Which Nikon D-SLR is better: D60 or D500

saggi2010

My brother is having trouble on which D-SLR he's going to buy and he asked me if I could give him some opinions. Since I'm getting confused as well because I like both, I came here, Y!Answers, hoping to get some professional insights and suggestions on both D-SLR. I'm asking which one is better and why do you think so.

Attachments

• 710_1117-001.jpg
    710_1117-001.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 710_1125.jpg
    710_1125.jpg
    686 KB · Views: 32

Greywoulf

There's no D500. (Yet?) So you must mean the D50?
I believe the sequence of these cameras coming out was, D50, D40, D40X, D60. The D60 supposedly is an update of the D40/D40X, but Nikon left some things out of it and also added some unnecessary stuff, so many feel that the D40 is the best camera of the aforementioned!

But yes, I would say the D60 is probably better than a D50...

torgo

Greywoulf summed it up quite well, but I'll add one thing: if you want to have auto-focus with older AF and AF-D lenses, the D50 is the one to choose. All the other lower-end models won't auto-focus with anything other than AF-S lenses (which have the focusing motor in the lens itself).
That said, by now there's plenty of good AF-S lenses, even fairly cheap prime lenses (the 35mm f/1.8 comes to mind). So if you're not invested in older glass (or don't mind manually focusing), the D50 probably isn't worth the time to find one used.

waapl01

There is a D50, no longer made i believe and a D5000 which is relatively new, video capabilites on the D5000 as far as i know, swivel screen.