How do you carry your camera?

zx7dave

So this has always been a question...
So if you carry your P&S then you can put it anywhere...but are limited on your zoom and overall capabilities in how you want to shoot the picture...
The next step up for me in size would be my D3000 with fixed AF-S 35mm so both the camera and lens are not too overwhelming for socail events where camera's stick out like a sore thumb...So then I have more low light capabilities, and more setting options, but am stuck with one focal legnth. Necessary to keep the compact size...
Then we get into the D1X/D300Sw/grip with zoom size which people notice you carrying from a block away..never good as you have issues that vary from losing the ability of a surprise shot to capture folks in their natural state, to the problem of getting mugged or asked for money since you must be rich to own a big camera...
The various backbacks are nice that are out there, but super slow to get a camera into action from this position...so is only good for transporting to a event...
In the end I carry the D3000S (compact), or the D1X/D300S with zoom (obnoxiously large) and a backup Sony TX7 in my pocket. I always use the RS-4 strap that hooks to the tripod mount so the camera sits waist level and I can cup with my hand as I walk, but can swing into motion very quickly for a shot.
What is everyone else doing???

pjl

Lowepro Flipside 300.
Packs my D80, and all the lenses/batteries/filters I want to carry.
Not the quickest to unload for a shot, and kinda heavy after an hour or so...
I'm interested in a lens belt so I can pack a couple lenses I might swap out on the fly and not have to mule pack the big bag.
I don't shoot many 'people pics' at all; the sneak up candids are mostly for critters.
(Some folks I've seen in my travels DO qualify as 'critters'...:eek:)

zx7dave

I should probably clarify...I rarely shoot people..however when I am shooting a lot of landscape and buildings based on the population there always seem to be people somewher in the shot...usually the foreground...so being able to take the picture of them naturally walking by or standing is what I hope to do which means a quick picture..otherwise I get a great picture with the exception of I have some guy or lady glaring at me as if to say what do you think you're doing?! And that usually ruins the pic...
I am also a fan of the LowePro series for transportation...I use the ProTrekker 400 AW..I didn't really want a bag this big at first, but I found that as most of my cameras are full size the depth of most bags are made for DSLR's without grips.

blueiron

I usually use my Pelican cases to get my stuff to the area where I want to shoot and break it down into kit for the day. If it is on a hike or somewhere that no one minds [national parks, touristy areas, etc], I pack it in my ThinkTank waistpack. If I want to or should go low profile, I have an old beat up military messenger/musette bag that I carry my camera in. It works for shooting street scenes, candids, or where I don't want to advertise that I have a camera. I keep the camera out of sight until the people obstructing walk away and then quickly compose and shoot, before returning it to the bag.

In my neck of the woods, people that wear photog vests here are immediately tagged as concealed weapon enthusiasts, since they adopted the vest as a 'low profile' costume.

zx7dave

I will have to look into the ThinkTank waistpack...this might be a good solution...is it big enough to handle a full size camera with a 7" zoom?

Greywoulf

I use several different camera bags...
One very neat cheapo from ebay snugly carries only my D40 with a single lens that's no longer than about 4". -A Lowepro Zoom-2 that carries the D40 with a moderate 18-55mm zoom lens attached and also has room for a prime (f1.8 35mm) stored beneath it. -And a Mekko F3 messenger bag that could safely carry 2 DSLRs, several lenses, a P+S, a few magazines, and a lot of my underwear too! ">})

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
My standard travel kit is a D300, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Nikkor 17-55/2.8, Nikkor 70-300VR, Nikkor 50/1.4 and (sometimes) Nikkor 35/1.8. I also carry a Columbus nGPS, SB-400, polarizing filter, extra battery and memory cards. This all fits in a Lowepro Classified 160 AW (see below from last summer's photowalk).

The nice thing about this bag is that it fits into my standard backpack for carry-on for flights. And it isn't obvious that I have a camera in the backpack.

On our recent trip to Italy, I also brought my Nikkor 18-200 (in my standard backpack). It was great in rainy Venice (avoiding weather issues) and on a couple of tours for convenience. The majority of the time, I used the 17-55.

3733706292_8b971d83d5.jpg

Greywoulf

What do you think of that Sigma 10-20mm?
I'm looking to buy a good W/A, and I read where Sigma also has an 8-16mm out now too...
Between the Sigmas and the Nikon 12-24mm, I'm wondering which way to go for my D40?
Am also considering the Bower W/A or fisheye lens...
Thanks,

zx7dave

8-16mm is available at B&H for $699...drool...quite nice....
On another note...out of sheer boredom one day I hooked up a RS-4 anchor to my Sony T900 and added it to my keychain...ironically this is not actually that bulky and fits nicely in my pocket....of course the screen and other parts of the camera will get beat to death by the keys, but that will not stop it from taking pictures on a moments notice...and it was a older beater camera anyway. So once I got past the dork factor left it on there about a week now...and have been using it where I would normally use the iPhone..so not getting 12mp pictures with zoom option instead of 3.2 iPhone pictures...
No real thought to how practical this will be for long term...but I must say it has been a interesting setup to have with me over the last week...
DSC01886.jpg

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
What do you think of that Sigma 10-20mm?
I'm looking to buy a good W/A, and I read where Sigma also has an 8-16mm out now too...
Between the Sigmas and the Nikon 12-24mm, I'm wondering which way to go for my D40?

I purchased my Sigma 10-20 when they first came out. I have been extremely pleased with it. Color and detail is spot-on. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it again. I've let my brother and another friend borrow it and was concerned whether I would have to hunt them down to get it back. :D

Here is an example that shows great color and detail from St. Peter's Basilica in The Vatican.

large.jpg

fotojack

My Lowepro 202.jpgI carry my D200, 18-55, 55-200, and 85 macro lens, along with my SB600 flash, and all kinds of assorted goodies in a Lowepro AW202 Slingshot bag. Lots of room for memory cards, LensPen, filters, remote shutter, etc etc etc. I just love this bag. Easy to wear and even easier to get at my gear when a photo opportunity presents itself. I wouldn't be without it! It even carries my tripod!

Last edited:

Ranie

I have 2 camera bags.

1. Lowepro Toploader Pro 70 AW Lowepro - Toploader Pro 70 AW
It can fit either my D90 with grip or my D300s with my default walk around lens which is a 17-55 F2.8

2. Lowepro Vertex 200AW Lowepro - Vertex 200 AW
This one will fit all of my gears ( 2 camera bodies, 6-7 lenses and a couple of flash) plus my laptop. It also has a tripod holder on the outside.

The good thing about these bags are they have an all weather cover built it to them, and they are modular. You can get any slip lock attachments (Lowepro - SlipLock Cases) and modify your bag according to your needs. Another thing about the Toploader AW is, it is compatible with the Lowepro belt of belt system. Lowepro - Modular

LensWork

Currently, I have 10 different photo "bags" including shoulder bags, backpacks, rolling bags, holster cases and hip packs, plus my trusty Domke Photogs vest and Domke Photogs jacket.

Edit: I wanted to clarify: I do not have a bag fetish; I only paid for 1 of my current bags (Domke J1). The others were all endorsement "gifts" from Lowepro or Naneu Pro or Domke or Nikon (Domke Photogs jacket with Nikon patch) over the years. I do not "need" 10 bags, but I do use each of them as they are each uniquely different bags and each has their own use.

I've had the Domke vest & jacket for over 20 years, and they are still holding together quite well. I used other brands including Tamrac , but the only bags that I have ever paid for were Domke. Even though Jim Domke sold the company in 1990 (hence why I have to pay for Domke bags now even though he is a friend of mine), I still find Domke bags to be the most useful for me. They are simplistic bags that are quick and easy to exchange gear to/from without having to look or dig around in the bag (a big plus anytime you need to change lenses quickly), they have minimal padding which makes for a lighter, less bulky bag, and are superbly made of quality fabrics, hardware and stitching.

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

I use a Lowepro Stealth Reporter D200 as my primary bag. It handles the body and 4 lenses plus Sb800, batteries cards etc. It is getting a little crowded, been through a lot of airports.

nacg8or

I use a Lowe Pro Fastpack 250 when I travel and a Lowe Pro Slingshot AW 100 for around town. I like them both, although the Slingshot might be a tad small. I'm interested in a shoulder bag because they're easier to get your things out if it when needed but I don't like having to carry ask the weight on one shoulder. What I have will have to do for now.