Titanic wreck site map

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I've always been fascinated with all stuff Titanic. I think in the last week I've watched more Titanic specials then most. There was a Titanic category on Jeopardy the other day and I got all the questions with ease.

One special stood out to me, Titanic at 100: Mystery Solved on the History channel, detailed a recent expedition (2010) to map the entire wreck site and study it. They used some very advanced robots to do so, including one that could take 3d video and high resolution pictures, and two others that mapped the site using sonar. More details here.

The outcome was some incredible images...

AIVL-Titanic-Bow-Onlooking_750_218516.jpeg

Titanic-wreck-site-map.jpg

Because of this they were able to find parts of the wreck that were previously unaccounted for. New clues were also provided to how the ship broke apart and sank. Very interesting!

jcottone45

I also watched a few of those specials. Then I remembered reading in one of either my military history magazines many years ago or another book that I no longer have, that the British Navy warships were built basically in the same place as Titanic & were all built the same with of course the obvious changes and they were wondering then if they were also built with the same faults!! Which shows that some one back then suspected as much, but I don't remember reading anything any further on the matter.
I remember that a Mr.Fischer I believe was his name & he was the first lord of the admiralty at the time & he wanted his 8 battle cruisers asap his phrase was " we want 8 & we won't wait" Well he got them just in time for WW I mostly all of them did poorly under the great stress of battle & were so thin skinned that they were useless against the heavy weapons they went up against, I don't recall how many survived that war but I think 3 were sunk at the naval battle of Jutland alone. The other 3 or 4 were badly damaged during the same engagement, including Beatty's flagship Lion but I can't remember if it was one of those 8 ships or not.I also believed the Hood may have been completed with modifications but too late to join the fight in that war & we all know of her fate!!!
Lesson not learned!! Thousands of able seamen lost their lives!!!

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I also watched a few of those specials. Then I remembered reading in one of either my military history magazines many years ago or another book that I no longer have, that the British Navy warships were built basically in the same place as Titanic & were all built the same with of course the obvious changes and they were wondering then if they were also built with the same faults!! Which shows that some one back then suspected as much, but I don't remember reading anything any further on the matter.
I remember that a Mr.Fischer I believe was his name & he was the first lord of the admiralty at the time & he wanted his 8 battle cruisers asap his phrase was " we want 8 & we won't wait" Well he got them just in time for WW I mostly all of them did poorly under the great stress of battle & were so thin skinned that they were useless against the heavy weapons they went up against, I don't recall how many survived that war but I think 3 were sunk at the naval battle of Jutland alone. The other 3 or 4 were badly damaged during the same engagement, including Beatty's flagship Lion but I can't remember if it was one of those 8 ships or not.I also believed the Hood may have been completed with modifications but too late to join the fight in that war & we all know of her fate!!!
Lesson not learned!! Thousands of able seamen lost their lives!!!

Are you referring to the Invincible class battlecruisershttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Invincible_(1908)? Harland & Wolff didn't build those. In this case armor was sacrificed because Fisher wanted speed.

Besides they already proved that there was nothing wrong with the steel or rivets used in Titanic. :) It was just a very unfortunate and almost impossible series of events. :(

I learned something recently about a car that was on board (as depicted in the movie). The guy that owned it, whose whole family survived, was from the town over where I live in PA (Bryn Mawr). http://jalopnik.com/5900720/was-the-car-jack-and-rose-had-sex-in-really-on-the-titanic

jcottone45

Yes I was referring to the Invincible class battlecruisers which were the first to be built. But I do remember reading about a fault in the hull design, but never gave it thought until I saw that broadcast on TV when the investigators went to the wreck of the Titanics sister ship the Brittanic. And according to these people they found that a statement by the white star owners was not true, they showed that the expansion gap was much wider in Brittanic than in Titanic which means the owner/builder knew their was a problem which they tried to correct in Brittanic except she was hit in battle by torpedo I believe, at least that's what they were all about on that show.!!
As for the warships they were also not built with strong compartmentalization nor did they have strict water tight door regs & that was the reasons they all broke in half on impact, all went down in seconds killing almost all hands.If I ever find the books I bought I will gladly share them with you.I bought them from the US Naval Institute library of books way back in 1972-5 or there about.The book I am referring to is Dreadnaughts and has the entire story of all battleships/battcruisers built from 1906 to 1946. The HMS Dreadnaught the first ever and I believe the HMS Vanguard the last. I had so many books from that organization. Then I got married need I say more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jcottone45

Ah, H&W did build the HMS Glorious though...

One of the "Elegant White Elephants" that were absolutely useless in a standing toe to toe fight with any battlecruiser including Armoured Cruisers as they were classified back then later heavy cruisers.
The Glorious was sunk at the battle of Norway by German battlecruisers.
I wonder why they only built that one, maybe they spreading the work to get more ships built in faster time as they were needed badly, the Glorious had 2 sisters The Courageous and The Furious which by the way was the only one to survive WW II

jcottone45

I had seen a picture of all three white warships leading the Grand Fleet to sea in one of those books.
You do know that all three were converted to air craft carriers between the wars.!!

jcottone45

Are you referring to the Invincible class battlecruisers? Harland & Wolff didn't build those. In this case armor was sacrificed because Fisher wanted speed.

Besides they already proved that there was nothing wrong with the steel or rivets used in Titanic. :) It was just a very unfortunate and almost impossible series of events.

I learned something recently about a car that was on board (as depicted in the movie). The guy that owned it, whose whole family survived, was from the town over where I live in PA (Bryn Mawr). Was The Car Rose And Jack Had Sex In Really On The Titanic?

I clicked on the prompt you gave & read the article, I think they're pretty much on target, though what I read was by naval historians & texts taken from the ships & word from the veterans on both sides which gave a much more detailed account of every battle & one of the books was on Jutland itself,the book is amazing.They had all details that most people would find boring but I found to be interesting
Some one I used to know loved it so much he offered to buy it from me, he was of German ancestry & one of his relatives was at Jutland under Hipper.He himself served under Patton during WW II. What a contrast!!
You can check with the US Naval Institute to see if they're available but I doubt it very much.
One of their other books I enjoyed reading was the Italian Navy in WW II you'd be surprised to know how many smaller engagements were fought & lost though they did indeed support Rommel in N.Africa so they did win quite a few of those engagements.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Yeah, the Brittanic and Olympic were retrofitted after Titanic sank with a double hull around the engine and boiler rooms and 6 out of the 15 water tight compartments were raised from E to B deck. Cranes were also added to move added life boats around.

Kind of crazy that they converted all those ships into aircraft carriers.

jcottone45

Ah, H&W did build the HMS Glorious though...

Sorry for the long replies, but if I don't answer you now I'll never find the articles again. I still have troubles navigating the site & I still can't seem to post pictures anywhere except the gallery after all this time, I am as lost now as I was back when I first joined, I just not a computer person in fact I've been kicked off this site for taking too long to write my replies.!!!

jcottone45

Yeah, the Brittanic and Olympic were retrofitted after Titanic sank with a double hull around the engine and boiler rooms and 6 out of the 15 water tight compartments were raised from E to B deck. Cranes were also added to move added life boats around.

Kind of crazy that they converted all those ships into aircraft carriers.

Not really when you realize that Britain needed carriers to survive, that's why after the 50 destroyer swap they asked for as many "Jeep Carriers" as we could build & send. There were almost as many of these carriers as there were destroyers. After the Avenger did so well we gave them a slew of them & they did even better than the destroyers at sinking subs. They provided air cover over the convoys & countless other missions.
I also had the British Navy in WW II as well as the German/Japanese navies I never was able to get the French Navy as by that time Married with children took preference over all else but I was able to buy my first Nikon FE.!!!