+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1
    Senior Member

    Upgrade 5100?

    I'm just a hobbyist. I don't shoot as often as I'd like, but I still enjoy it. I"ve been toying with getting a new lense for my 5100. I was thinking about getting the Nikon 18-300 and calling it good, then I got to thinking would I be better off upgrading the body as well and maybe going the 18-140. I've been out of DSLR research for a while so I thought I'd see what you guys recommend.

    Thanks!
    Jon


    › See More: Upgrade 5100?



  2. #2
    Staff
    Super Mod
    Don Kuykendall's Avatar

    Re: Upgrade 5100?

    The D5100 is still a capable camera. I shot the 18-140 on my D5100 when I has it and was very happy with it


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    ================================================== ============================
    D750***D7100***24-120 f/4 ***70-300***Tamron 150-600***Tokina 16-28 f2.8***50mm f/1.8***Photoshop/Lightroom CC

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Moab Man's Avatar

    Re: Upgrade 5100?

    Is there something that you think the D5100 is falling short on? That should be your question. Example: I've recently started shooting low light concerts and the D5100 doesn't have the ISO capability. That is a body upgrade.

    Like Don said, the D5100 is still a great body.

    I would look at pooling your money and buying the best glass you can afford. As to what lens, what do you shoot the most?

    Great glass on a lower end or older camera will outperform lower glass on the best body.
    Last edited by Moab Man; 01-18-2018 at 05:34 AM.
    Thanks/Like Don Kuykendall, Danno Thanks/liked this post
     
    D5100, D7100, D600, D750, Df
    Lenses: Nikon DX 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 55-300mm, Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD & 200-500mm
    Prime: Nikon 35mm, 50mm, & 85mm f/1.8G, 300mm f/4
    Wide Angle: Tokina AT-X116 Pro DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8, Rokinon f/2.8 14mm (chipped)
    Macro: Nikon 40mm, Tamron 90mm
    ​Flash: Nissin MARK II Di622
    Stuff: Expodisc Neutral & Portrait
    ​Editing: CS6, CC, Nik Tools, Portrait Pro 12, Topaz
    Spyder4Pro
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/122672034@N04/

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Re: Upgrade 5100?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moab Man View Post
    Is there something that you think the D5100 is falling short on? That should be your question. Example: I've recently started shooting low light concerts and the D5100 doesn't have the ISO capability. That is a body upgrade.

    Like Don said, the D5100 is still a great body.

    I would look at pooling your money and buying the best glass you can afford. As to what lens, what do you shoot the most?

    Great glass on a lower end or older camera will outperform lower glass on the best body.
    The only real feature I think would be nice is being able to offload the pictures wirelessly (I'm not sure how that works). I shoot really random stuff. I like driving gravel roads and just finding anything from old Churches, cemeteries, some nature, general landscape. Thats why I was looking at the 18-300. I wouldn't necessarily need the 300 zoom often. Currently I have the kit 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Moab Man's Avatar

    Re: Upgrade 5100?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonritter View Post
    The only real feature I think would be nice is being able to offload the pictures wirelessly (I'm not sure how that works). I shoot really random stuff. I like driving gravel roads and just finding anything from old Churches, cemeteries, some nature, general landscape. Thats why I was looking at the 18-300. I wouldn't necessarily need the 300 zoom often. Currently I have the kit 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have never found Nikon's wireless to be that good. Anyone else with a different feel please chime in.
    Thanks/Like RocketCowboy Thanks/liked this post
     
    D5100, D7100, D600, D750, Df
    Lenses: Nikon DX 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 55-300mm, Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD & 200-500mm
    Prime: Nikon 35mm, 50mm, & 85mm f/1.8G, 300mm f/4
    Wide Angle: Tokina AT-X116 Pro DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8, Rokinon f/2.8 14mm (chipped)
    Macro: Nikon 40mm, Tamron 90mm
    ​Flash: Nissin MARK II Di622
    Stuff: Expodisc Neutral & Portrait
    ​Editing: CS6, CC, Nik Tools, Portrait Pro 12, Topaz
    Spyder4Pro
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/122672034@N04/

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Horoscope Fish's Avatar

    Re: Upgrade 5100?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonritter View Post
    The only real feature I think would be nice is being able to offload the pictures wirelessly (I'm not sure how that works). I shoot really random stuff. I like driving gravel roads and just finding anything from old Churches, cemeteries, some nature, general landscape. Thats why I was looking at the 18-300. I wouldn't necessarily need the 300 zoom often. Currently I have the kit 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Going to go ahead and suggest the following... I found refurbished Nikon D5600's with the newest 18-55mm (the P-version) kit lens selling for $614 which, in my opinion, is a steal. The D5600 body itself (no lens) bought NIB goes for $650 on the same site.

    And while I agree your D5100 is probably just dandy, it IS is five-year old technology and there's nothing wrong with upgrading from time to time. I'm suggesting the D5600 because it would be a *very* significant upgrade in technology overall, it would work with all your existing 55-200mm zoom and keeps you out of the "pro-sumer" series of bodies and the higher price points that go with them. Of course if you want to pay for some extra bells and whistles, by all means explore the 7000-series bodies. I'm just taking a wild stab at things with this suggestion.

    D5600 Bundle on Amazon
    ~ Paul
    ....
    ....
    Primary Kit :: D750 (OLPF Removed), MB-D10; Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2, Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art,
    Godox Flashes & Triggers, Manfrotto X055PROB, 3-Legged Thing Airhed II... All Stuffed into a Manfrotto Pro Backpack 50
    ....
    ....
    ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ๑۩۩๑ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    nikonpup's Avatar

    Re: Upgrade 5100?

    $$$wise I would got with a lens upgrade 18-140mm, reconditioned or a good used lens for a known Nikon dealer. My 18-140 mm sits on my D7100, combo is in the car most days. For a second lens I would look for a 70-300mm.
    DO NOT GROW UP!!
    IT IS A TRAP!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/pups_pleasure/




  8. #8
    Senior Member
    SkvLTD's Avatar

    Re: Upgrade 5100?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonritter View Post
    The only real feature I think would be nice is being able to offload the pictures wirelessly (I'm not sure how that works). I shoot really random stuff. I like driving gravel roads and just finding anything from old Churches, cemeteries, some nature, general landscape. Thats why I was looking at the 18-300. I wouldn't necessarily need the 300 zoom often. Currently I have the kit 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Moab Man View Post
    I have never found Nikon's wireless to be that good. Anyone else with a different feel please chime in.
    Eye-Fi, Mobi or Pro somethingoranother. I've had Mobi and all it does it auto-offload either jpegs and/or raws as you take em to a mobile device or PC that you pair with it while camera is on. Tethering basically, but I personally would prefer being able to browse them first and select which I want to offload from the camera - this is where either Toshiba or Chinese EZShare come it, and I just ordered EZ to try it out for 2 reasons based on reading about them:
    1- you can browse first and select what jpegs/raws to actually transfer over to your phone to avoid missed shots/clutter.
    1.2- its app has social sharing inside to make that easier, but
    2- they make SD sized, wifi-enabled microSD adapter that you can feed your own cards unlike the rest!
    3- wifi on/off switch on the bottom of the card

    These aren't terribly fast or anything, but convenient for sure.
    skvoraltdphoto
    Df silver, D600, D5100, X-Pro1 ||| Sigma 12-24 f/3.5-5.6 v1 | Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G | Sigma 24mm Super-wide II f/2.8 | Nikkor 45mm AI-P f/2.8 Silver | Nikkor-H 50mm f/2 | Nikkor-S 55mm f/1.2 | Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR | Tamron 90mm SP AF f/2.8 Macro (E72) | Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR I | Fuji 18mm f/2 XF R | Fuji 27mm f/2.8


  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Re: Upgrade 5100?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkvLTD View Post
    Eye-Fi, Mobi or Pro somethingoranother. I've had Mobi and all it does it auto-offload either jpegs and/or raws as you take em to a mobile device or PC that you pair with it while camera is on. Tethering basically, but I personally would prefer being able to browse them first and select which I want to offload from the camera - this is where either Toshiba or Chinese EZShare come it, and I just ordered EZ to try it out for 2 reasons based on reading about them:
    1- you can browse first and select what jpegs/raws to actually transfer over to your phone to avoid missed shots/clutter.
    1.2- its app has social sharing inside to make that easier, but
    2- they make SD sized, wifi-enabled microSD adapter that you can feed your own cards unlike the rest!
    3- wifi on/off switch on the bottom of the card

    These aren't terribly fast or anything, but convenient for sure.
    Would you mind sharing a link to the mentioned products?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    SkvLTD's Avatar

    Re: Upgrade 5100?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonritter View Post
    Would you mind sharing a link to the mentioned products?
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BOXED-O...Y/351357852814
    skvoraltdphoto
    Df silver, D600, D5100, X-Pro1 ||| Sigma 12-24 f/3.5-5.6 v1 | Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G | Sigma 24mm Super-wide II f/2.8 | Nikkor 45mm AI-P f/2.8 Silver | Nikkor-H 50mm f/2 | Nikkor-S 55mm f/1.2 | Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR | Tamron 90mm SP AF f/2.8 Macro (E72) | Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR I | Fuji 18mm f/2 XF R | Fuji 27mm f/2.8






Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •