nikkor AF 50mm-1.8f

Curt

I am thinking of getting a Nikkor AF 50mm-1.8f lens for my D80.
I want to use it for everyday, lowlight, & close up work.
Anybody’s thoughts on this would be welcome.

pjl

Go for it!
The 1.8 will do you well.
If you can scrounge up some 'extra' $$$, get the 1.4.
Not a whole lot more than the 1.8, and gives you more options for low light stuff.
(I've got the 50 1.4. My 85 is a 1.8...the 1.4 was juuuuust a bit too rich for me pocketbook.)

Curt

Actually the 1.4 was quit a bit more money ($320.00), so I went with the 1.8.
Thanks for the tip, I can’t wait to get the lens and start using it.
I got it for $139.00 Great price.

blueiron

It is an excellent lens. I have one and aside from the plasticky feel of the barrel, it takes images than belie its inexpensive cost.

It is a better value than the f1.4.

The 85mm f1.4 is worth it for portraiture. The 50mm f1.8 is worth it for everyday life.

Curt

Thanks for the advice, I have a 1.8 orderd and on its way, I can't say I have heard anything bad about the 1.8 lens (for the money great value). Because of the DX sensor Its more like 75mm. But that ok, thats about what I am looking for anyway. As my D80 has the body motor the lens is going to work great.
Great to hear other on the forum think its a great lens too. I will keep you posted on how I like it :).

Curt

Right now I am using an old 1.4 50mm lens bayonet mount (off my old F2).
I have to use it totally manually, a lot of guess work to get a good shot.
So I am pretty excited to get the 1.8 AF-D lens….lol.

cfphil

I am thinking of getting a Nikkor AF 50mm-1.8f lens for my D80.
I want to use it for everyday, lowlight, & close up work.
Anybody’s thoughts on this would be welcome.

I have the 50 1.8 on my D90. It is an awesome lens for the money. I have heard from some that the 1.4 is considerably more and not really worth it to them. Go for the 1.8. I doubt that you will be unhappy with it.

Curt

Good to hear I made the right choice going with the 1.8. Looking forward to shooting with it next week. Thank you all for the feedback I really appreciate it:).

Ruidoso Bill

I just got the 50 mm 1.8 and it has given my D200 a new life in low light. You will be so happy with the lens, it's sharp as a tack! I'm saving my pennies for the 85 mm, gotta love the primes.

Curt

I have a question for you about your D200, do you like it?
I am thinking of getting a second body at some point. I have a D80 right now.
Not sure if I should just grab a D90 or go to a D200 or 300. The thing that is holding me back from the 200 or 300 is the flash card. All the cameras I use now use SD cards, so I have a lot of them kicking around, plus the flash card for the D200 is pretty costly if you want to get a fairly large card. Is it worth it? Not sure if I want to add another format...lol??

blueiron

What is it you would like to accomplish with your second body?

The D90 is little more than a slightly upgraded D80.
The D200 is a good camera, but the D300 is markedly better in performance. If you can get a 200 for a low price, yes. Otherwise I would go with a 300.

The CF card is the standard for pro use. They transfer faster, have more storage capacity, and are available at different price points based on speed and size. I use Lexar or SanDisk 8 gig cards in my D3 and there is plenty of room, even when shooting large files and bracketing exposures.

Curt

I realize the CF card is faster (I had that format in a Canon G5), I since bought a G10 which I love. It has gone back to the SD card. I just remember the CF cards costing so much more then the SD. I shoot wedding sometimes and changing lenses on the fly is such a hassle. So I thought I would add another body. I felt the D90 was not much of an upgrade (mine as while upgrade if I am getting another body). I have a friend with a D700, but that is a bit too rich for my pocket book….lol. So I thought of the D200/300.

blueiron

Find a 200 for a very good price. Enough people are dumping them since the D700 came out and they want a 300s or a 700. You'll have plenty of money for new cards and you are set. If you look a bit harder, you might even find a 300 for similar money.

Talk to other photobugs. Enough people bought 4 to 8 gig cards and now want 16 or 32 gig cards. You should be able to get them for a song without too much bargaining.

Curt

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it. I will look around.
I don’t think its as easy to find good deal here in Canada as it is in the States.

Curt

Just got my Nikkor 50mm f1.8 lens the other day and have been shooting with it ( will post a few pics. in the next couple of days). I can see why so many of you love this lens. It a great little lens, fast, light, I am going to have a lot of fun with it. I got a great deal on it through www.Adencamera.com. Thanks everyone for you input :).

Browncoat

Ah yes, the "Thrifty Fifty". I've heard a lot about this lens, and can't wait to get one myself. I'm anxious to see your shots, Curt! If you have the means, post a comparison: one with the 50mm prime and then the same shot with another lens you have.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I used the 50/1.8 AF-D to create the pano below with my old D70s. (I use it as the header image on my website.) Awesome lens!

dombekhdr.jpg

dombekhdr.jpg

fotojack

Curt.....I'm still waiting to hear from you via email! Did you get your D200 yet? I have a few things to send to you once you get it, so let me know, will ya? :)