Weekly Challenge: Feb 8 - Feb 15: TECHNIQUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohkphoto

Snow White
I'm guessing that Anthony is busy with his "new addition", so I'll go ahead and post one for this week -- ex-teachers are always armed with assignments.

Technique

Weekly Challenge: February 8 – February 15

weston_pepper_number30.jpg

(Photo by Edward Weston of Masters of Photography)

Your challenge for the Week of Feb. 8 – Feb. 15 is Technique: I think it’s important to sometimes check that we’re not getting sloppy because we’re more focused on the fun aspects of photography such as creativity. ( I know I’ve been guilty of this more than once. ) That being said, choose any subject you want, but focus first and foremost on your basic technique. Sharpness, exposure, composition, etc. In past challenges, you were allowed to sacrifice technique for the sake of impact or creativity. Not in this challenge, because your photo will be judged 80% technique and 20% creativity. Do NOT describe your technique if you’re using something special such as HDR or focus stacking. Do NOT describe your intent either. Simply post the photo without prefacing it with any comment.

In judging your photos I will be downloading them and importing them into Lightroom to check for blown out and clipped areas, and magnifying to check for sharpness and noise.

Also, everyone is always very generous with their “likes” on the challenge forum and it’s much appreciated. For this challenge, I’m going to ask you to do something different: base your “likes” on the judging criteria. Provide constructive criticism if you like (tactfully).

Each participant will be allowed to submit 2 entries.

Be sure to visit the Weekly Challenge Rules & Guidelines for more information. This thread will be closed on Feb, 15 (midnight EDT)...so get those photos in!

The Rules
1. Photos must be posted to the thread in order to be considered for the challenge.
2. Any photo submitted for a weekly challenge must be taken during the dates specified in the challenge thread and taken by you! Because not all EXIF data can be verified, we will use the honor system here.
3. Challenges will be judged solely by the winner of the previous week. There will be no individual voting.
4. Only one photo entry per member, for each challenge.

There will be no cash or prizes awarded for the Weekly Challenge, unless specifically noted by the site administrator. This is a member-run contest, and the purpose of the Weekly Challenge is to encourage member participation on the forums and to keep you taking pictures!

Any photo will be accepted for the challenge. Edited/straight out of the camera, it does not matter. You are left with complete freedom to do whatever genre of photography you wish to do, and your own interpretation of the challenge subject.

Carolina Photo Guy

I like this shot but...

I think that your camera locked focus on the wrong part of the flower. The petal directly under the stamen and pistil is in beautiful focus, but the rest of the flower seems to be out just a fraction. Also, if you look at the lower right corner, you will see a leaf that shows signs of having been moved while you were shooting. I would suggest that using a tripod and more closely following the rule of thirds would make a good shot a whole lot better.
BWTHDIK? :)

Philnz

I like this shot but...

I think that your camera locked focus on the wrong part of the flower. The petal directly under the stamen and pistil is in beautiful focus, but the rest of the flower seems to be out just a fraction. Also, if you look at the lower right corner, you will see a leaf that shows signs of having been moved while you were shooting. I would suggest that using a tripod and more closely following the rule of thirds would make a good shot a whole lot better.
Thanks for your comment. I can see I will have to dig out my tripod and pay more attraction to focusing. regards Phil

Philnz

I like this shot but...

DSC_0928_resize.JPGIs this a better image?

Status
Not open for further replies.