+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Junior Member

    Video issue solved: tinted, stobe hue caused by Windows 10 and Movies & TV app!

    Hello all,

    After searching on this forum and the internet in general, I haven't been able to find comments on the problem I'm having, and I'm hoping someone here can help out. I'm experiencing D3200-recorded videos that display a 'tinted hue', almost like a weird disco light effect, that changes hue every .5 seconds or so. It is not a fluorescent/led issue, as it happens when outside. I don't think it is a light metering issue, as the whole screen isn't getting lighter/darker. It's like a filter is applied, mostly to the lighter areas in the frame, and it is similar to auto-metering, but is turns 1/2 of the frame (sometimes almost the whole frame) different color hues.

    Am I simply experiencing a problem with the 'auto' settings, and this would be solved going to manual video mode? Are there other settings I should try? This problem happens with fixed 50mm, 55-200mm, and 18-55mm, I think.


    › See More: Video issue: tinted, 'stobe-like' issue every half second on recorded video
    Last edited by steelin4u; 10-02-2016 at 02:01 AM. Reason: problem solved, want to archive issue better for future searches



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    480sparky's Avatar

    Re: Video issue: tinted, 'stobe-like' issue every half second on recorded video

    Is the camera set to the same AC cycle as the lights are running on (50- or 60-Htz)?
    Thanks/Like steelin4u Thanks/liked this post
     
    Don't mind me... I'm out roaming around somewhere between Zone III and VII.


    Go forth and actuate!


    My Website.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Challenge Team
    cwgrizz's Avatar

    Re: Video issue: tinted, 'stobe-like' issue every half second on recorded video

    @480sparky, He said it is doing it outside too. I wouldn't think that AC frequency would have anything to do with it, but I don't do videos so I could be wrong.
    Thanks/Like steelin4u Thanks/liked this post
     
    Walt

    D750; D7100; D5300;
    18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G II VR; AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED; Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 (IF) DX II; 200-500mm f5.6E ED VR; AF-S VR 24-120mm f/4G ED; TC14E II



  4. #4
    Junior Member

    Solved: Windows 10 Movies & TV application issue with video!

    Mystery partially solved! I should have tinkered more before posting my issue. Maybe this will help someone else out in the future. Check this out:

    -Video viewed on my camera (SD card) - no problems
    -Video viewed on my PC (file on HD) with Windows Media Player - no problems
    -Video viewed on my PC (file on HD) with iTunes - no problems
    -Video viewed on my PC (file on HD) with Windows 10 'Movies & TV' (the default video playback app in Windows 10) - STROBE PROBLEM!

    I don't know why, as there are no application settings to mess with, but something in the Windows 10 Movies & TV application doesn't jive with the file.
    Thanks/Like cwgrizz Thanks/liked this post
     

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    480sparky's Avatar

    Re: Solved: Windows 10 Movies & TV application issue with video!

    Quote Originally Posted by steelin4u View Post
    Mystery partially solved! I should have tinkered more before posting my issue. Maybe this will help someone else out in the future. Check this out:

    -Video viewed on my camera (SD card) - no problems
    -Video viewed on my PC (file on HD) with Windows Media Player - no problems
    -Video viewed on my PC (file on HD) with iTunes - no problems
    -Video viewed on my PC (file on HD) with Windows 10 'Movies & TV' (the default video playback app in Windows 10) - STROBE PROBLEM!

    I don't know why, as there are no application settings to mess with, but something in the Windows 10 Movies & TV application doesn't jive with the file.
    I don't use that app, but is there an FPS setting at all? Maybe it defaults to 30 FPS and you're shooting at 25.
    Don't mind me... I'm out roaming around somewhere between Zone III and VII.


    Go forth and actuate!


    My Website.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar

    Re: Video issue: tinted, 'stobe-like' issue every half second on recorded video

    Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    Is the camera set to the same AC cycle as the lights are running on (50- or 60-Htz)?
    Not an issue with modern electronic ballasts. Using the old magnetic ballasts, fluorescent lights would flicker at twice the frequency of the AC that was powering them.

    Modern electronic ballasts run the lights at thousands of Hertz, typically 20,000 Hz for T8/T12 type lamps. This exceeds the persistence of the phosphors and other parts of the process, so the result is a steady, non-strobing light
    Last edited by Bob Blaylock; 10-02-2016 at 05:26 AM. Reason: It is painful to measure the frequency of any repeating event in cycles per second. It Hertz.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    480sparky's Avatar

    Re: Video issue: tinted, 'stobe-like' issue every half second on recorded video

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Not an issue with modern electronic ballasts. Using the old magnetic ballasts, fluorescent lights would flicker at twice the frequency of the AC that was powering them.

    Modern electronic ballasts run the lights at thousands of Hertz, typically 20,000 Hz for T8/T12 type lamps. This exceeds the persistence of the phosphors and other parts of the process, so the result is a steady, non-strobing light
    Um.... you're preaching to the choir here.

    Plus, how many of us have the ability to pull out the lamps and covers to see which ballasts are in them.
    Don't mind me... I'm out roaming around somewhere between Zone III and VII.


    Go forth and actuate!


    My Website.





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •