Planning to upgrade lens for D3000

Curt

I have the 55-200mm & the 18-135mm. I think if you have the 18-55mm. already the 55-200mm is a nice combo. You should also look at a prime lens 50mm f1.8.
It is really cheap and a must to have. For the money (under $150.00) the best lens you will buy.

zx7dave

I ended up selling the 18-55 and used that $$ towards a 18-200 which is nice as now I only have one lens to carry for 80% of the time. I find I rarely need to go past 200mm when shooting...

Curt

I am going to give you the best advice I got from other photographers.
Invest in a Nikkor 50mm f1.8. It will be your favourite lens.
You can shoot under very low light conditions, it’s a fast lens the DOF is amazing, its very light (the D3000 is a light camera) so it will feel very nice and light in your hands. The price on them right now is fantastic (www.adencamera.com) . You will not regret buying this lens. The lens is so sharp you will be amazed.

fotojack

If the choice is between the 2 lenses, I would opt for the 70-300mm. Greater range, reasonable price. Just be sure to get the VR model. VR I or VR II...doesn't really matter.

Curt

Yes, that is true the D3000 does not have a focus motor, I believe. But I think even with manual focus this is a great lens??

LagunaAmy

I like my NIKKOR 55-200.
I've had my D3000 less than 6 months, and consider myself a "repeat" beginning photographer. The 55-200 seems to forgive my many amateur mistakes!

Curt

Well with the 55-200mm you have a lot of range (does the lens have VR)? I had a D3000 myself and it was a great little camera (lots of fun).
Doesn't matter if you are a beginer or a pro, its not the camera, it the person behind it and what you do with it. Keep on snapping :).

shutter

OK, I am just greedy I guess...I want both the 50mm and the 70-300mm. I will get the 50mm first and hopefully get the other as a gift from my husband. lol

fotojack

Look up the price of the new 55-300 in your area. Prices vary all over the world, so giving you a price is not practical. For instance, the 55-300 lens where I live is $382 Cdn . Who knows what it is where you live! See my point? :)

lisaodnerolf

i do have a d3000 also and im also planning to upgrade lens.. im choosing between 18mm - 105mm and 55mm - 200mm... my lens now is 18mm-55mm... wat will i buy.. pls help... im a newbie thanks in advance

Curt

Just remember that the D3000 does not have a focus motor on board. So in some cases you will have to focus manually.
Draw back to the D3000 & 5000."-).