Grettings Nikonites!!

trkramer

Hi everyone! So I just signed up today and am hoping to get some good conversation going about how I can become a better photog using my D80. My current mission right now is debating on whether to get a new zoom lens or just drop some cash and use fixed length lenses. Anyway, figured I would say hello and I look forward to being on here.

Tim

trkramer

I currently have the 18-135 DX "kit" lens. I like it, but I often wonder if getting a newer VR lens would be beneficial. I like the new Tamron 18-270 to give more of a range, but I also like the fixed length of just having a 50 and moving around and then having a another lens for the telephotos. If only I had unlimited cash, then I can have it all!!

KennethHamlett

I can tell you, I thank God everyday for my VR lenses. I've been shooting for over 30 years and many years ago I could easily hand-hold my Nikon F3 with MD4 motor drive and a 600mm catadioptric lens and get really sharp images. Fast forward 30 years and I can still hand hold pretty good, but VR certainly comes in handy with long lenses and slower shutter speeds. I have always been a big fixed focal length guy myself - less moving elements, larger apertures and more glass, but today's zooms are quite good. Go to the store and try them out. See what you like best. You'd be surprised, sometimes it's not what you think.

trkramer

Thanks for the info. What are your thoughts on these "gray market" lenses that I see on B&H and other sites? I have a friend who swears against them, but another friend that buys them to cut down cost and she never has any issues.

KennethHamlett

I haven't been up on it lately but gray market equipment used to be the exact same equipment without the U.S. warranty. Warranty's are important because sometimes you just never know when you'll buy a dud. It's easier to cough up the few extra bucks now than to pay for buying another lens altogether.

trkramer

Thanks Kenneth! I will start up a thread in the Lenses category to get some opinions on some different fixed stuff. Cheers!