+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    canuck257's Avatar

    Flash control

    The menu item "Flash Control" is greyed out on my camera. This is in accordance with the handbook and two other aftermarket books I have read. They all agree that, with specific speed lights mounted, that menu item is accessible. I have two SB600 speed lights that fall into the approved category neither of which "un grey" that menu item. I have tried every combination that I can think of but nothing works.

    Suggestions (NOT improper) and advice would be appreciated. The approved list includes the SB's 500, 600, 700, 800, 900 & 5000 units if somebody with one of these could try and make it work for them.

    On edit. Both SB600 units function perfectly in the hot shoe and in wireless remote triggers.


    › See More: Flash control
    Last edited by canuck257; 09-18-2016 at 01:14 AM.
    Thanks/Like Big E Thanks/liked this post
     
    Nikon D500 gripped
    AF-S Nikkor 300mm f4 E-PF-ED
    AF-S Micro Nikkor 105mm f2.8 G-ED
    AF-S VR Nikkor 500mm f/5.6 E-PF-ED
    AF-S VR Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G-ED

    AF-S VR Nikkor 70-200 f/4.0 G-ED
    Nikkor TC-1.4 III



    Ivan












  2. #2
    Senior Member
    WayneF's Avatar

    Re: Flash control

    Quote Originally Posted by canuck257 View Post
    The menu item "Flash Control" is greyed out on my camera. This is in accordance with the handbook and two other aftermarket books I have read. They all agree that, with specific speed lights mounted, that menu item is accessible. I have two SB600 speed lights that fall into the approved category neither of which "un grey" that menu item. I have tried every combination that I can think of but nothing works.

    Suggestions (NOT improper) and advice would be appreciated. The approved list includes the SB's 500, 600, 700, 800, 900 & 5000 units if somebody with one of these could try and make it work for them.

    On edit. Both SB600 units function perfectly in the hot shoe and in wireless remote triggers.

    I don't have a D500, and am not familiar with it. However looking in the manual, page 208 on Flash Control appears omit the SB-600. But page 329 says the SB-600 will work remotely if a SU-800 commander is on the camera.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    canuck257's Avatar

    Re: Flash control

    Thank you Wayne unfortunately, I don't have an SU800. I do have a Yongnuo YN622N-TX but that does not solve the problem. I agree that the manual does not list the SB600 but several other sources do. Ah well, if it was easy it wouldn't be fun
    Nikon D500 gripped
    AF-S Nikkor 300mm f4 E-PF-ED
    AF-S Micro Nikkor 105mm f2.8 G-ED
    AF-S VR Nikkor 500mm f/5.6 E-PF-ED
    AF-S VR Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G-ED

    AF-S VR Nikkor 70-200 f/4.0 G-ED
    Nikkor TC-1.4 III



    Ivan










  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Re: Flash control

    Quote Originally Posted by canuck257 View Post
    The menu item "Flash Control" is greyed out on my camera. This is in accordance with the handbook and two other aftermarket books I have read. They all agree that, with specific speed lights mounted, that menu item is accessible. I have two SB600 speed lights that fall into the approved category neither of which "un grey" that menu item. I have tried every combination that I can think of but nothing works.

    Suggestions (NOT improper) and advice would be appreciated. The approved list includes the SB's 500, 600, 700, 800, 900 & 5000 units if somebody with one of these could try and make it work for them.

    On edit. Both SB600 units function perfectly in the hot shoe and in wireless remote triggers.
    What menu are you seeing this? Jumping around my d500 I don't see flash control.

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    canuck257's Avatar

    Re: Flash control

    Quote Originally Posted by Osantacruz View Post
    What menu are you seeing this? Jumping around my d500 I don't see flash control.

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    #7 in the shooting menu. I emailed Nikon and they replied that the SB600 will not activate this item.
    Nikon D500 gripped
    AF-S Nikkor 300mm f4 E-PF-ED
    AF-S Micro Nikkor 105mm f2.8 G-ED
    AF-S VR Nikkor 500mm f/5.6 E-PF-ED
    AF-S VR Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G-ED

    AF-S VR Nikkor 70-200 f/4.0 G-ED
    Nikkor TC-1.4 III



    Ivan










  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Re: Flash control

    Quote Originally Posted by canuck257 View Post
    #7 in the shooting menu. I emailed Nikon and they replied that the SB600 will not activate this item.
    There it is! Yeah no luck with either sb600 or Phottix mitros. What exactly would this control? Output? Flash comp?

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Best Answers Big E voted best answer for this post
     

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    canuck257's Avatar

    Re: Flash control

    Quote Originally Posted by Osantacruz View Post
    There it is! Yeah no luck with either sb600 or Phottix mitros. What exactly would this control? Output? Flash comp?

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Dunno, that's what I'm trying to find out I guess I'm just curious really.
    Nikon D500 gripped
    AF-S Nikkor 300mm f4 E-PF-ED
    AF-S Micro Nikkor 105mm f2.8 G-ED
    AF-S VR Nikkor 500mm f/5.6 E-PF-ED
    AF-S VR Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G-ED

    AF-S VR Nikkor 70-200 f/4.0 G-ED
    Nikkor TC-1.4 III



    Ivan










  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Horoscope Fish's Avatar

    Re: Flash control

    Quote Originally Posted by canuck257 View Post
    Dunno, that's what I'm trying to find out I guess I'm just curious really.
    .....
    Flash control-flash-control-options.jpg

    .....
    ~ Paul
    ....
    ....
    Primary Kit :: D850, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2, Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 G2, Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art,
    Godox Flashes & Triggers, Manfrotto X055PROB, 3-Legged Thing Airhed II... All Stuffed into a Manfrotto Pro Backpack 50
    ....
    ....
    ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ๑۩۩๑ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●

  9. #9
    Junior Member

    Re: Flash control

    In my manual, page 199, it says only sb-5000, 500,400 or 300 will turn it on. Those models need it, except for the 5000, and it can display on the flash or the camera. My sb700 and sb910 will not turn it on.





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •