+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Senior Member

    Wanting to upgrade, camera or lens?

    Hello Nikonites. Was trying to get some opinions from better educated people then me. I'm looking at upgrading my gear. I'm thinking of moving up to a D7200 from my D3200. I rented a D7200 this weekend but haven't been impressed so far. Most images seem to be blurry. Or out of focus. Not sure if that's a operator error (assuming so) or since it's a rented body if something is wrong with the camera. As I know the 7200 can take amazing photos. My budget is about $800, which eliminates the D7500 unless I go used which is alittle over $800.

    I shoot mostly sports, motorsports, wildlife and landscapes. Very seldom do my shoots include people.

    Reasons for 7200:
    I like the new control options with the dual dial.
    Dual card slot
    Like the focus squares better then the small dots on 3200.
    Suppose to be better at low light, as far as I know.
    WiFi built in.
    Focus motor built in so it can use any lens. Which raises even more questions. Lol

    Reaons for new lens:
    More reach for wildlife, so something 400mm+.
    The Tamron lens isn't the best. So maybe I should look at a used 70-200 2.8? But that kills me even more for wildlife. So, maybe I need to compromise with a better 70-300?

    So many questions and so many options. So please help me out. Lol


    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk


    › See More: Wanting to upgrade, camera or lens?



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Danno's Avatar

    Re: Wanting to upgrade, camera or lens?

    I upgraded from a D3200 to a D7200 and like any upgrade it takes a bit of time to get used to the system. I had a lot of trouble getting used to the focus system. Shifted to single point AF-C and that helped me get used to the new systems.
    Dan~~Kentucky

    "The natural man must know in order to believe; The spiritual man must believe in order to know. " ~ Aiden Wilson Tozer ~ "The Dwelling Place of God"

    Nikon Z 6 Nikon D7200 w/Grip, Nikon D700 w/Grip, AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR, Nikon 14-24 f/2.8, Nikkor 50mm/1.8G, Tamron 28-75, Tamron 70-200 F/2.8
    Yongnuo Speedlight YN568EX, Vanguard ALTA Pro 264AB Tripod, Vanguard
    SBH-100 ball head Beike Gimbal Head, ARCA Swiss B1 ball head

    https://www.dailywalkinthelight.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Bikerbrent's Avatar

    Re: Wanting to upgrade, camera or lens?

    I have a D7200 and love it. When I first upgraded from my D200 to the D7200, I was disappointed with the new camera. However, after a little practice, I learned how to use it to maximum benefit. Most users on this site, frankly, consider the D7500 as a downgrade from the D7200.

    Also, I assume you were using the Nikon 18-55mm lens and frankly this lens is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I had a Tamron 200-400mm lens which worked OK on my D200 but turned out to be a real dog when it came to sharpness on my D7200 (which is why I lno longer own it). So this could also be contributing to your issues.
    Brent: Poway, CA
    D7200, D200, F100
    Tokina 12-24mm
    Nikon 18-200mm
    Tokina 28-70mm f2.6-2.8
    Nikon 80-200mm f2.8
    Sigma 150-600mm
    Nikon 50 AF f1.8
    Tokina 100mm f2.8 Macro
    Nikon SB800

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Re: Wanting to upgrade, camera or lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbrent View Post
    I have a D7200 and love it. When I first upgraded from my D200 to the D7200, I was disappointed with the new camera. However, after a little practice, I learned how to use it to maximum benefit. Most users on this site, frankly, consider the D7500 as a downgrade from the D7200.

    Also, I assume you were using the Nikon 18-55mm lens and frankly this lens is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I had a Tamron 200-400mm lens which worked OK on my D200 but turned out to be a real dog when it came to sharpness on my D7200 (which is why I lno longer own it). So this could also be contributing to your issues.
    Could have sworn I had all my info in the post. But maybe I messed it up on my phone. Lol but I actually have
    Nikon 50mm 1.8G (use 25% of the time)
    Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di VC (use 75% of the time) and most of photos so far in the rented model have Been with the 70-300.

    And that's kinda what I was thinking as well on the 7500. That it's a downgrade.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by drummerJ99; 04-06-2019 at 08:08 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Bikerbrent's Avatar

    Re: Wanting to upgrade, camera or lens?

    I got the 18-55mm lens from your profile. It was the only lens you had listed there. The Tamron 70-300 is not a bad lens so this should not be the issue. When you got the rental camera, did you do a full factory reset on the camera. Something that is always recommended on a rental camera. You never know what settings the previous user may have set. Also, the user might have had the same lens and fine tuned it to his lens which could vary greatly from your copy. Can you post some of your photos with EXIF data as this would help us determine any possible issues. However, far too many users of the D7200 rave about this cameras ability, therefore I would think it likely it was a settings or learning curve issue.
    Brent: Poway, CA
    D7200, D200, F100
    Tokina 12-24mm
    Nikon 18-200mm
    Tokina 28-70mm f2.6-2.8
    Nikon 80-200mm f2.8
    Sigma 150-600mm
    Nikon 50 AF f1.8
    Tokina 100mm f2.8 Macro
    Nikon SB800

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Re: Wanting to upgrade, camera or lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbrent View Post
    I got the 18-55mm lens from your profile. It was the only lens you had listed there. The Tamron 70-300 is not a bad lens so this should not be the issue. When you got the rental camera, did you do a full factory reset on the camera. Something that is always recommended on a rental camera. You never know what settings the previous user may have set. Also, the user might have had the same lens and fine tuned it to his lens which could vary greatly from your copy. Can you post some of your photos with EXIF data as this would help us determine any possible issues. However, far too many users of the D7200 rave about this cameras ability, therefore I would think it likely it was a settings or learning curve issue.
    Guess it's time for me to update profile lol as evidently I haven't done that in awhile. I actually haven't done a factory reset. I may try that. And I agree that everything I've heard is raves about the 7200. So I'm assuming it's user error from using new camera.

    Out of town at the moment but will post images later tonight.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Bengan's Avatar

    Re: Wanting to upgrade, camera or lens?

    The D7200 is a fantastic camera, well priced. I have no doubt that it would be a great choise.
    Bengt - D810; D7200
    Tamron 24-70/2.8 G2; Sigma 14-24/2.8
    Sigma 150-600 C; Sigma 105/2.8 Macro
    Pentax K-1, K-3, Spotmatic, ME, K-2; Rolleiflex

  8. #8
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Wanting to upgrade, camera or lens?

    I don't think Nikon makes a grip for the D7500 so if you would ever need one for motorsports, I think there is an aftermarket grip available. The sensor of the D7500 edges out the D7200 slightly, but the D7200 is still quite impressive!

    So which is your biggest concern at the moment? Needing a longer reach? Or do you want easier access to the controls?

    The D7200 should have better low light capabilities and an improved AF system. Does the D3200 allow continuous shooting? The D7200 can be set up for back button focus. I don't think that's an option on the D3200. BBF would be a phenomenal option for motorsports.

    As far as lenses go, some of the longer lenses within your budget will still be slow to focus. Tamron and Sigma make 150-600mm lenses, but you'd be looking at used. And most likely even those would exceed your budget.

    Sorry, there isn't a lot of helpful info that I can add. Good luck with whatever you choose!
    Cindy
    Flickr
    and My 2019 Thread

    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci



  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Re: Wanting to upgrade, camera or lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    I don't think Nikon makes a grip for the D7500 so if you would ever need one for motorsports, I think there is an aftermarket grip available. The sensor of the D7500 edges out the D7200 slightly, but the D7200 is still quite impressive!

    So which is your biggest concern at the moment? Needing a longer reach? Or do you want easier access to the controls?

    The D7200 should have better low light capabilities and an improved AF system. Does the D3200 allow continuous shooting? The D7200 can be set up for back button focus. I don't think that's an option on the D3200. BBF would be a phenomenal option for motorsports.

    As far as lenses go, some of the longer lenses within your budget will still be slow to focus. Tamron and Sigma make 150-600mm lenses, but you'd be looking at used. And most likely even those would exceed your budget.

    Sorry, there isn't a lot of helpful info that I can add. Good luck with whatever you choose!
    Yeah the battery grip for the D7500 or lack there of does kinda bug me. Never have understood why they take away features.

    The low light is capabilities is one of my biggest selling point on upgrading. At a concert tonight so will give my rented 7200 a good test run.

    The 3200 does allow both continues shooting (think it's 3fps) and back button focus.

    I think I've talked myself into the D7200. The price is good good and it'd be new and not used.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Wanting to upgrade, camera or lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by drummerJ99 View Post
    Never have understood why they take away features.
    From things that have been reported, Nikon might do away with the D3x00 and D5x00 series bodies. That means the D7500 might be their entry level consumer body. And perhaps it's the reason why some of the features were removed. But we will have to see....
    Cindy
    Flickr
    and My 2019 Thread

    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci







Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •