+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Junior Member

    D7200 Shutter Problems (slow shutter actuations)

    This is my first post on the forum. I've been reading a good number of posts on various topics and gained a much better understanding of photography.

    But I'm having a problem I'm hoping someone can help me with (If already discussed, please provide the link.)

    Approximately 10-15% of the time I press the shutter it either doesn't fire or there's a significant lag before it finally fires. I've noticed that removing then reinstalling my zoom lens, the problem goes away. But then the auto-focus (back focus) won't work. It seems when the auto-focus is working, then I experience the intermittent shutter problem. But when the shutter is working fine, then I have an intermittent auto-focus problem. I've tried a fixed lens but still had the problem. I've tried a different flash card, but still had the problem. The problem has occurred at all shutter speeds, all apertures. I always shoot in manual mode, so I'm not sure if there's a problem a shutter/aperture priority or full automatic. The problem also occurs when using a manual cable release.

    The camera isn't that old, maybe three years. And the shutter actuations are easily under 10,000. The camera has never been dropped or misused. I did a lot of internet research but didn't find any consistent shutter problems with the 7200. I did see a recurring warning that apparently appears on the screen, but my camera shows no such warnings.

    I think sending it in for repair (Where's the best place to send it? Nikon? Other?) is my next step, but I thought as a last resort I'd join the forum to see if any of you folks, who are far more learned about this stuff than I am, might have some thoughts on what could be wrong. But my worry about sending it in is they'll replace the shutter and the problem will persist.

    Maybe I should just sell it and get a used full-frame D750, but then all my DX lenses are crap. UGH!

    Note: There's a typo in my title. It should read "low" not "slow" shutter actuations.


    › See More: D7200 Shutter Problems (slow shutter actuations)
    Last edited by floyd; 09-13-2017 at 06:30 PM.



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Horoscope Fish's Avatar

    re: D7200 Shutter Problems (slow shutter actuations)

    Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post
    This is my first post on the forum. I've been reading a good number of posts on various topics and gained a much better understanding of photography.

    But I'm having a problem I'm hoping someone can help me with (If already discussed, please provide the link.)

    Approximately 10-15% of the time I press the shutter it either doesn't fire or there's a significant lag before it finally fires. I've noticed that removing then reinstalling my zoom lens, the problem goes away. But then the auto-focus (back focus) won't work. It seems when the auto-focus is working, then I experience the intermittent shutter problem. But when the shutter is working fine, then I have an intermittent auto-focus problem. I've tried a fixed lens but still had the problem. I've tried a different flash card, but still had the problem. The problem has occurred at all shutter speeds, all apertures. I always shoot in manual mode, so I'm not sure if there's a problem a shutter/aperture priority or full automatic. The problem also occurs when using a manual cable release.

    The camera isn't that old, maybe three years. And the shutter actuations are easily under 10,000. The camera has never been dropped or misused. I did a lot of internet research but didn't find any consistent shutter problems with the 7200. I did see a recurring warning that apparently appears on the screen, but my camera shows no such warnings.

    I think sending it in for repair (Where's the best place to send it? Nikon? Other?) is my next step, but I thought as a last resort I'd join the forum to see if any of you folks, who are far more learned about this stuff than I am, might have some thoughts on what could be wrong. But my worry about sending it in is they'll replace the shutter and the problem will persist.

    Maybe I should just sell it and get a used full-frame D750, but then all the lenses are crap. UGH!
    You could try cleaning the contacts on both your lenses and the camera using denatured alcohol or, my preferred cleaner, DeoxIT D100L and see if that solves the problem. DeoxIT is freakishly good stuff and this issue sounds like a communication problem between lens and body; so maybe a good contacts cleaning will solve the problem. The only other thing I can think of to suggest is doing a two-button reset and frankly I doubt it will help in this situation but it can't hurt to try...

    To restore your Nikon D7200 to its default factory settings, press and hold down the two "green dot" buttons, the ISO Button and the [+/- ] Exposure Compensation Button at the same time until the top-mounted LCD turns off briefly while the camera resets itself. This is a long shot solution, but sometime it works.
    .....
    D7200 Shutter Problems (slow shutter actuations)-nikon-d7200-factory-reset.jpg
    ~ Paul
    ....
    ....
    Primary Weaponolgy :: D750 (OLPF Removed), MB-D10; Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2, Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD,
    Nikon 85mm f/1.8G; Yongnuo 568EX, Nikon SB-700; Manfrotto X055PROB, 3-Legged Thing Airhed II... All Stuffed into a Manfrotto Pro Backpack 50
    ....
    ....
    ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ๑۩۩๑ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●

  3. #3
    Junior Member

    re: D7200 Shutter Problems (slow shutter actuations)

    Thanks, HF!

    I'll try cleaning the contacts. I already did the restore but the problem persisted.

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    re: D7200 Shutter Problems (slow shutter actuations)

    I think the camera would give an error of some sort if the actual shutter had a problem. My guess is something else is wrong or broken and not giving the camera the ok to fire the shutter.
    Make sure your settings are good. For back button focus, you should be set for af-c. Menu a1 should be set for release priority. Menu a4 should say 'off' (set for 'AF ON only'). Set focus area mode to single point and make sure its in the center. With these settings, you should be able to auto focus all day long with the back button. The shutter should also click all day long without regard to if the camera is focused or not. Try that and see what you get. Also make sure the lens is clicking in solidly when mounting. Give it a twist in both directions without pushing the lens release. I say this because I've heard of more than one person holding the lens release button while installing the the lens which could allow the lens to tighten past the click and cause all sorts of weird problems.
    If the camera won't release the shutter with the settings above, remove the lens and set the camera mode dial to M. Pick some random shutter speed and fire away, the shutter should release every time.
    I must have a really good camera.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Bikerbrent's Avatar

    re: D7200 Shutter Problems (slow shutter actuations)

    Welcome aboard. Enjoy the ride.
    We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

    I have nothing to add to the above suggestions.
    Brent: Poway, CA
    D7200, D200, D70, F100
    Tokina 12-24mm
    Nikon 18-200mm
    Nikon 18-70mm
    Tokina 28-70mm f2.6-2.8
    Nikon 80-200mm f2.8
    Sigma 150-600mm
    Nikon 50 AF f1.8
    Tokina 100mm f2.8 Macro
    Nikon SB800

  6. #6
    Junior Member

    re: D7200 Shutter Problems (slow shutter actuations)

    Thanks, Nick! Great suggestions. I'll check all the settings you mentioned and make sure the lens is clicking properly in place.

    If I do end up having to send it in for repair, any suggestions who does a good job at a fair price? Or should I take it to my local Nikon camera dealer and have them send it in? Seems if I send it in myself I might save some money by avoiding the middleman.

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    re: D7200 Shutter Problems (slow shutter actuations)

    No idea on the repair, luckily I've never had an issue with any of my Nikon stuff. Good luck to you.
    I must have a really good camera.

  8. #8
    Junior Member

    re: D7200 Shutter Problems (slow shutter actuations)

    Quote Originally Posted by nickt View Post
    I think the camera would give an error of some sort if the actual shutter had a problem. My guess is something else is wrong or broken and not giving the camera the ok to fire the shutter.
    Make sure your settings are good. For back button focus, you should be set for af-c. Menu a1 should be set for release priority. Menu a4 should say 'off' (set for 'AF ON only'). Set focus area mode to single point and make sure its in the center. With these settings, you should be able to auto focus all day long with the back button. The shutter should also click all day long without regard to if the camera is focused or not. Try that and see what you get. Also make sure the lens is clicking in solidly when mounting. Give it a twist in both directions without pushing the lens release. I say this because I've heard of more than one person holding the lens release button while installing the the lens which could allow the lens to tighten past the click and cause all sorts of weird problems.
    If the camera won't release the shutter with the settings above, remove the lens and set the camera mode dial to M. Pick some random shutter speed and fire away, the shutter should release every time.
    Hey, Nick!

    I checked the settings you referred to in your post. I also took the lens off, set camera to manual and fired at least ten shots without any problems.

    Anyways, my back focus settings were not set the way you suggested.

    Back button focus was not set to AF-C (was set at AF-S)
    Menu A1 was not set for "priority." (was set to "focus")
    Focus are was set to single point.

    I made the changes you suggested. I'm hoping to photograph on Wednesday (star trails). I'll post how the camera performs.

    Thank you so much! You may have just saved me hundreds of dollars and more frustration.

    Floyd
    Thanks/Like nickt Thanks/liked this post
     

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Re: D7200 Shutter Problems (slow shutter actuations)

    Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post
    Hey, Nick!

    I checked the settings you referred to in your post. I also took the lens off, set camera to manual and fired at least ten shots without any problems.

    Anyways, my back focus settings were not set the way you suggested.

    Back button focus was not set to AF-C (was set at AF-S)
    Menu A1 was not set for "priority." (was set to "focus")
    Focus are was set to single point.

    I made the changes you suggested. I'm hoping to photograph on Wednesday (star trails). I'll post how the camera performs.

    Thank you so much! You may have just saved me hundreds of dollars and more frustration.

    Floyd
    To get the full benefit of back button focus, you need the settings I describe, but you may find individuals that set them differently for specific needs. For the bbf technique, you want to be able to hold that bb down and get continuous focus on demand. You can keep the button held down to track focus and shoot on demand as well. Its on you to be sure the camera is tracking your subject because the shutter will fire regardless. Or bbf scenario 2 is that you can let the button go after acquiring focus and recompose and shoot. This gives you a pseudo af-s mode. For all that to work though, you must be in af-c and release priority mode. By having your camera in af-s mode, it would be looking to the A2 menu which was likely set for the default of focus priority. Being in focus priority mode along with bbf can put you in a condition where the shutter appears to randomly not fire. In focus priority, the selected focus point MUST see focus. Also in focus priority, holding the bb button down will probably find focus and let you shoot. But if the subject is small, maybe not. It might feel like there is a delay as the focus point falls on and off the small subject. Letting the back button go, it gets even worse. If you recompose or the subject moves, the shutter likely won't fire because the focus point no longer sees focus. If you move the camera around while holding the shutter button and that focus point again randomly falls on something in focus, the camera will fire. This could be the delay or random behavior you were seeing.

    I hesitate to mention this and add confusion, but if you start experimenting, it will turn up. On the d7200 (not d7000 or d7100 or most other Nikon models), Nikon did a weird thing. If you set the bb to af-on and if you are in af-c and if menu a4 is off, the menu a1 setting is ignored and you get release priority behavior. They assume to know what you are after and they set release priority for you if all other conditions for bbf are met. This didn't help you because you were set for af-s anyway. I just mention this in case you try to duplicate the problem by turning release priority off and on, you'll have to go back to af-s to see the problem behavior.
    Thanks/Like hark Thanks/liked this post
    Best Answers Marcel voted best answer for this post
     
    I must have a really good camera.

  10. #10
    Junior Member

    Re: D7200 Shutter Problems (slow shutter actuations)

    Hi,

    I'm posting for the first time. Read about your dilemma regarding your D7200 shutter problem. I'm looking to buy the Nikon D7200 and wanted to know if the shutter or slow actuation is an inherited defect for the D7200, or is it just
    an isolated problem. Also, was the camera out of warranty? I appreciate any feedback, thanks!

    Kind regards,

    Lou Colon





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •