New Lens for D90 camera

cookstarcarolyn

Depends on what you are planning on shooting with it:) so many good lenses out there..I myself have a variety of lenses. I use my 18-105 lens quite a bit...gives a nice range for a variety of things:) I am big on macro photography though, so I tend to use my tokina 105mm lens a majority of the time.

fotojack

Hello, I have a Nikon D90. I like my camera, but I feel my current lens is holding me back so i'd like to buy a new one. The problem is, I don't know what to buy! I don't know anything about camera lenses, so I am hoping you guys will be able to shed some light for me.

I currently own and use a 28mm AF-NIKKOR and up until recently it has satisfied me.
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photograph...FNikkor/AF-Nikkor_28mm/NikkorAF28mmf28D_A.jpg

Exactly what Carolyn said......what do you intend to shoot with it? A nice walk around lens would be the 18-55mm lens. Very affordable. Then there's the 55-200mm zoom lens. Again...affordable. Better yet, why not go for the newest zoom lens, the 55-300mm. Very affordable, and a great compliment to the 18-55mm lens. This way, you'll have an effective range of 18 - 300mm in 2 great lenses! :)

goz63

I totally agree, the 18-55 is a nice lens and paired with the 55-200 is a nice combo. If you want to pay a little more you can go with the 55-300 and that will give you some nice reach. If you want to have a single lens the 18-200 will give you a one lens option. I would stay away from the 70-300 non-VR. The VR version is very nice but at $500+ I would look at the 55-300 if you were going to go the 300mm route. If you want to stick with primes, the 50mm 1.8 is an excellent lens and if you paired that with an 85 1.8 you would have a nice three lens combo. I have the 28mm and the 50mm 1.8 for my primes. They are great for low light and portrait work. All the lenses are in the ~$500 or less bracket except the 18-200 which is a little over $600.
Now if you really want to go big guns, the 70-200 VRII is the go to pro level fast zoom. At a 2.8 constant f-stop, it is fast glass. You also pay for that at $2400. Way out of my price range but gets fabulous reviews.
All of this will depend on what you want to shoot. The 28mm you have is a nice wide angle but you probably want to reach out a little more. A great start is the 18-105 Kit lens comes with the D90. I love mine and use it for my "regular" lens.
Here is my lens inventory:
18-105
55-300
50mm 1.8
28mm 2.8
Covers most everything unless you want to get heavily into Macro or you want to get into birding. Macro usually requires dedicated macro lenses and birding needs reach in the 400-600mm range. That takes some cash.
Hope all that helps,
Mark