Anyone going strapless?

Greywoulf

Took the Nikon strap offa my D40 because I find it always gets in the way when I'm getting the camera in and out of my Lowepro Zoom-II case, and also sometimes when I'm shooting.... I also don't like the heat it generates on my neck in the summer!

Am a little nervous about it tho, feeling that it is somewhat less secure when I'm carrying it in my hands prior to shooting.
Teeth.gif

I guess maybe I'll get over that tho...
confused.gif

Anyone else relate to this?

Browncoat

Nope, I love my strap.

I have one with large c-clips on the ends so the strap itself is removable from the camera, but you don't have to fuss with undoing the actual attachment to the camera. I often shoot from a tripod and it's handy to remove the strap since it just gets in the way. Just a couple of clicks and it's back on again.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I use a Tamrac strap because it has quick releases at either end which allow me to take it off easily when storing the camera.

Ruidoso Bill

I think I saw a wrist type strap somewhere, I never go without my strap, seldom use a tripod. My friend just dropped her hand held no strap D200 in the ocean in Bali, total loss.

DaveKoontz

I have recently taken a pretty good tumble while shooting in the Rocky Mountains. As it is, I broke the lens hood on my 70-200mm lens and, if I not had the strap attached my camera would have lost it over the side of the trail and down the mountainside. I rarely use my cameras without the straps, the main exception would be for studio work.

torgo

I tend to wear mine across my chest (messenger bag or purse style, for lack of a better description) because that keeps the weight off my neck, and also allows me to keep the camera to the side more, rather than having it bounce around on my stomach. :)

But to adress the original question, when out in the field (be it hiking in the woods or stalking the elusive 3-year-old daughter), I tend to keep the strap on.

Snap Happy

The only time I do not have a strap attached or held by me, is when the camera is in my bag or on a tripod. Things happen that you can not predict. I have had a few.... "fumbles" in my time, one about 6 months ago, I was putting the camera on the tripod. (Hex Plate did not quite click into place) I let go of the camera, it lurched forward and down towards the ground in no time at all. Glad I had the strap over my neck. I don't take the strap off until I know for sure that the camera is locked and secure in place. I check and double check as a matter of habit. Like checking to make sure the legs of the tripod are not near your feet. You do these things by instinct (eventualy LOL)

I agree it can get in the way, like when taking vertical/portraite shots. Isn't it always in the way when you switch from landscape orientation! I have used Pentax, Ricoh, Canon, Olympus and Nikon cameras, they all seem to get the strap in the way. But, I would not use a camera without it. For the minor inconveniance, it can save your equiptment.

So no matter what system you use, hand, neck, or any other means. It is HIGHLY advisable that you attach the camera to yourself somehow. Without going into detail I have heard of some horror stories about NOT having it on.

KennethHamlett

Totally agree with Snap Happy. Accidents happen and using a strap greatly reduces the risk of those accidents...or at least too much damage when it does occur.

lls-indy

I had a like experience with my tripod recently -- the only thing that saved my camera was the fact that I had not taken the strap from around my neck. I have an 18 year old granddaughter who loves to use my camera, but as any teenager she is not always thinking about safety and takes pictures out the window of the car, sometimes when its moving. She is not allowed to use the camera without having the strap around her neck. I can't imagine that I would every take the strap off my camera, I have just learned to work around it and so far after 45 years of taking photos it works.

Greywoulf

you're a generous person!
I would not allow any teenager, relative or no, to use my D40, -and especially not out of a moving car window! (EEEEK! ">})
I'd much rather buy her her own camera...

Anyhow, after reading the replies here I decided to order and try the Tamrac neoprene strap, as it appears to be a lot more comfy than my Nikon one, which feels like ~sandpaper~ around my neck in hot weather! It looks like it will fold up more compactly in my holster style camera bag too, and I also like the quick release option it has.
Looked at the wrist straps too, but decided it wasn't for me.

Moonshadow

Namaste, I think you must get used to the strap. Carrying the camera in your hand will eventually lead to a dropped camera. There are many different straps available you could try. I bought a longer strap and I wear it over my left shoulder with the camera hanging to my right hand ready to shoot. If I have a heavy lens on I can hold it still with my right hand when I am walking. It is more comfortable then around the neck.....................Moonshadow

Browncoat

You might also consider a different kind of strap as opposed to a traditional around-the-neck style. The "sniper" type are becoming more and more popular, though they are quite a bit more expensive ($60).

Check out the Sun Sniper One for example. I took one of these for a test drive at the local shop this week, and they're very nice.

Greywoulf

You might also consider a different kind of strap as opposed to a traditional around-the-neck style. The "sniper" type are becoming more and more popular, though they are quite a bit more expensive ($60).

Check out the Sun Sniper One for example. I took one of these for a test drive at the local shop this week, and they're very nice.

No, I wouldn't buy a strap like that... I like to travel as light as I can and carry my D40 in a shoulder holster bag that also holds one or two extra lenses . Having a complicated strap with hardware like that would only mean I'd probably get the LCD or a lens all scratched up from stuffing it into the bag with the camera...
I also have an old comfortable Focal strap that I don't use now because it has these large plastic buckle type sliders that I don't want in the bag next to my camera! -The Nikon strap is at least better in that way, but it's ridiculously uncomfortable on your neck IMO. So I now think a soft neoprene strap with small plastic quick disconnects might well fit my likings, but I'll let you know after it comes...

And I definitely do not agree that having no strap at all means I'll drop my D40. By leaving my holster bag's top flap partially unzipped, I can take the camera out to shoot and stick it back in quickly and comfortably, and attaching a camera strap that's large, clumsy to fold, and has metal hardware, would just get in my way... (And perhaps THAT could even cause me to fumble with the camera?)

Fen

Am a little nervous about it tho, feeling that it is somewhat less secure when I'm carrying it in my hands prior to shooting.
Teeth.gif

I guess maybe I'll get over that tho...
confused.gif

Anyone else relate to this?

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but have a possible answer for you.

I've been using one of these for over a year now due to spinal problems, I can't wear a strap around the neck of shoulders:
Gadget.brando.com

I use a D3 and this easily supports the weight of it.

Curt

I tend to walk about a lot before doing any shooting, I guess I like to size up my subjects (in most cases) So a strap is a must for me.
Otherwise I would have to carry my camera in my hand. The strap allows me the freedom to walk about without worrying if my camera is going to meet with an accident.

imnunky

I don't like straps, as some might remember my recent problems with my D90 and 80-400 attached, since that incident I have purchased the Cotton Carrier, maybe over engineered for some likings but excellent for me, I realy feel secure now,
www.cottoncarrier.com made in BC Canada, anyway it's worth a look IMO, does not hang on your neck, I would certainly like some opinions,