Any F3 owners?

KennethHamlett

Do previous owners count? LOL I owned a few F3's (along with F2's and FE2's) many years ago. It was and still is my all time favorite camera. When I bought my first one I slept with it in my bed that first night because I couldn't believe I owned my dream camera!

blueiron

Absolutely previous owners count. I shoot mine far more than I do my F5, due to its simplicity and ease of use. Why did you let yours go?

KennethHamlett

Sheer stupidity! I was tired of lugging around 60 lbs. of gear and downsized to what was supposed to be the next new thing - an autofocus N4004. Traded in my F3 bodies, F2 bodies and an old FTN! Wish I had never done it, but everything changes and now if I were to shoot film again I would pick up an F4.

zx7dave

I will be a F3 owner in the future...have decided to keep at least one film camera around...haven't shot film in 20 years...back then it was a Minolta X7A, with a backup Pentax K1000 for B&W...Give me a few months to find the best deal...

blueiron

Now its time to find some Fuji Velvia for color, some Kodak Tri-X or Ilford for B&W, and a good processor!

Did you get a HP, a Press, a Titanium, or the original?

zx7dave

Basic F3. Lens was actually purchased seperately...I got me some basic fuji 400 ISO for the first roll to make sure the camera is good...It is a bit of a beater camera, but that is what I need to ensure the interest in film SLR is still there once I start adding up the cost of film and processing...I will go through over 1000 shots easy with the D300S, but when I am buying film it is much different....I may possibly go for a completely mechanical F2 down the road..we shall see...

zx7dave

I appreciate it....let me make sure the camera is in working order then I will get back with you. Should arrive early next week. Thanks!

zx7dave

Hi Ken...well the F3 came tonight. It was pretty dirty...and the counter doesn't work (stuck on 40). I am waiting for a older lens to come in the mail as all my lens are AF-S DX models...I did put one of those newer lenses on the f3 and snapped a few pictures...shutter sounds good. No idea what F/stop I am running since there is no way to change the f?stop on these newer lens. So not sure if I am shooting at f1.8 or f22. Have no idea what the "default" setting is. when I tried to take my first pic is went off at a 1/8 shutter speed with a 400spd ISO.
Anyway going to burn through a roll and get developed to see if I got a working unit.

blueiron

If you need a minor or complete rebuild on that F3, there is a place locally to me which does authorized Nikon service and they are relatively quick. My light seal replacement took three days.

zx7dave

Thanks for the tip...I guess I want to see what the first roll looks like...I haven't shot a film SLR since 1989 so I am having fun...and would not want to mail it off righ away unless there is a problem...also it was only $68 on ebay, so not sure if I want to pay a high hourly rate at the Nikon shop for professional cleaning/tuning/repairing...I am hoping that the camera functions properly...

zx7dave

So I ordered (ebay) a Nikon 35-70mm f/3.3-4.5 lens ($34.99), and a MD-4 motor ($59.99)..so once all this arrives I will post a pic...as I mentioned this is a well used beter setup, but everything is in working condition...so I am looking forward to it...Found a place called Digital Truth Photo that sells LegacyPro 400 B&W film for $1.89 for 36 exposures...will give that a try once I know the camera works ok...

zx7dave

Thanks. Will take a day or so to burn through the first roll..been busy at work...will be in touch on the film..many thanks!!!