Adobe Lightroom 3

Em11y

Hiya,

has anyone used LR 3 yet, I might upgrade if it's worth it, still using LR 2.7 at the mo.

Just wondering whether it's worth the £75 upgrade or not

e11even11

It really stepped up its game for ver 3.0. In my opinion its worth it for sure.

much better noise reduction.
web gallery's are great
seems to recognize nikons .nef files much better as well.
plus its much faster and just overall a great step forward for them.

Snap Happy

Spent a fortune buying Adobe Lightroom 2.? (not sure of the exact version, it is on my laptop) and Adobe Photoshop CS4 for this computer (main) Can you tell me if or why I should go buy the new one over what I already paid for?

Any feedback, suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

yorkaholic

Spent a fortune buying Adobe Lightroom 2.? (not sure of the exact version, it is on my laptop) and Adobe Photoshop CS4 for this computer (main) Can you tell me if or why I should go buy the new one over what I already paid for?

Any feedback, suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

LR 3 is not worth a $75 upgrade. I have it and LR2.WHATEVER was just as good.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I'm thinking about getting lightroom myself.

Can anyone comment on its organization capabilities?

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Organization is what makes LR rock. The biggest decision is whether you want to totally commit to LR. I prefer to manage my files via the Operating System and then import them in place. If you use metadata, looking for images in a large catalog is easy. Look at the screenshot below. I have a custom library filter to view by country, date, city, camera and lens (along the top). You can also create custom collections to group and sort images. The best thing is that all post processing is non-destructive. Hope this helps!

large.jpg

Browncoat

Lightroom is a glorified version of Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) that comes with Photoshop and Bridge. Considering the price tag, I personally don't see the value in Lightroom aside from its organizing features...which I admit seem pretty cool for doing batch work. If you're a good organizer, then there's really not much benefit to owning Lightroom at all. Save your pennies for a bit longer and just get Photoshop.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Lightroom is a glorified version of Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) that comes with Photoshop and Bridge. Considering the price tag, I personally don't see the value in Lightroom aside from its organizing features...which I admit seem pretty cool for doing batch work. If you're a good organizer, then there's really not much benefit to owning Lightroom at all. Save your pennies for a bit longer and just get Photoshop.

You certainly can do more with PS. It is much more complex. It is much easier to learn LR which is a serious consideration.

There are some things that are not possible with LR but if you are starting with good images, I find it sufficient for > 90% of my processing.