Undecided about lenses? Look here

Andy W

I don't have experience with those, but they should work well. A 70-200mm would be more versatile, but comes with a higher price tag.

Danno

If you are interested in zooms I would look at the Tamron 24-70 2.8 G2 and the 70-200 2.8 G2. They are both great lenses and they would work indoors and outdoors. I like the 85 1.8 also or the 1.4 D. The 1.4 D is nice and you can find them reasonably priced. A buddy has the 85 1.4 D and I borrowed it now and than before I moved to the Z6. I do not really take macro. I have a 60 2.8 D that I like but I do not use it often.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
You should have a look at the pre-owned market. There are folks out there jumping ship and going to other brands. Many times you can find great buys (not necessary given away), but if you can get lenses you need for about 60% of their initial values, you'd do good. As long as you can check them out throughly. For the use you mentioned, you should start with a 24-70 2.8 and a 70-200. With the D800 you can crop all you want so you might not need a specific macro lens just now.

Good luck.

You should have a look at the pre-owned market. There are folks out there jumping ship and going to other brands. Many times you can find great buys (not necessary given away), but if you can get lenses you need for about 60% of their initial values, you'd do good. As long as you can check them out throughly. For the use you mentioned, you should start with a 24-70 2.8 and a 70-200. With the D800 you can crop all you want so you might not need a specific macro lens just now.

Good luck.

Yes, I am looking to buy used lenses with a 2-year warranty. That should suffice, I suppose.

OK, I have settled on 70-200 Sigma lens, and now I am just trying to decide between Nikon 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 105 f/1.4 and Sigma 105 f/2.8 Which one of these would best complement the 70-200 choice, for portraits / headshots / macro?

crycocyon

The 85mm Nikon has closer focus than the 105mm (0.85m vs 1m). It really depends on whether macro is more important than portraits. You can get close with the 85mm but not true macro unless you use extension tubes. For portraits the 105mm is superb, possibly one of Nikon's finest lenses. The 85mm f1.8 is also a very sharp well performing lens for a lot less than the 105mm Nikon. Since you have a very nice Sigma 70-200mm, which can also be used for portraits, perhaps a dedicated macro lens would suit your needs (unless you shoot often in low light).