+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Horoscope Fish's Avatar

    Re: Spot metering

    Quote Originally Posted by Karmann_65 View Post
    Being quite new to the D5500 I note that when looking through the view finder, the focus point is displayed as a box and not a dot (as per my old D3100). Why is this?

    I've been struggling with getting a precise focus and wonder if there is some kind of avarage focus going on within the box area.
    I'm not sure there is an answer to the question regarding focus-points displaying as boxes versus dots in the viewfinder; the box-shaped focus point is simply what you find on the higher end Nikon bodies.

    If you post some example photos where you've missed focus, we might be able to better diagnose the issue.


    › See More: Spot metering
    ~ Paul
    ....
    ....
    Primary Kit :: D750 (OLPF Removed), MB-D10; Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2, Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art,
    Yongnuo Flashes & Triggers, Manfrotto X055PROB, 3-Legged Thing Airhed II... All Stuffed into a Manfrotto Pro Backpack 50
    ....
    ....
    ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ๑۩۩๑ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●



  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Karmann_65's Avatar

    Re: Spot metering

    Quote Originally Posted by Horoscope Fish View Post
    I'm not sure there is an answer to the question regarding focus-points displaying as boxes versus dots in the viewfinder; the box-shaped focus point is simply what you find on the higher end Nikon bodies.

    If you post some example photos where you've missed focus, we might be able to better diagnose the issue.
    Thanks for the reply.

    I could post some out of focus shots but am beginning to think it's my own fault for over utilising single point focus. A lot of what I shoot is of animals and birds. It's all too easy to neglect switching to multi point focus for wider shots. Does that sound about right?

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Horoscope Fish's Avatar

    Re: Spot metering

    Quote Originally Posted by Karmann_65 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

    I could post some out of focus shots but am beginning to think it's my own fault for over utilising single point focus. A lot of what I shoot is of animals and birds. It's all too easy to neglect switching to multi point focus for wider shots. Does that sound about right?
    Not knowing your level of expertise with photography in general it's hard for me to say where the issue lies. However, the auto-focus system in your D500, and really any modern DSLR, is extraordinairly complicated and nuanced. I think most of us have struggled with wrapping our brains around the labyrinth of features and options in the auto-focus menus at some point. To better understand what's going on with your autofocus system, and how to take full advantage of everything it offers, I can't recommend Steve Perry's ebook,
    Secrets to the Nikon Auto-focus System too highly. Probably the best $17 investment in improving your photography you could make.
    Thanks/Like Karmann_65 Thanks/liked this post
     
    ~ Paul
    ....
    ....
    Primary Kit :: D750 (OLPF Removed), MB-D10; Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2, Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art,
    Yongnuo Flashes & Triggers, Manfrotto X055PROB, 3-Legged Thing Airhed II... All Stuffed into a Manfrotto Pro Backpack 50
    ....
    ....
    ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ๑۩۩๑ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Karmann_65's Avatar

    Re: Spot metering

    Quote Originally Posted by Horoscope Fish View Post
    To better understand what's going on with your autofocus system, and how to take full advantage of everything it offers, I can't recommend Steve Perry's ebook,
    Secrets to the Nikon Auto-focus System too highly. Probably the best $17 investment in improving your photography you could make.
    I honestly had no idea such a book even existed. Sounds like a great idea. I've enjoyed watching a couple of Steve Perry's videos on Youtube and would be very interested in his book.

    Unfortunately, the closest (paper book) I can find available here in the UK is this:

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-Autof...ikon+autofocus

    Looks to be a very similar read and surely can't hurt.

    My experience level is amateur at best as I sit firmly a long way from the top of the learning curve.

  5. #15
    Senior Member

    Re: Spot metering

    Quote Originally Posted by Karmann_65 View Post
    I could post some out of focus shots but am beginning to think it's my own fault for over utilising single point focus. A lot of what I shoot is of animals and birds. It's all too easy to neglect switching to multi point focus for wider shots. Does that sound about right?
    I use single point focus almost exclusively (in conjunction with back button focus). It is certainly arguable that there could be 'better' modes for various situations. In the end, only one focus point gets the focus. However you get there is fine as long as focus is exactly where you want it. I don't know if the d5500 can show the focus point that was used when you review the images in camera. A quick flip through the pdf manual and I don't see that function for your camera. But the free Nikon View NX-i software will show you what focus point was used to capture the image. Turn on 'show focus point' under the 'image' menu. This might be helpful to you as you find what focus method works best for you.
    Thanks/Like Karmann_65 Thanks/liked this post
     
    I must have a really good camera.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Karmann_65's Avatar

    Re: Spot metering

    Quote Originally Posted by nickt View Post
    But the free Nikon View NX-i software will show you what focus point was used to capture the image. Turn on 'show focus point' under the 'image' menu. This might be helpful to you as you find what focus method works best for you.
    I can see how that would help. Will look into downloading NX-i and give it a try.

    Thanks

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Horoscope Fish's Avatar

    Re: Spot metering

    Quote Originally Posted by Karmann_65 View Post
    I honestly had no idea such a book even existed. Sounds like a great idea. I've enjoyed watching a couple of Steve Perry's videos on Youtube and would be very interested in his book.

    Unfortunately, the closest (paper book) I can find available here in the UK is this:

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-Autof...ikon+autofocus

    Looks to be a very similar read and surely can't hurt.

    My experience level is amateur at best as I sit firmly a long way from the top of the learning curve.
    Steve Perry is just about Awesome personified in my opinion and his Secrets of Autofocus will open your eye's to just how powerful the AF system in your camera really is. More importantly, though, it will show you how to leverage that power in very practical terms.

    I thought I understood all the AF-Modes and AF-Area modes pretty well, having been a Nikon shooter for sometime. I was wrong. I consider Steve's book essential reading for anyone serious about improving their auto-focus hit-rate. I return to it often to refresh my memory and it seems every time I go back over the material, I learn something new.
    Thanks/Like Karmann_65, RocketCowboy Thanks/liked this post
     
    ~ Paul
    ....
    ....
    Primary Kit :: D750 (OLPF Removed), MB-D10; Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2, Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art,
    Yongnuo Flashes & Triggers, Manfrotto X055PROB, 3-Legged Thing Airhed II... All Stuffed into a Manfrotto Pro Backpack 50
    ....
    ....
    ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ๑۩۩๑ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •