Upgrade from D3200 to ??

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The 7500 is not that big a jump above the 7200 unless you are big on transferring stuff to social media. Snapbridge is better than the D7200 software.

Dan, it has built-in WiFi and can connect to a smart phone. So pics could be uploaded to social media indirectly that way. Not sure how it works on a D7500 though.

Danno

Dan, it has built-in WiFi and can connect to a smart phone. So pics could be uploaded to social media indirectly that way. Not sure how it works on a D7500 though.

I know Cindy, but for me it was always really cumbersome. With the updates to Snap Bridge it has become much easier. I can leave the Bluetooth on while I am shooting and every shot I take uploads a 3 meg JPEG file to my phone. At any point I can pick two or three of those JPEG files and share them on Instagram of Facebook very easily. It stays connected. The wifi system that the D7200 did not work very seamlessly for me.

I would try to transfer photos and I lost connections all the time. It got to the point that I just quit dealing with it.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I know Cindy, but for me it was always really cumbersome. With the updates to Snap Bridge it has become much easier. I can leave the Bluetooth on while I am shooting and every shot I take uploads a 3 meg JPEG file to my phone. At any point I can pick two or three of those JPEG files and share them on Instagram of Facebook very easily. It stays connected. The wifi system that the D7200 did not work very seamlessly for me.

I would try to transfer photos and I lost connections all the time. It got to the point that I just quit dealing with it.

Fair enough. There is also the WMU app by Nikon (Wireless Mobile Utility) although I don't know how it compares with Snapbridge. I think Snapbridge was supposed to replace WMU. Both apps are still available for download though.

Nikonewbie

Ok I found this for sale $999, it this really a good deal?

Link

Nikon - D7500 DSLR Two Lens Kit with 18-55mm and 70-300mm Lenses

6346180_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

spb_stan

You might consider the Z50 since for about the same price you get lenses that are much better and the camera a lot smaller and lighter with great IQ and video. The advantages of a mirrorless are many, better AF, better low light performance and upgrade path retaining the Z lenses. Initial tests of the very small light 16-50 lens is that it has the best optics of any Dx lens. If a small light high IQ camera for stills and video is of interest, and with excellent low cost lenses the Z50 looks really good.
If used is ok, you can get some really nice DSLRs for $1000 such as a full frame D800 36mpx camera would be great for image quality. It is not as good for low light as the Z50 however.

Danno

If you are in this price range I would do a comparison with the Z50. It is a good camera and you can get a very similar kit for just a bit more. I have become a Z fan. Never thought I would go mirrorless, but I love the Electronic Viewfinder and the focus system is very effective.

mikew_RIP

Hi Bb, I do buy and sell gold and silver coins so closeup detail is desired. I also buy and sell firearms and closeup details are important as well. I like photographing wildlife outdoor action events. What is the difference from DX to FX? Would FX be beneficial for closeups details?

Although i have just bought the Z50 kit and i love it my thoughts for your needs are the D7500 kit, i am using the Z50 for wildlife and it can do it but its not as easy as the D7500 would be.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Bb, I do buy and sell gold and silver coins so closeup detail is desired. I also buy and sell firearms and closeup details are important as well. I like photographing wildlife outdoor action events. What is the difference from DX to FX? Would FX be beneficial for closeups details?

Although i have just bought the Z50 kit and i love it my thoughts for your needs are the D7500 kit, i am using the Z50 for wildlife and it can do it but its not as easy as the D7500 would be.

I agree with Mike. A DX body would serve you well for your intended subjects. Since the DX bodies are crop sensor bodies, the subjects will appear closer shooting with a DX body vs. an FX body. DX really excels for macro and telephoto (wildlife) because of this.

If you decide to go with an FX body, you have options such as a teleconverter to help make things in the distance to appear larger as well as extension tubes for macro work. Teleconverters and extension tubes can also be used on DX bodies. But the difference with having a crop sensor body makes things appear larger to start with compared to shooting with FX.