+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member

    Loosing the focus on objects in the sky

    Hi to all,
    I have a Nikon D500 camera and 200-500mm lenses.
    In the last month I have a problem with the Automatic focus.
    It's happen only when I try to take a photo of birds in the sky. I work with AF and AF-C. The wheel of the lens move automatically and I loose the focus on the bird.
    Is it definitions issue? What should I do?
    Thanks in advanced



    › See More: Loosing the focus on objects in the sky



  2. #2
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Loosing the focus on objects in the sky

    Quote Originally Posted by Gishy View Post
    It's happen only when I try to take a photo of birds in the sky. I work with AF and AF-C. The wheel of the lens move automatically and I loose the focus on the bird.
    Can you elaborate a little more on this?

    And what type of AF are you using? Single Point? Dynamic? Group? After @BackdoorArts mentioned he uses Dynamic 153 for flying birds, I gave it a try. Have had more consistent focus with that setting vs. Single Point or Dynamic 9 which is what I used to use.
    Cindy - D750, D500, D7200
    My 2021 Thread

    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci



  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Re: Loosing the focus on objects in the sky

    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    Can you elaborate a little more on this?

    And what type of AF are you using? Single Point? Dynamic? Group? After @BackdoorArts mentioned he uses Dynamic 153 for flying birds, I gave it a try. Have had more consistent focus with that setting vs. Single Point or Dynamic 9 which is what I used to use.
    Hi,
    AF-C, 25pt

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Roy1961's Avatar

    Re: Loosing the focus on objects in the sky

    Loosing the focus on objects in the sky
    trying this to see what happens, i should have had my SS a little higher.

    Loosing the focus on objects in the sky-_roy7699_00001.jpg
    Learn to laugh at yourself, everyone else is.
    D500, D7000. SB700.

    Nikkor 18-105mm, 35mm, 70-300mm, Tonika 100 Macro, Sigma 60-600 and Sigma 50-500.

    Wimberley Gimbal head, Benro Carbon Fiber Tripod and
    Benro Carbon Fiber monopod with gimbal head.



  5. #5
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Loosing the focus on objects in the sky

    Quote Originally Posted by Gishy View Post
    It's happen only when I try to take a photo of birds in the sky. I work with AF and AF-C. The wheel of the lens move automatically and I loose the focus on the bird.
    But can you please explain this a little more? What wheel? Do you mean the lens barrel moves when you point the lens upwards towards the sky? If so does it happen at any other time?

    Are you using a teleconverter with that lens? If you are, there are a limited number of focus points that will work in the viewfinder if your aperture is f/8 (if a 1.4x teleconverter is attached).
    Cindy - D750, D500, D7200
    My 2021 Thread

    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci



  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Dawg Pics's Avatar

    Re: Loosing the focus on objects in the sky

    I have similar issues and find I can lock focus when I am zoomed out, but tend to lose it when zoomed in. I think it is a matter of increasing the focus points and practice. I messed around with it some, but not enough to try to figure it out.

    I have the Sigma Contemporary, and I find it is a bit slow because of the amount it has to turn. Also if there isn't enough contrast. I guess. I dunno. Not all that helpful, huh?
    "Remember to gaze up at the night sky because there is a little bit of the cosmos in each of us."


    Um yeahhhh, I shoot a lot of pics of my dogs.
    D500 (DOB 05/26/17), D300, D80, SB-800. RIP-D100
    Sigma 150-600mm DG Contemporary, Sigma 50-150mm f2.8, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8,
    Nikkor Nifty-Fifty.

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Re: Loosing the focus on objects in the sky

    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    But can you please explain this a little more? What wheel? Do you mean the lens barrel moves when you point the lens upwards towards the sky? If so does it happen at any other time?

    Are you using a teleconverter with that lens? If you are, there are a limited number of focus points that will work in the viewfinder if your aperture is f/8 (if a 1.4x teleconverter is attached).
    Thank you.
    Do you mean the lens barrel moves when you point the lens upwards towards the sky? Yes.
    If so does it happen at any other time- No. If i take a photo of big object like plane, or black eagle it does not happened.
    Are you using a teleconverter- No





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •