+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    lizp130's Avatar

    RAW newbie AND new 35mm lens

    I'm co-mingling questions here - and am new to figuring out which forum topic to post to - AND, have used the search but perhaps I need some tips on that as well So, no doubt this has been discussed elsewhere - feel free to steer me to any/all posts!

    Question 1:
    I was reading a well overdue article on shooting RAW - and for whatever lazy reason have shot in the perfunctory jpeg only (D7200). I set up Raw (NEF) in slot 1, jpeg in slot 2. Is this the norm, using both slots as such? And, what do I do now that I have both a RAW and jpeg image? Or, I should ask, what do you do?

    Question 2:
    Related to question 1 - I received my dandy new nikkor 35mm lens yesterday, and today tried just a handful of shots of my cat, to get my first feel for the lens. The images are dup in Raw and jpeg. Furthermore, I have Photoshop CS6 and the file opens with the plugin Camera Raw9.1.1. That much I'm sure I can find a tutorial for, but anyone using CS6 Raw with tips would be a great help

    Also! Best place to post/share photos? I'm assuming that's based on the purpose of sharing said photos (Feedback, new lens, photo subject, etc...)

    ----------------------------------------------------------------

    Hi I'm Liz! Here's my gig:
    Nikon D7200
    Nikkor 18-140mm AF-S VR f/3.5-5.6
    Nikkor 35mm AF-S f/1.8
    Nikkor 200-500mm AF-S VR f/5.6
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Photoshop CS6




    › See More: RAW newbie AND new 35mm lens



  2. #2
    Staff
    Super Mod
    Don Kuykendall's Avatar

    Re: RAW newbie AND new 35mm lens

    Question 1:
    I was reading a well overdue article on shooting RAW - and for whatever lazy reason have shot in the perfunctory jpeg only (D7200). I set up Raw (NEF) in slot 1, jpeg in slot 2. Is this the norm, using both slots as such? And, what do I do now that I have both a RAW and jpeg image? Or, I should ask, what do you do?

    I started off this way but only shoot RAW now. This is a good way to start learning RAW. Just remember that you must add sharpness to the RAW photos. Just don't overdo it.

    Question 2:
    Related to question 1 - I received my dandy new nikkor 35mm lens yesterday, and today tried just a handful of shots of my cat, to get my first feel for the lens. The images are dup in Raw and jpeg. Furthermore, I have Photoshop CS6 and the file opens with the plugin Camera Raw9.1.1. That much I'm sure I can find a tutorial for, but anyone using CS6 Raw with tips would be a great help

    Also! Best place to post/share photos? I'm assuming that's based on the purpose of sharing said photos (Feedback, new lens, photo subject, etc...)

    ----------------------------------------------------------------

    Guidelines to adding a photo to your post.

    1. Resize photo to 1000px on the long side.
    2. Resolution set to 72ppi (Pixels Per Inch)

    These guidelines will be good for viewing on a computer but will not be good for printing. This will help safeguard your copyright.







    Thanks/Like lizp130 Thanks/liked this post
     

    ================================================== ============================
    D750***D7100***24-120 f/4 ***70-300***Tamron 150-600***Tokina 16-28 f2.8***50mm f/1.8***Photoshop/Lightroom CC

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Needa's Avatar

    Re: RAW newbie AND new 35mm lens

    I shoot raw only and slot 2 is set to backup. So I have two cards with the same info. Others do thing depending their needs and experiences. Can't give you any help with PS don't use it. As far as were to post you can start your own thread or you can post in what ever thread seem most relevant. Some try to post everyday and have a thread in the Project 365 other weekly and post in their own thread in the 52 both in general photography. Others start their own thread and post when ever. And don't overlook the Monthly Assignment and Weekly Challenge.
    Thanks/Like lizp130 Thanks/liked this post
     

  4. #4
    Staff
    Challenge Team
    Moderator
    RocketCowboy's Avatar

    Re: RAW newbie AND new 35mm lens

    I still, after four years, shoot both jpg and raw. The jpgs typically never get used, other than for a quick share or reference image, and anything meaningful goes through Lightroom as raw to be processed. I do not try to edit the jpg files directly, if a jpg from the camera needs editing, I go to the raw and edit there.

    Hope that helps, and welcome to Nikonites!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks/Like lizp130 Thanks/liked this post
     
    Charlie, aka RocketCowboy

    Up For A Challenge??? Join the Weekly Photo Challenge!!!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Moab Man's Avatar

    Re: RAW newbie AND new 35mm lens

    I shoot raw and jpeg in most situations. jpeg because it's easy to show if I know I will need it in a pinch or I'm shooting jpeg only for a high action sport where I know the buffer may be an issue. If I'm jpeg only then I make darn sure I have my white balance right and my exposure since you simply don't have the latitude of adjustment you do with raw. If I know I'm going to have the time to edit and I know that there will be few images I will actually keep, then I'm raw only.

    There is no wrong right answer, but what works for your workflow.
    Thanks/Like lizp130 Thanks/liked this post
     
    D5100, D7100, D600, D750, Df
    Lenses: Nikon DX 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 55-300mm, Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD & 200-500mm
    Prime: Nikon 35mm, 50mm, & 85mm f/1.8G, 300mm f/4
    Wide Angle: Tokina AT-X116 Pro DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8, Rokinon f/2.8 14mm (chipped)
    Macro: Nikon 40mm, Tamron 90mm
    ​Flash: Nissin MARK II Di622
    Stuff: Expodisc Neutral & Portrait
    ​Editing: CS6, CC, Nik Tools, Portrait Pro 12, Topaz
    Spyder4Pro
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/122672034@N04/

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Horoscope Fish's Avatar

    Re: RAW newbie AND new 35mm lens

    Quote Originally Posted by lizp130 View Post
    Question 1:
    I was reading a well overdue article on shooting RAW - and for whatever lazy reason have shot in the perfunctory jpeg only (D7200). I set up Raw (NEF) in slot 1, jpeg in slot 2. Is this the norm, using both slots as such? And, what do I do now that I have both a RAW and jpeg image? Or, I should ask, what do you do?
    It's not uncommon for someone new to shooting raw to shoot with raw files going to Slot 1 and JPG's going to Slot 2. This way you have raw files to learn on and a finished product you can share right away while you secretly polish your processing skills. As you get more confident in your processing you may decide to forgo JPG's altogether; that will be up to you. It's good to have choices though. Personally I rarely shoot JPG but when I do, the raw files to go to Slot 1 and the JPG's go to Slot 2.

    .....
    Quote Originally Posted by lizp130 View Post
    Question 2:
    Related to question 1 - I received my dandy new nikkor 35mm lens yesterday, and today tried just a handful of shots of my cat, to get my first feel for the lens. The images are dup in Raw and jpeg. Furthermore, I have Photoshop CS6 and the file opens with the plugin Camera Raw9.1.1. That much I'm sure I can find a tutorial for, but anyone using CS6 Raw with tips would be a great help
    I would suggest you start here: Adobe Camera Raw Tutorials and here Photoshop CS6 Tutorials.

    If you're serious about wanting to learn ACR/Photoshop/photography in general I can't suggest getting a subscription to Lynda.com too highly. There are sooooo many great courses on Adobe Bridge, ACR, Photoshop and just general photography on Lynda... Really fantastic site.
    Thanks/Like lizp130 Thanks/liked this post
     
    ~ Paul
    ....
    ....
    Primary Kit :: D750 (OLPF Removed), MB-D10; Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2, Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art,
    Godox Flashes & Triggers, Manfrotto X055PROB, 3-Legged Thing Airhed II... All Stuffed into a Manfrotto Pro Backpack 50
    ....
    ....
    ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ๑۩۩๑ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    lokatz's Avatar

    Re: RAW newbie AND new 35mm lens

    Hi Liz, I'm another photographer who used to shoot RAW+JPEG and now shoots RAW only because I have absolutely no use for the JPEGs anymore. Shooting JPEG means you mostly leave it to your camera how the picture eventually looks. Like @RocketCowboy said, JPEG might occasionally be useful as a quick reference, but I mostly kept deleting them eventually anyway without using any. Shooting RAW means you retain full control, but it also means, almost more important to me, that you can always keep the original RAW file to go back to, even if you find down the road you no longer like the look you created in editing your image, or if you bought some software with new features you would love to apply to your old pics.

    I own PS CS6, too. Make no mistake: it takes years to learn at least the majority of its features. The nice thing is, though, that you don't have to - you can start with some basic editing stuff and then take things from there as you develop your skills. For instance, start with Camera RAW and just play a little with its sliders. Most pictures benefit substantially if you lower the highlights, increase the shadows, increase clarity (careful - not too much), and then slightly increase vibrance and/or saturation. Go to the White Balance tab if you think the colors are a little off, add some Sharpening to make details stand out more and use other tools as you see fit, then click Open and save the image. At some point, you will feel you have a pretty good idea of what all of these tools do with your RAW, and you'll probably never go back to JPEG. That's when you're ready to start figuring out how to apply masks, make local changes, etc. in PS.

    BTW, Lightroom is an easier tool to use, which is why it is often mentioned, but unless you're willing to subscribe to it, using Photoshop for all your image editing is just fine and will support you all the way from simple adjustments to very complex image editing.

    Most importantly: have fun!


    I backup my pics from the camera card frequently. Alternatively, you can always set Slot2 as backup as @Needa suggested.
    Last edited by lokatz; 11-20-2017 at 12:02 AM.
    Thanks/Like lizp130, singlerosa Thanks/liked this post
     
    Lothar Katz

    Nikon D700, D500, D7100, 1 J5, 200-500 f/5.6, 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron 60 f/2 Macro - Sigma 100-400 f/5-6.3, 17-70 f/2.8-4 - Tokina 12-28 f/4 - Yongnou YN568 - Panasonic TZ101 (a.k.a. ZN100) - Photoshop CS6 - Lightroom 6 - DXO PhotoLab - Aurora HDR 2018


  8. #8
    Junior Member
    lizp130's Avatar

    Re: RAW newbie AND new 35mm lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Horoscope Fish View Post
    ..
    I would suggest you start here: Adobe Camera Raw Tutorials and here Photoshop CS6 Tutorials.

    If you're serious about wanting to learn ACR/Photoshop/photography in general I can't suggest getting a subscription to Lynda.com too highly. There are sooooo many great courses on Adobe Bridge, ACR, Photoshop and just general photography on Lynda... Really fantastic site.
    Thanks Paul! I've had one formal intro to Photoshop CS5 class (thru work), which of course barely scratched the surface - and have been using CS6 for a few years now. I need to look at Raw tutorials for sure - and check out Lynda as well

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    lizp130's Avatar

    Re: RAW newbie AND new 35mm lens

    Quote Originally Posted by lokatz View Post
    Hi Liz, I'm another photographer who used to shoot RAW+JPEG and now shoots RAW only because I have absolutely no use for the JPEGs anymore. Shooting JPEG means you mostly leave it to your camera how the picture eventually looks. Like @RocketCowboy said, JPEG might occasionally be useful as a quick reference, but I mostly kept deleting them eventually anyway without using any. Shooting RAW means you retain full control, but it also means, almost more important to me, that you can always keep the original RAW file to go back to, even if you find down the road you no longer like the look you created in editing your image, or if you bought some software with new features you would love to apply to your old pics.

    I own PS CS6, too. Make no mistake: it takes years to learn at least the majority of its features. The nice thing is, though, that you don't have to - you can start with some basic editing stuff and then take things from there as you develop your skills. For instance, start with Camera RAW and just play a little with its sliders. Most pictures benefit substantially if you lower the highlights, increase the shadows, increase clarity (careful - not too much), and then slightly increase vibrance and/or saturation. Go to the White Balance tab if you think the colors are a little off, add some Sharpening to make details stand out more and use other tools as you see fit, then click Open and save the image. At some point, you will feel you have a pretty good idea of what all of these tools do with your RAW, and you'll probably never go back to JPEG. That's when you're ready to start figuring out how to apply masks, make local changes, etc. in PS.

    BTW, Lightroom is an easier tool to use, which is why it is often mentioned, but unless you're willing to subscribe to it, using Photoshop for all your image editing is just fine and will support you all the way from simple adjustments to very complex image editing.

    Most importantly: have fun!


    I backup my pics from the camera card frequently. Alternatively, you can always set Slot2 as backup as @Needa suggested.
    While I lament so many photos I didn't shoot in RAW format, I sure look forward to my future pics. And getting used to RAW editing. Thanks all for the solid advice on this from everyone in the thread

    I'm fortunate to have CS6 on my work laptop, hence until that changes I will stick with it. I would consider myself an experienced "basic" user - as indeed it is hugely robust, beyond what I need to know for my editing purposes. I have a macbook too and have contemplated Lightroom - maybe someday!

    Always fun! Thanks Lothar (and everyone) for the great info!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Horoscope Fish's Avatar

    Re: RAW newbie AND new 35mm lens

    Quote Originally Posted by lizp130 View Post
    ... I have a macbook too and have contemplated Lightroom - maybe someday!
    As far as editing image files goes, Adobe Camera Raw *is* Lightroom without the Digital Asset Management aspect (aka "Catalogs"). ACR and Lightroom use different graphic interfaces but the under the hood the applications are the same. Anything you can do in LR, you can do in ACR. Further, I don't think Lightroom is any easier, nor is Photoshop any *more* difficult, to learn than any other application. Photoshop is a staggeringly powerful application that has enormous flexibility and i think many assume that equates to being difficult to learn. I'm telling you it's not. It's just not.
    Thanks/Like lizp130 Thanks/liked this post
     
    ~ Paul
    ....
    ....
    Primary Kit :: D750 (OLPF Removed), MB-D10; Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2, Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art,
    Godox Flashes & Triggers, Manfrotto X055PROB, 3-Legged Thing Airhed II... All Stuffed into a Manfrotto Pro Backpack 50
    ....
    ....
    ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ๑۩۩๑ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •