Can we make this site more interactive?

Vivek Sharma

Hi all :eek:,

I have a suggestion.We can make this site more interactive by keeping weekly challenges based on different themes,we would be learning a lot and suggesting on the photos about how can it be improved?.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
one new feature that you will see is the helpful post rating system. It now highlights and links to the most helpful post in a thread. It allows members to vote on posts and for people viewing a thread for the first time to quickly find an answer. You can see it in action in this thread :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Red Kite

Hi all :eek:,

I have a suggestion.We can make this site more interactive by keeping weekly challenges based on different themes,we would be learning a lot and suggesting on the photos about how can it be improved?.

I like this idea. Also, I often look through other peoples' galleries and wonder what inspired them. I would be interested to see some contributors' favourite photos with an explanation of why they took that particular shot.

karlyh

Just my two cents.......... I joined this forum (first ever) in order to receive feedback on my photos, either good or bad or just a general thumbs up or down. I thought the purpose of having a gallery was to upload photos that we would want feedback on.... My first 2-3 days on Nikonites, I went on a upload frenzy thinking I would get just that..... I've been on others galleries and commented on a few but noticed that no one else has bothered. So I'm confused and curious of the purpose of it at all. So, in my opinion..... The whole of the site would be much better enhanced/interactive and just downright interesting if photo critiquing was left to the galleries themselves instead of a separate entity in the forum.
And then maybe I've got the idealism of this forum off base, in which case I'll continue to look for a community that can help me by critiqueing my photos....... The forums are great.... the feedback from questions I've asked has been awesome and intentive. But spending quality time in the galleries rather it be me or you could be just the ticket to a better community of friends/fellow photographers etc.

Karly - I can see where you're coming from, however I believe you to be the exception to the rule.
In general, the gallery is where you place photos so that others can see your work. From there, if you'd like a critique of a particular image, I'd link to that image in the gallery and start a thread in the critique section. Personally, when I go into the galleries, I simply look at the images themselves, and don't go in with a mindset of "how could this picture be improved?", because I'm simply there to enjoy the scenery. In the critique forum, I'm there to look at the image, see if I find something that would make the image better, and be able to interact with the photographer - perhaps they had a reason to capture the image the way they did, or something that interprets their vision that I'm not privy to unless I ask.

karlyh

Karly - I can see where you're coming from, however I believe you to be the exception to the rule.

I usually am!..lol

Okay, so the forum is the place for critiquing... And you say there's a way to link directly to any particular photo in your gallery?.. Well that would make it easier than having to upload a second time.
But, I still think there should be more personal interaction in galleries ... If I'm going to look at someone's photo and I like it.... Most usually, I'm going to say so. :eek:

I usually am!..lol

And you say there's a way to link directly to any particular photo in your gallery?..

No - I'm not saying that at all ;)

Beware of the image - don't click on it.

I know you're just itching to click on it

So go ahead and click on it:

Look to the right of the comments on your image, and you'll find this:

img_code.jpg

Copy the middle link information and paste it into your thread - which is what I did for your lighthouse picture.

:)

Last edited:

Red Kite

I usually am!..lol

Okay, so the forum is the place for critiquing... And you say there's a way to link directly to any particular photo in your gallery?.. Well that would make it easier than having to upload a second time.
But, I still think there should be more personal interaction in galleries ... If I'm going to look at someone's photo and I like it.... Most usually, I'm going to say so. :eek:

Karly I agree. If I like a photo in someone's gallery I would add a note to say so. I wouldn't dream of critiqueing their photos .. apart from the fact that I am hardly in a position to do so just yet ;)

I haven't look in the critique forum yet, but I am sure it would be a great place to go for advice on how to take better pictures.

karlyh

Karly I agree. If I like a photo in someone's gallery I would add a note to say so. I wouldn't dream of critiqueing their photos .. apart from the fact that I am hardly in a position to do so just yet ;)

Me either!! Even if I seen a photo that could use a little advice, I'm not confident enough in what I do to be the one to do the critiqueing! I just simply think that people are joining up/coming on and seeing zero comments from others and so are not leaving any either... I know for me when I first joined, I thought it was really 'quiet' here... If you're visiting galleries anyway, why not simply say 'good shot' or even ' what were you thinking when you took this shot'.... in one anothers gallery... I understand of selecting a particular photo that you may 'want' to be critiqued and putting that in the forum 'photo critique' thread... makes good sense if your asking for advice/feedback and/or criticism.... but as this thread asks 'What could make this site more interactive'.... for me personally.....encouraging comments in galleries would be it. When I stumble upon a particular photo.... I'm going to see comments before mine..... I may like what the other commentor has to say and it would entice me to look at that person's gallery as well..... if we all did that, then it would start feeling like a community.... In other words... just spread the love! teehee