Nikkor 35mm 1.8 G

amonamarth

I just got my ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329804299.268692.jpg

I hope it's as good as they say :)

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
This is an outstanding shot, Eduard. Just beautiful.

Love the picture, great shot.!!

Great shot! Beautiful! Reminds me of Batman and Gotham city with it's dark, foreboding moody look! :)

Thanks! I was in San Diego for work last fall and literally took it off the hotel balcony one night! I noticed the crazy sky while walking back to the hotel. Another reason to always have a camera with you!

Bukitimah

It has been confusing for novice like me on lens. When one says 35 mm, are you referring to the use of FX camera or crop? I read alot of reviews but not sure if I should take it that they are referring to FX camera.

Eye-level

Banned
It has been confusing for novice like me on lens. When one says 35 mm, are you referring to the use of FX camera or crop? I read alot of reviews but not sure if I should take it that they are referring to FX camera.

Post #1 is a clear shot of a 35mm DX box... :)

Paul that seascape is a sublime picture! That is what a wide angle 35 was made for...very very good sir! :)

bluenoser

Banned

The 35 1.8 AF-S G lens is a DX lens. However a 35mm focal length lens always remains a 35mm focal length lens.

That is, when used on a DX body it is still a 35 mm lens HOWEVER the field of view becomes 52.5mm with the 1.5x crop factor. So when people talk about a "35mm lens" they are always referring to focal length and never field of view. It is not the lens per se that changes the field of view - it is always the camera body. DX lenses are optimized to work with the smaller crop sensor cameras but a lens like the FX 35mm f/2 will also work on a DX body but will still have the same 52.5mm field of view.

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
So basically with a crop camera you have to stand a little further away than you would with a full frame camera to get the same picture but it is still the same focal length...just magnified... :)

Eye-level

Banned
The really great thing about lenses like the 35mm is that you can set them to F8 and everything from about 7' to infinity is in focus...that is why they make great landscape lenses...

Ima Hack

Paul that seascape is a sublime picture! That is what a wide angle 35 was made for...very very good sir! :)

Thank you so much Jeff, that was taken two weeks ago on the coast of Cape Elizabeth, Maine.
This lens is so versatile, it's also a good choice for candid shots walking around the city when lighting can be so unpredictable.

I have found that f/4 or f/5 seems to be the sweet spot for sharpness.

Last edited:

amonamarth

To add to the list of great thing of this lens: really shallow depth of field. I was able to set it to 1.8 and focus on a point about 6 inches from the lens and still have a depth of field of about one inch, never has a lens that could do that, except my 50mm 1.4 from my old FM ... Which I sold :(

Phillydog1958

I love ALL of the shots posted in this thread. I love them so much that I went out and purchased the 35mm 1.8. I've been in the market for a faster prime lens.