Strobe Control Panel Confusion

Dangerspouse

Hi gang!

Some may recall me posting earlier that I'd just purchased my first strobe/monolight, a Neewer S-400N (400 watt). (And taking Cindy's advice, I also now purchased a 37-inch octobox that I found on a good sale, and a C-stand. Cindy's never steered me wrong yet!)

The test shots I've taken with it have turned out quite well so far, and I'm really looking forwards to getting more portrait practice now.

However in typical Neewer fashion, the included "instructions" were bare boned, to say the least. Not to mention riddled with often hilarious examples of Engrish - also a time honored Neewer tradition. The upshot is, I've been basically left to my own devices when it comes to figuring out how to work the thing.

Never having had any experience though, and finding Google search results to be almost as confusing as anything Neewer sent me, I haven't had much luck figuring out much more than basic functions. So I was hoping someone here might be able to shed some...ah...no, I'm not gonna make the pun.

Can anyone tell me what the "Cell", "Prop", and "Auto" buttons pictured here do? I turn them on and off, or at least I think I do, yet it never seems like anything is affected.

Thanks very much!

NEEWER BACK PANEL (1 of 2).jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I've spent some time searching for info on this model - it seems to be sold overseas more (such as Russia) than here in the USA. But Neewer does offer good items. Did you purchase it via Amazon? I'm asking because this link shows a different looking model yet further down the page, it shows the same rear screen as yours. Just wondering if you actually received the correct model.

https://smile.amazon.com/Neewer-Pro...mzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

I believe the Cell is to put the strobe into Slave mode (only learned that from watching a Neewer video about one of their other strobes). So that button turns Slave On/Off and works in tandem with the Infrared Light.

As for the others, I don't know. BUT ... I did see on one of their other strobes is they offer a way to change the warmth of the light's output. So I'm wondering if either Auto or Prop might control that (if it's even available on your strobe). OR I wonder if Auto is TTL (to switch between TTL and Manual)? :confused: I don't know.

Below is an image from the Amazon link above. It shows the ability to change the warmth of the light as I mentioned. I just don't know if that option is for the strobe you have or the other strobe shown at the top of the page.

3695a127-22ff-40a0-bd37-59222852a7e8.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
This model isn't widely available - B&H has it listed as discontinued but doesn't have any reviews. So I'm not sure if they ever really carried it. Anyway ... my suggestion is to consider seeing if someone sells a bulb for this strobe to have as a backup unless it came with an extra one.

Dangerspouse

Thanks Cindy! Yeah, I got it on Amazon when I saw it pop up as a Deal of the Day kinda thing. My own foray into the Neewer site and elswhere turned up that same poster and chart (I think it was also on the Amazon sales page). Interesting that it's more of a foreign model. I wonder why that is?

Anyway, thanks very much for the info you were able to come up with. Guess I'll just keep playing with the thing. It's eventually gotta yield its secrets, lol!

:)

Bikerbrent

Best of luck Dangerspouse. In the past I have had problems with using foreign models, verses US or US + foreign models. But, if you are able to get it to work properly, it will be good to go.