+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Junior Member

    If you had to do it over again, would you buy the D750 again?

    Couple questions:

    First, after reading the first page of threads, it seems a fair number are about D750 problems. I'm thinking about upgrading and buying a used D750, but I don't want to buy a camera that doesn't have all the bugs worked out. So, if you had to buy a camera all over again, would you buy the D750 again or would you purchase a different Nikon model (which one?)?

    Secondly, if you had a D7200 and graduated to the D750 or another full-frame Nikon model, was the upgrade worth it? I understand folks use cameras for various reasons to photograph various subjects, so whether an upgrade is "worth it" or not is quite subjective. That being said, all things considered and generally speaking are you happy with the upgrade from a D7200 (or any Nikon DX camera) to a D750?

    I understand the megapixel on the D7200 and D750 are basically the same. The only big difference is the full-frame sensor. If the megapixel spec is the same between cameras, will a full-frame sensor make that much of a difference? (Sorry, I guess that's three questions.)


    › See More: If you had to do it over again, would you buy the D750 again?



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    mikew's Avatar

    Re: If you had to do it over again, would you buy the D750 again?

    As far as i know the D750 had only one problem ? may be wrong.

    I had one and sold it,only because i made a mistake for bird photography the crop sensor works better,if i was looking for a full frame camera i would buy a D750 again with out a doubt.
    Mike

    Nikon D500,Sigma 100-400,Sigma 105 macro

    Nikon 1 V2,FT-1,10-30mm 30-110mm Viltrox extension tubes

    Olympus EM10 MK11,14-42,40-150








  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Roy1961's Avatar

    Re: If you had to do it over again, would you buy the D750 again?

    only I am also into birds I would have gotten one no problem. I still weighed it up when I bought the D500.
    Learn to laugh at yourself, everyone else is.
    D500, D7000. SB700.

    Nikkor 18-105mm, 35mm, 70-300mm and Sigma 50-500.

    LowePro 202 Slingshot bag, Wimberley Gimbal head, Benro Carbon Fiber Tripod.

    Vanguard Alta 263 Tripod with SBH-250 ballhead, Vanguard AM 263 Monopod with SBH-100 ballhead.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Catherder's Avatar

    Re: If you had to do it over again, would you buy the D750 again?

    D750 only had the shutter recall as far as I know, mine never had an issue but I sent it in for the recall anyway. Never had a problem with it. And would buy it again.
    A few cameras and some lenses


  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Horoscope Fish's Avatar

    Re: If you had to do it over again, would you buy the D750 again?

    Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post
    First, after reading the first page of threads, it seems a fair number are about D750 problems. I'm thinking about upgrading and buying a used D750, but I don't want to buy a camera that doesn't have all the bugs worked out. So, if you had to buy a camera all over again, would you buy the D750 again or would you purchase a different Nikon model (which one?)?
    I would absolutely buy the D750 again. Without hesitation.

    .....
    Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post
    Secondly, if you had a D7200 and graduated to the D750 or another full-frame Nikon model, was the upgrade worth it? I understand folks use cameras for various reasons to photograph various subjects, so whether an upgrade is "worth it" or not is quite subjective. That being said, all things considered and generally speaking are you happy with the upgrade from a D7200 (or any Nikon DX camera) to a D750?
    I shot DX for a long time, then and owned and shot with a D7100 and a D750 and now I shoot with the D750 exclusively. I don't think of shooting with an FX body as an "upgrade" to shooting a DX body, it's a lateral move if you ask me. I can't really say if switching from DX to FX was "worth it" or not because I don't see the move in those terms. I moved to a full-frame body because that's the direction my photography took.

    Moving to FX instead of DX didn't make me a better photographer, but it very well may have changed the kind of photographer I'm becoming.

    .....
    Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post
    I understand the megapixel on the D7200 and D750 are basically the same. The only big difference is the full-frame sensor. If the megapixel spec is the same between cameras, will a full-frame sensor make that much of a difference? (Sorry, I guess that's three questions.)
    Since the total number of pixels is, as you point out, essentially the same (24 million, give or take) the pixels on the full-frame sensor are, obviously, larger than the pixels on the smaller DX sensor. Having larger pixels helps when shooting in low light, primarily. How much it helps is a little more subjective.
    Last edited by Horoscope Fish; 09-13-2017 at 08:10 PM.
    Thanks/Like Pretzel Thanks/liked this post
     
    ~ Paul
    ....
    ....
    Primary Weaponolgy :: D750 (OLPF Removed), MB-D10; Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2, Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD,
    Nikon 85mm f/1.8G; Yongnuo 568EX, Nikon SB-700; Manfrotto X055PROB, 3-Legged Thing Airhed II... All Stuffed into a Manfrotto Pro Backpack 50
    ....
    ....
    ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ๑۩۩๑ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    hark's Avatar

    Re: If you had to do it over again, would you buy the D750 again?

    I've had a regular problem with my D750 giving an ERR message when the camera is first turned on. The first time it happened, the shutter locked up completely. I had to turn the camera off and remove the battery before I could the shutter to release. Now when it happens, all I have to do is to press the shutter button again. And this problem doesn't have anything to do with the shutter recall either.

    I believe @Blacktop also has a shutter ERR problem although his is different from mine. And he sent his in and had the shutter replaced, too, although I don't think it stopped his ERR from happening.
    Cindy
    Flickr
    and
    My 2017 Thread
    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci

    Nikon 14mm f/2.8; Nikon 16mm f/2.8 fisheye; Nikon 85mm f/1.8G; Nikon 105 f/2.8G micro VR; Nikon 180mm f/2.8; Nikon 300mm f/4 AF-S
    Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G; Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8; Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII; Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR


  7. #7
    Staff
    Super Mod
    Don Kuykendall's Avatar

    Re: If you had to do it over again, would you buy the D750 again?

    D750 only had the shutter recall as far as I know, mine never had an issue but I sent it in for the recall anyway. Never had a problem with it

    I have a D7100 also and my wife now uses it. It is a fantastic camera also but I do think the D750 is a much better camera. The thing about any camera is not the equipment as much as it is the person operating it.



    ================================================== ============================
    D750***D7100***24-120 f/4 ***70-300***Tamron 150-600***Tokina 16-28 f2.8***50mm f/1.8***Photoshop/Lightroom CC

  8. #8
    THAT guy.
    Jonahex2099's Avatar

    Re: If you had to do it over again, would you buy the D750 again?

    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    I've had a regular problem with my D750 giving an ERR message when the camera is first turned on. The first time it happened, the shutter locked up completely. I had to turn the camera off and remove the battery before I could the shutter to release. Now when it happens, all I have to do is to press the shutter button again. And this problem doesn't have anything to do with the shutter recall either.

    I believe @Blacktop also has a shutter ERR problem although his is different from mine. And he sent his in and had the shutter replaced, too, although I don't think it stopped his ERR from happening.
    I have this happen *after* the shutter recall, which I had mine replaced, quite regularly and fairly easy to duplicate. Take first shot, shutter locks open, tho depressing release cleared the lock and would go on as normal. As soon as I change a lens and turn the camera back on, it happens again...release, and normal again until I'm done, power off, or change lenses again.

    I'm actually sending it back to Nikon, at cost to me, since it's been longer than 6 months since it was first replaced. Sort of hacked but I like the camera and it's low-light performance is phenomenal....

    That all being said, would absolutely buy it again...
    Tim
    Cameras
    D810 | D750 | D500 | D50 | J3
    Glass
    Nikon 8-15 Fisheye | 14-24 | 24-85 | 200-500 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 105 2.8 | N1 18.5 2.8 | N1 10-30 | N1 30-110
    Tamron 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8
    Sigma 18-35 1.8 ART | 50-100 1.8 ART
    Tokina 11-16 2.8
    Rokinon 85 1.4 MF | 8mm F3.5 Fisheye
    FLICKR!

  9. #9
    Junior Member

    Re: If you had to do it over again, would you buy the D750 again?

    Thank you so much for the excellent and informative comments!

    I basically shoot landscape, cityscape and street photography.

    Hypothetical situation:

    Let's say I'm photographing a forest of aspen trees. The light is partly cloudy with the sun having just set. I'm using a D7200 and a D750, both on tripods, both with the same lens, both with exactly the same settings.

    I download and post process each image identically and print them back to back with the same printer as a 16x20 black and white print on the same fine art grade, glossy paper.

    Would I notice a difference between the two prints?

  10. #10
    Junior Member

    Re: If you had to do it over again, would you buy the D750 again?

    Yes. I have not had my D750 very long and bought it for it's low light capability. I shoot a lot of video as well as stills and have used the Panasonic GH line of cameras for years. The GH are great at video but I always felt the stills required too much Lightroom/Photoshop to get a good image and the micro 4/3 sensor just doesn't have what it takes for low light event shooting.


    I have been both happy and disappointed with the D750. I love the low light handling of the full frame sensor but find it's auto focus to very slow compared to the GH5. For many shoots the slow focus is not much of an issue as I prefer manual focus when time permits. However on a recent trip to Alaska I set aside the D750 for the GH5 on most days because I needed a fast auto focus when shooting from a boat or train.


    It might not be a fair comparison in that the GH5 has so much new technology but on the other hand I love the images of the D750 and it is perfect for the shoots that I bought it for. In short I often have both on a dual Black Rapid harness!
    Last edited by jmcadory; 09-14-2017 at 03:12 AM.





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •