Nikon 70-300 making grinding noise

scox0300

My 70-300 lens is making a grinding noise and when it does that is won't focus. The only way I can consistently make it focus is to put the camera on AUTO. I didn't get a D 90 and good lenses to use it in Auto. When it does rarely decide to focus the shots a beautiful.

Because of this I miss some beautiful bald eagle shots in Northern WI.

Help. I'm leaving for Italy soon and was depending on this lens.

blueiron

That is something that is not user-repairable. It needs to go to Nikon repair in either Melville or El Segundo, or perhaps an authorized Nikon repair facility closer to you.

fotojack

I'm afraid blueiron is right, scox. This is not user repairable. Depending on how long you've had it, it may still be under warranty. You might just have to check that out.

scox0300

I'm afraid blueiron is right, scox. This is not user repairable. Depending on how long you've had it, it may still be under warranty. You might just have to check that out.

I have already written to Adorama where I bought the camera and lenses. While I've got you experts at hand I have another question. I'm about to make my 5th trip to Italy. the area where we'll be staying in at the foot of mountain and there is a haze in the air all summer and into the fall until the weather gets crispy cool. What would be the one best filter to have with me, or to leave on the lens at all times and what is the best brand of filter.

blueiron

While Adorama will do what they can to help, they are not the factory repair center and dealing with them only delays the repair and the return of the lens to you.

You can call Nikon USA directly at 1-800-645-6678 or deal with an independent authorized repair center nearest to you. They can repair it and return it to you as soon as possible, rather than dealing with a dealer return.

Try a beutral gradient filter.

scox0300

My hope is that Adorama will make it completely right and replace the lens. If not I'll try a local Nikon repair. I live near Indianapolis. Maybe there is something here.

On the filter, is Beutral the brand name? Excuse my ignorance.

fotojack

I think blueiron means a neutral gradient filter. :) My recommendation for a brand name is Tiffen. A much more expensive filter brand name would be Hoya. I prefer Tiffen myself.

blueiron

Fotojack is right, a neutral gradient filter. Having large hands is a handicap when typing.

As far as a close repair shop to you, there are two in Illinois:

Authorized Photo Service
8125 River Drive, Suite 100
Morton Grove, IL 60053
847-966-4091
Fax: 847-966-4101

and

United Camera & Binocular Rpr. Corp.
1062 Tower Lane
Bensenville, IL 60106
630-595-2525
Fax: 630-595-2526

Was the lens bad when you ordered and received it?

scox0300

I have to assume the lens was bad when I received it 6 mos. ago but I never tried it until I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago.

scox0300

This is a wrap up on my grinding lens. Thank you all for all of your help. A friend of mine at Nikon USA in NY had me send the lens to him. I will be repaired (no$) and back to me in a week. Yea!!! Now I'll price shop for a Tiffen gradient lens filter to help the hazy situations. Is is OK to leave is on all the time?

blueiron

I would not leave it on like one does a UV filter. It can turn the sky in a photo into a really ugly ominious look under certain lighting situations.

Joseph Bautsch

If you are referring to a neutral density gradient filter it is not going to help the haze problem. You can cut out a lot of the haze with a CPL filter (Circular Polarizer). The only thing a ND filter will do is change exposure values and that does nothing for haze. A CPL can filter out the reflected light coming off the moisture particles in the air. It filters out the reflections from a pool of water or the moisture in the air to give you a darkened sky. It does the same thing with haze.