Soccer Photography Question

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I just found out today that one boy's game will be tomorrow and the other boy's game will be Sunday. Was told they don't allow anyone to stand behind the goal posts so will need to position myself at a corner like @BackdoorArts suggested. This should be interesting - there's always a first for everything! ;)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Yesterday was the first soccer game. I went with my 70-200mm f/4 VR coupled with my 1.4x TC which is all I wound up using. I also took my 300mm f/4 PF with the 1.7x TC attached but didn't need it.

The 70-200mm plus 1.4x TC worked really well. I really wanted images that were closer to the action and not so much showing the entire team playing. I stood on the same side the boy was on but closer to the goal. That position worked okay for some of the time. The problem was the action tended to be more towards the center of the field making me see more of his back than his face. I did wind up with some of his face, but I don't want to post those. Next time I will try standing on the opposite side close to his goal in hopes of seeing more of his face.

Most of what I edited were cropped. All but a couple were shot in horizontal format which allowed me to crop vertically if desired.

Here are a couple images.

_5DX4227 low res.jpg

_5DX4229 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Those look terrific, Cindy!

Thanks, Dangerspouse. The camera locked focus easily so no worries with that. Sometimes when I shoot wildlife, images are a tad soft. But having people as subjects so close by gives a much larger target - and their clothing usually has more contrast than wildlife making AF lock a breeze. :)

I started out at 1/1000" shutter speed but bumped it up to 1/1200" after a few shots. Overall it was very easy.

Peter7100

Great action shots Cindy :encouragement:

I am however surprised to see them with masks on playing football. There is a lot of mask wearing still in the UK for various things but sport is not one of them.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Great action shots Cindy :encouragement:

I am however surprised to see them with masks on playing football. There is a lot of mask wearing still in the UK for various things but sport is not one of them.

I was told the soccer team (which is run by the township) wants spectators to wear masks. And I think it is required for the players, too. Since I sat further away from others, I wound up removing my mask. My glasses kept fogging up when my face was against the camera. But I had it to wear when I was near other people.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
There was another game this afternoon with older players. Only posting this one but had several that were fine. I spent time talking with a parent so didn't take as many overall as I did yesterday.

_5DX4250 low res.jpg