which is the best - d40, d50 or d60?

Greywoulf

D40 is excellent... ( I love mine!)

-D60 is an update of the D40 with more MPs, but other stuff left out and a slower flash sync speed.

The D50 is an update of the D70/D70s, and as such is a bit obsolete. But it does have an advantage in that it can autofocus with ALL of the Nikkor AF lenses, while the D40+60 can only do so with AF-S and AF-I lenses...

Check out Ken Rockwell/s site about Nikon DSLRs and lenses. I believe he picks the D40 over all the ones you mentioned, plus over the D40X also...

Last edited:

Greywoulf

The D50 was the entry level body when the D70s was out. Take a look here: Template:Nikon DSLR cameras - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yep...
And I saw an older web review where they were comparing the D50 to a D70s. The D50 is a wee bit smaller than the D70s and lost some of it's options, but it's also similar to it in that it too has the AF motor in the camera body, so you can use just about any Nikkor AF lens with it, provided that you remembered that the new DX format also has a 1.5x plus focal length conversion...

It was later, when the D40 came out, that Nikon was both praised and damned for getting really creative in producing smaller DSLRs by leaving the AF motor out of the body and putting it into the newly designed AF-S, AF-I lenses instead. Many were concerned that there wouldn't be enough good lenses for this type of camera, and indeed for a long time there was no standard AF-S prime, only kit zooms.available for that format. But Nikon has long since fixed this, and now there are I believe over 21 very good AF-S and AF-I lenses available for such cameras as the D40, D40X, and D60, (and also very usable on the D90 and D300s), including the excellent standard F1.8 35mm prime............

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Yep...
And I saw an older web review where they were comparing the D50 to a D70s. The D50 is a wee bit smaller than the D70s and lost some of it's options, but it's also similar to it in that it too has the AF motor in the camera body, so you can use just about any Nikkor AF lens with it, provided that you remembered that the new DX format also has a 1.5x plus focal length conversion...

I spent too much time comparing the D50, D70s and D200 when I purchased my first DSLR. Since I was moving from Pentax film, I needed glass too which led me to the D70s. Great camera which my brother still uses with the under-appreciated Nikkor 18-70.

evisphoto

I have been very happy with my D40 in the time I've owned it. I wish that Nikon would have kept the focus motor in the body, because some of my favorite lenses still aren't AFS and wont autofocus on it, but understand why they ommited it. Besides that, no complaints.

D90 Guy

My first DLSR was a D40 and has been an excellent camera and has taken 44,000 shots and still works like the day I took it from the box. If you are new to digital photography like I was I found the simplistic menus a terrific way to start and don't be fooled into thinking that the performance of the camera suffers due to it being an entry level camera - it rocks!. I have now upgraded my camera body but still use this as my back-up camera all the time and would highly recommend it to anyone. I would also recommend heading over to Ken Rockwells site to see what he has to say too.

LGBowden

I believe the D60 was a slight upgrade to the D40x. I'd have preferred the D60 to the D40x though - the latter has some form of sensor cleaning system and I'd die for that now. Sensor grot is the bane of my life.

silvertip

I started with a D50 and loved it. Still have it and use it occasionally. Shooting high school basketball I needed something faster frame per second rate and the continuous focusing is nice.