I am a new Nikon D5000 owner

Graphicsguy

Hi All

I was excited to find this group. I am anxious to take my camera off automatic and to start taking photos like the ones displayed in the Gallery on this site. I live in Colfax, CA (Above Sacramento) and I am looking for other Nikon D5000 owners in my area to get together with and experiment with the camera to master it's settings. If you live in my area drop me an e-mail at [email protected]. I look forward to hearing from other Nikon D5000 users.

Thanks

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy it!

My advice: Read as much as you can about photography. That way you can get a better understanding of what you want from a picture. After you learn the basics, pay attention to what the camera is doing in auto mode, specifically the aperture and shutter speed. Then you can move on to manual modes and adjust things yourself, if you want to. There's always something new to learn.

I own a D5000 myself and all the pics in my gallery were taken with it :)

Graphicsguy

Jdeg

Thanks for all the advice. I will certainly do what you suggested. Thanks for your reply. I look forward to hearing from others in the group.

Curt

I would suggest you pick up a Blue Crane video on your camera. They make one for every model D5000. Its not like a manual, but rather runs you through your camera's fuctions plus how to get the best results out of your camera, well worth picking up.

KennethHamlett

Hi All

I was excited to find this group. I am anxious to take my camera off automatic and to start taking photos like the ones displayed in the Gallery on this site. I live in Colfax, CA (Above Sacramento) and I am looking for other Nikon D5000 owners in my area to get together with and experiment with the camera to master it's settings. If you live in my area drop me an e-mail at [email protected]. I look forward to hearing from other Nikon D5000 users.

Thanks

I agree with jdeg and Curt and above all else...SHOOT! Shoot anything and everything and evaluate it afterwards. Take notes when you shoot so you can refer back to the conditions used (time of day, sun's position, weather etc.) Sounds like work, but it really isn't. Shoot and just keep shooting.

Graphicsguy

Hi Curt

I just purchased Elite Video Productions Nikon D5000 Made Easy two DVD set. It has been extremely helpful in understanding the camera and it's settings. I am going to order the Blue Crane DVD that you recommend. Thanks for the heads up.

Graphicsguy

Hi Kenneth

Thanks for your advice about taking notes as I shoot so that I will have them to look back on as I review the photos I have taken. I have been going out every day and shooting pics. It is so noce not to have to worry about having to get the pics developed only to find out that half the shots didn't turn out. Thanks to everyone who has replied to my original post.