Hello from Dreamer's Realm Phoptography in Massachsuetts, USA

Hello!

My name is Heather and my business(still very small but I'm working on it!) is Dreamer's Realm Photography. I am presently shooting with a Nikon D90, which is great because it is highly maneuverable - I tend to move around a lot when I shoot! I shoot both natural light portraiture(humans and animals!) and specialize in events from weddings to concerts - particularly Middle Eastern Dance/Belly Dance events. As a dancer and musician myself, I feel that my ability to anticipate certain movements and music rhythms really helps! It is endlessly challenging to shoot active dancers and musicians in very dimly lit venues that offer little room for movement. Any advice would be appreciated! I shoot with as wide an aperture as possible and almost never use flash as it is distracting for dancers, musicians, and audience as well.

I used to post on Flickr and loved the groups, but got frustrated when I found that pictures of mine were being used on websites and location without my permission. Anyone else have that happen?

I would love to hear suggestions for shooting and equipment!I'm dying to break into studio work, but cant afford a setup and I don't have the space. I'm also looking into hot shoe flash and accessory options.

Many thanks,
Heather
Dreamer's Realm Photography

ohkphoto

Snow White
Hello, Heather and welcome to the forum. I love the name of your business . . ."Dreamer's Realm". . .wow!
We've got a lot going on in this forum . . . the members are friendly, with great expertise.

How did you find out that your photos were being used and what were you able to do about it?

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your photos in the forum. Enjoy your stay!

Best Regards

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Heather and welcome! I actually stumbled on someone using one of my images when I learned about TinEye. I contacted the web hosting service which lead to the site's GM. We negotiated a small settlement.

If you want to explore what is possible with small flash, you owe it to yourself to try to catch one of Joe McNally's workshops. I did earlier this year and it was humbling. If you haven't already found it, Strobist is a site dedicated to flash.

Joseph Bautsch

Hi Heather and welcome to the Nikonites Community. Sorry to hear about the theft of your work. Unfortunately it's much too easy for thieves to grab something off the web and use it for themselves. I don't think you will have that problem here. If you would please add the camera and lens equipment you are using. It makes it easier for us to answer questions. In addition to the other advice given here you might want to check into the Nikon CLS shooting system. It uses wireless flash with the camera as the commander. A very useful system in small spaces. Would also love to see some of your work in the Gallery.

Happy shooting, :)
Joseph

Ruidoso Bill

Hello Heather and welcome to Nikonites! That's too bad you've had photo theft, it's really difficult when you post images online. Make sure you have all of your copyright info in every image. Even putting watermarks will only deter the amatuers, determined folks can easily use your images if posted online. One technique is to use small size low resolution images when posting, makes them a litlle less usable.

Curt

Welcome to the site Heather, from Canada. This site is great and you will enjoy all the photo posts (lots to check out). Enjoy :).