Should I buy Nikon 55-200mm VR lens?

weebee

I don't use mine much anymore now that I have a 55-300mm. But it is a good lenses and the price is right if it is good condition.

john*thomas

Get it. I have the 55-200 also as it was almost a no brainer starting out for the price. I bought mine used also. Now that I've used it awhile with no real complaints I'm leaning towards a 18-200 maybe but if I do I can sell this one for as much or nearly what I paid for it.

MeSess

Well, I waited to purchase the 55-200mm VR because I ended up selling my D60 for $200 and buying a used but new D3200 (shutter count around 200) for $300 instead. The same guy is also willing to sell me a Lowepro Slingshot 102 AW and a 55-200mm VR brand new for $90 dollars. I think I should take that.

carguy

So I'm just starting out with photography and I bought a Nikon D60 and a 18-55mm VR kit lens. I recently came across the 55-200mm VR lens for $70 and I was wondering if this would be worth picking up for that price?
If it's in nice shape, $70 is a great deal. I bought a 55-200mm new years ago to compliment my 18-55. If I did it over again, I would have gone with a 70-300.

That is paying retail or used prices however, if that 55-200 is nice, grab it :)

carguy

Well, I waited to purchase the 55-200mm VR because I ended up selling my D60 for $200 and buying a used but new D3200 (shutter count around 200) for $300 instead. The same guy is also willing to sell me a Lowepro Slingshot 102 AW and a 55-200mm VR brand new for $90 dollars. I think I should take that.
Yep, as stated in the other thread, jump on that deal.

Brightsparks

I have this lens and yes its a great day to day lens from 55 up to 200 and at that price well worth picking up i was sorely tempted by a 70-300mm VR lens, but the price was simply to high to justify. So, i ended up getting one of these instead - and it's possibly my favourite lens at the moment

MeSess

I have this lens and yes its a great day to day lens from 55 up to 200 and at that price well worth picking up i was sorely tempted by a 70-300mm VR lens, but the price was simply to high to justify. So, i ended up getting one of these instead - and it's possibly my favourite lens at the moment

I'm in the same boat right now. For the price of 90 dollars for the lens and slingshot bag I couldn't pass it up. I'm loving the lens so far and while it doesn't have the wider angle of the 18-55mm, to my eye it seems a lot sharper and is able to handle low light a lot better than I was expecting.

Blacktop

I'm in the same boat right now. For the price of 90 dollars for the lens and slingshot bag I couldn't pass it up. I'm loving the lens so far and while it doesn't have the wider angle of the 18-55mm, to my eye it seems a lot sharper and is able to handle low light a lot better than I was expecting.

I'm really glad to hear this, since I just ordered a Nikon refurb from Adorama for 89 dollars, before stumbling on this thread. lol
I was torn between the 55-200 and the 55-300, however reading reviews for about the last 6 hours I went with the 55-200.
Although it does have a plastic lens mount and the construction seems a bit cheaper then the 55-300, the IQ seems to better all around . (according to reviews). I am like you. I wish I could afford the 70-300 but such is life.

I also have the sigma 70-300 which I'm selling and the extra 100mm is really not as much as you might think.

MeSess

I'm really glad to hear this, since I just ordered a Nikon refurb from Adorama for 89 dollars, before stumbling on this thread. lol
I was torn between the 55-200 and the 55-300, however reading reviews for about the last 6 hours I went with the 55-200.
Although it does have a plastic lens mount and the construction seems a bit cheaper then the 55-300, the IQ seems to better all around . (according to reviews). I am like you. I wish I could afford the 70-300 but such as life.

I also have the sigma 70-300 which I'm selling and the extra 100mm is really not as much as you might think.

I saw that sale and I think you'll enjoy the lens since myself and most people on here who have owned the lens say it performs pretty well for what it is. Before buying it I looked up pictures taken with it and I realized it is capable of really nice shots. Now I see it as an inexpensive zoom that compliments my 18-55mm well and I can learn how to shoot at the longer ranges until I can afford the better stuff. I posted a thread asking whether I should keep both lenses or get the 18-200 and most people said I should keep both. Since your signature says you have the 18-55 and a 50mm prime you'll have a lens for most situations. I still need to invest in the prime but I'm going with the 35mm 1.8g.

As for build quality, the lens is really similar to the 18-55 and for a kit lens I have had no problem with that. I don't see either of them coming apart or breaking unless I drop it from a significant distance but then I would be more worried about my camera body.

Last edited:

Blacktop

Thank you for replying.
How does the plastic lens mount feel? This is really the only thing I was worried about. Also if the rest of the lens feels like the 18-55 and takes as good a photo, I should be ok.
Thanks again.

MeSess

Thank you for replying.
How does the plastic lens mount feel? This is really the only thing I was worried about. Also if the rest of the lens feels like the 18-55 and takes as good a photo, I should be ok.
Thanks again.

I just took out both lenses and compared the two and honestly the 55-200 just looks like the bigger brother to the 18-55mm. The build quality is identical and the lens mount looks solid enough to where you don't have to worry. If you don't feel like you'll break the 18-55 then don't worry. I swap them regularly and never once think "wow these are cheap and I need to be careful".

Last edited:

MeSess

Here they are side by side and they look almost the same... excuse the Iphone photo those are the only two lens I have lol

IMG_1363.jpg

Blacktop

Thanks so much, you have eased my mind. Also I just thought of this as well .The 55-200 will be at f4 at 55mm as the 18-55 is at f5.6 at 55mm. Good deal all around.

Ha-ha, no worries about the iPhone. I actually used to think that my Galaxy s3 took great pics.:D

MeSess

Thanks so much, you have eased my mind. Also I just thought of this as well .The 55-200 will be at f4 at 55mm as the 18-55 is at f5.6 at 55mm. Good deal all around.

No problem, I use this place so much for advice/concerns that I try to give any help if I can. The two definitely compliment each other. Post your thoughts and maybe some shots after you get it, I'm curious what your impression will be.

MeSess

Ok, as promised i posted some shots over at the Lens/telephoto section.
I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how well it performs for such an inexpensive lens.

http://nikonites.com/telephoto/2152...b-55-200mm-vr-lens-arrived.html#axzz2xCw2yHNO

I'm glad you like the performance already. I agree, you can't really beat the lens at that price and you'll only get better with it. Here are a few shots I took when I first got it experimenting with the range, bokeh and black and white.

Bird.jpgRose.jpgTractorBW.jpgTree.jpg