Optimum memory to run Photoshop CS6

I just bought a new desktop computer today to use for my photography instead of a laptop. It can with 8GB of memory but has a maximum of 32GB. Windows 8, 64bit (do they even still have 32bit systems) It has 4 slots for memory and two are in use with 4gb each. I was thinking of adding two 8gb sticks of memory for a total of 24GB. Is this overkill for what I am using it for? Would 16Gb be enough? I did some searches about memory and found so many opinions ranging from 8gb is all you will ever need to fill it up with all you can. One guy had 96gb in his. Hopefully we have some people here that have upgraded from 8gb to more so it would be nice to hear from them on if it was worth it.

• Chipset: AMD A75 FCH

• Memory sockets: 4 x DDR3
  • Front side bus speeds: 4 lanes, 5 GT/s per lane

Processor
    AMD A8-5500

• TDP: 65W
    • Operating speed: 3.2 GHz (up to 3.7 GHz turbo)
    • Number of cores: 4
    • Socket: FM2

Memory
      8 GB
      • Amount: 8 GB
      • Speed: PC3-12800 MB/sec
      • Type: DDR3-1600

Moab Man

My laptop runs CS6 without any sweat. Here are its specs.

AMD Phenom II P960 Quad-Core 1.80
6 GB Memory
Dedicated memory card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6370

So you should have no problem whatsoever with 8GB of memory.

My laptop runs CS6 without any sweat. Here are its specs.

AMD Phenom II P960 Quad-Core 1.80
6 GB Memory
Dedicated memory card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6370

So you should have no problem whatsoever with 8GB of memory.

I have been running it on my laptop for a while with the same setup that you are using. I can tell you it runs better on the desktop. My slowdown has been anytime I try to do a panorama of more than 4 or 5 shots. If 16 or 24 will liven it up it will be worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Don - FWIW, I upgraded my older AMD Phenom II Quad core to a Phenom II X6 1045T Processor - Six Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 3MB L2 Cache, 2.70GHz. The additional cores provided a much faster in processing the larger 36 mp file size of the D800 and video. I only use Adobe CS5 though.

During processing, the RAM stays only at 40% of the 12gb RAM that is currently installed in my system. Most of the work is being done by the processor. I do have a 1GB DDR5 GeForce GTX 660ti which works well with Adobe software.

So, a 8 to 16 gb RAM is ideal but if I was going to upgrade, it would be the fastest processor that your motherboard can accommodate since it does most of the work when editing NEF or video files.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
BTW, when it comes to computer products, I go to anandtech.com forum. They will tell you what's the best part to get. They'll point you in the right direction. Be sure to list all of your computer parts and software so that they can provide the best possible solution for your computer upgrades.

CPUs and Overclocking - AnandTech Forums

§am

8-16GB will be more than fine for what you need, but as already mentioned, CPU will take a hit.

When you're doing your work, monitor how much load your CPU is hitting and also your memory - that should be a quick and dirty way of knowing which you really need to upgrade.
However as it's a new system, I'm gonna guess that a new CPU is probably not the best upgrade to do (otherwise why not just have bought it with a better CPU?).
Memory is dirt cheap these days, just remember to buy in pairs (eg. 2x 4GB)
If you do buy any more then 4GB pairs, make sure you put the higher capacity ones in the lower number slots (usually paired by alternate numbers).

Anandtech is a great site for all sorts of techie info, as is Neowin and Tom's Hardware :)

Fred Kingston

You can never have too much memory... To balance the load, and increase performance the more cores your processor has, the better... especially with graphic and video software...

WhiteLight

Had tried running a 12 image panorama (all RAW) on PS & LR4 on my friend's 2012 iMac having 32GB of RAM
& the monitor consistently showed usage at 98-100%!
At times the system would slow down running other applications almost to a drag..

There seems to be no limitation to how much memeory CS6 would use.. it'll gobble everything you throw at it...
However i feel since you hav the empty slots & it's a brand new machine and mow that RAM is quite cheap, why not throw in another 8GB stick?

Horoscope Fish

My recently-built machine runs Photoshop smooth as butter. Current specs are an Intel i7 proc, 16GB of DDR3 RAM and an nVidia 560ti (1GB of VRAM). I don't have more than a few RAW files open at once, though... So bear that in mind.

If the memory was cheap, and it probably is, what the hell... Toss in another couple sticks and let 'er rip.

Cochese

Keep all your memory sticks the same. Your performance (speed) will be determined by the slowest memory you have. Remember that it's measured in capacity (GB) and ability (MHz). If you go with 8GB sticks, buy an extra or two and toss the 4GB sticks. Memory also works best in pairs. Two 8GB sticks would be plenty for most operations.

Buy as much as you think you need, because memory works opposite of the rest of consumer goods: once it becomes outdated, it appreciates in price.

Well, I ordered two 8GB sticks and added them in. They are all the same speed so they work well together. I now have 24GB total. they came in this morning via UPS and were installed minutes after I opened the package. Booted up the computer and checked to make sure Windows was seeing all of it correctly. All worked great right out of the box. Next on to PhotoShop to see how much torture it would take. first I loaded a 8 frame NEF panorama. Processor went all the way up to 28% so no stress there. Memory did not come close to maxing out so good there. It was a lot faster than it was before the memory upgrade. I did not measure but I think it was close to twice as fast? Maybe not that much of an increase but it was less than a minute to do the entire panorama. ON my laptop I would start it and walk away. I can have Bridge and Photoshop open at the same time and have Nikonites and Facebook all open at the same time and never miss a beat.