+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1
    Senior Member

    Searching for a D700 a good idea?

    I just missed an opportunity to buy a local pre-owned D700. Not that I was in the market for one, but....
    I own a great little D90 and have fancied moving over to full frame to see the difference myself. When I saw that D700 I started thinking that alternative would be a lower cost entry to test my full frame curiosity than targeting something newer (and I have no interest in video). Obviously having a newer more current camera would be nice, but I do just fine thanks with the resolution on my D90, so a D700 would seem to suit my modest needs. As I re-read old verbiage on the D700 I see very little that is negative about the camera, in fact far more comments are complimentary than negative. So...I was wondering if any forum members would like to encourage my search, or dissuade me based on their own D700 ownership. Thanks very much. Dave


    › See More: Searching for a D700 a good idea?



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    carguy's Avatar

    Re: Searching for a D700 a good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by daveward View Post
    I just missed an opportunity to buy a local pre-owned D700. Not that I was in the market for one, but....
    I own a great little D90 and have fancied moving over to full frame to see the difference myself. When I saw that D700 I started thinking that alternative would be a lower cost entry to test my full frame curiosity than targeting something newer (and I have no interest in video). Obviously having a newer more current camera would be nice, but I do just fine thanks with the resolution on my D90, so a D700 would seem to suit my modest needs. As I re-read old verbiage on the D700 I see very little that is negative about the camera, in fact far more comments are complimentary than negative. So...I was wondering if any forum members would like to encourage my search, or dissuade me based on their own D700 ownership. Thanks very much. Dave
    Why not? The D700 is still a very solid and great camera.
    The common notion that cameras somehow get worse over time is nonsense. I just bought a D750 which has been out for years
    Joe

    D750 | 50mm f1.8G | Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC
    Fujifilm X100T | Nikon F3/T, N90s | Minolta A5, XG1 & X-570
    Detroit Imagery / My weekly contributions /
    About.me
    Notary Public & Loan Signing Agent


  3. #3
    Happy to be Canadian
    Super Mod
    Marcel's Avatar

    Re: Searching for a D700 a good idea?

    The major cost of upgrading to FX is not the price of the camera itself. It's the lenses you're going to need to really appreciate the full frame advantages. But the D700 should give you a lot of pleasure to use. The skin tones produced by that sensor is still hard to beat (I have a Df and D810). I still miss mine sometimes.
    Thanks/Like ssepan Thanks/liked this post
     
    I'm beginning to see the LIGHT!
    Please visit my Gallery and my Flickr Gallery

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Re: Searching for a D700 a good idea?

    Hi Dave. I dont have a D700, but I was searching for one when I found my used D800. I will point out the obvious first, and that is if you dont have FX glass, the body is the least expensive part of the full frame upgrade. If you have glass that works for your D90 and are happy with that, great! It will cost hundreds more in lenses than just the body to match what you can get with the D90 and your DX lenses with an exception; low light. I was torn between the D600(10) 24mp, D700 12mp and D800(e) 36mp. I went with the D800 because it was within a couple hundred bucks of all of them, it had a much larger pixel count allowing me to future proof better and though I rarely shoot video, I wanted the capability to do so. I got most of my FX lenses used and in many cases went with old glass which kept the cost down. I have lucked out so far and have received good copies of the lenses I have bought used, but its a crap shoot and at any time, I know I can end up with someones dropped lens that wont focus right. Personally, I would look at something that is much better than your current D90 in order to justify the jump. It would suck to invest all this money to just end up with marginally better results. You do have the benefit of full frame and better low light capabilities, but only when paired with good glass. Hope this helps, good luck in your quest.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Horoscope Fish's Avatar

    Re: Searching for a D700 a good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by daveward View Post
    ... I was wondering if any forum members would like to encourage my search, or dissuade me based on their own D700 ownership.
    While I don't own a D700 personally, I've shot them on occasion and I'd have no issue owning one. The D700 is a "tank" of a body that renders color (skin tones, especially) like no other. I think a solid argument could be made the D700 is one of the best DSLR's ever released.
    Thanks/Like carguy Thanks/liked this post
     
    ~ Paul
    ....
    ....
    Primary Kit :: D850, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2, Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art,
    Godox Flashes & Triggers, Manfrotto X055PROB, 3-Legged Thing Airhed II... All Stuffed into a Manfrotto Pro Backpack 50
    ....
    ....
    ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ๑۩۩๑ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●

  6. #6
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Searching for a D700 a good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by daveward View Post
    So...I was wondering if any forum members would like to encourage my search, or dissuade me based on their own D700 ownership. Thanks very much. Dave
    We like spending other peoples' money!

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    The major cost of upgrading to FX is not the price of the camera itself. It's the lenses you're going to need to really appreciate the full frame advantages. But the D700 should give you a lot of pleasure to use. The skin tones produced by that sensor is still hard to beat (I have a Df and D810). I still miss mine sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Horoscope Fish View Post
    While I don't own a D700 personally, I've shot them on occasion and I'd have no issue owning one. The D700 is a "tank" of a body that renders color (skin tones, especially) like no other. I think a solid argument could be made the D700 is one of the best DSLR's ever released.
    Marcel or Paul, do either of you know if Nikon will still service the D700? I'm sure there are other camera repair centers that would but not sure if repairs by Nikon is important to daveward.
    Cindy
    Flickr
    and My 2019 Thread

    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci



  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Re: Searching for a D700 a good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedThrottle View Post
    Hi Dave. Personally, I would look at something that is much better than your current D90 in order to justify the jump. It would suck to invest all this money to just end up with marginally better results. You do have the benefit of full frame and better low light capabilities, but only when paired with good glass. Hope this helps, good luck in your quest.
    TwistedT....thanks for the detailed response....I understand your thinking and the thinking of others who have mentioned that FX lenses are where the real expense comes into play. Point noted. Like you I would be OK with used, as I am with a used camera.

    But what I don’t quite understand is that part of your response quoted above...can you give me an example of what you mean is ‘much better’ than the D90 that you had in mind. Are you suggesting better (higher) resolution like you did with the D800? Is that your meaning? Thanks.

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Re: Searching for a D700 a good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    We like spending other peoples' money!


    Yes, I have seen how that works here. Although there are enough
    members who are trying to save me from overspending on lenses. Dave

    Marcel or Paul, do either of you know if Nikon will still service the D700? I'm sure there are other camera repair centers that would but not sure if repairs by Nikon is important to daveward.
    Great point I had not considered. Does this mean local camera shops are not good choices for repairs? I wouldn’t be surprised if that is the case.

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Re: Searching for a D700 a good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by daveward View Post
    TwistedT....thanks for the detailed response....I understand your thinking and the thinking of others who have mentioned that FX lenses are where the real expense comes into play. Point noted. Like you I would be OK with used, as I am with a used camera.

    But what I don’t quite understand is that part of your response quoted above...can you give me an example of what you mean is ‘much better’ than the D90 that you had in mind. Are you suggesting better (higher) resolution like you did with the D800? Is that your meaning? Thanks.
    @daveward Not necessarily higher resolution but more of when the camera was released. Both your D90 and the D700 were released in 2008. Thats a long time in terms of the processor and other electronics in the camera. The D700 has the first generation Expeed sensor whereas the D600 and 800 (both c.2012) have the 3rd generation. All are an upgrade from the CMOS sensor in the D90. I dont put a whole lot into the megapixel battle. I do like having the larger pixel count for things like cropping, but I also understand if photographers were able to take outstanding pictures before a gazillion pixels, they should still be able to today but what they didnt have yesteryear were options. If you choose to use any of your dx lenses on your full frame, your cropping out pixels. I can still get about 15ish megapixels using a dx lens in dx crop mode on my D800. Try doing that on a D700, your working with about 6 megapixels. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by TwistedThrottle; 07-25-2019 at 10:25 PM.

  10. #10
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Searching for a D700 a good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by daveward View Post
    Great point I had not considered. Does this mean local camera shops are not good choices for repairs? I wouldn’t be surprised if that is the case.
    What I meant is some people expect Nikon will perform a repair if something happens. Just be sure to check with Nikon first so you are informed ahead of time. There are excellent camera repair shops out there - just don't want you to be disappointed if you get a D700 and need to have it serviced.
    Cindy
    Flickr
    and My 2019 Thread

    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci







Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •