What is a good zoom lens for the Nikon D5000?

amber123

I just purchased a Nikon D5000 and it came with the standard DX 18-55mm lens. I am not happy with the lack of zoom on this lens. I want to use it at sporting events and take on vacation to the beach and not have pictures that look like I was a mile away. If anyone has any advice on a lens that BB would sell that has a good zoom ratio for less then $250 would be appreciated!

Attachments

• kenonionboa.jpg
    kenonionboa.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 738

evan

Banned
yes the 55-200mm is the obvious choice, make sure you get the VR version though. a decent lens if you are on a budget.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
yes the 55-200mm is the obvious choice, make sure you get the VR version though. a decent lens if you are on a budget.

Evan, please do LOOK at the date of the threads you are responding to… This is a 2 year old thread that does not need more feedback. The original poster is not that active anymore so it's kind of pointless to waste band on this.

Thanks for being attentive.

Rick M

delete or close the thread then.

I think thats a good Idea. If something doesn't become a sticky after a certain length of time (say 6 months), why not delete it?

Might clean things up a bit and avoid the incredible embarrassment and humiliation of replying to a dead thread :)

Eye-level

Banned
The D5000 was pretty new when the OP was made. I think it was a first rate camera then and I still believe it to be a first rate camera now.