Refurb lenses & cameras pros & cons ????

Dakota

Nikon has some pretty good prices on both. I know they only give a 90 warranty on there refurb products. New its a 1 year unless you buy an extended warranty depending on where you buy. Interesting to hear from anyone who has bought a refurb lens or camera from Nikon and how it performed and any troubles with the purchase after the sale? Be nice to know why it was returned but I do not think they will give out that info to the buyer. Feedback appreciated Thank you Bill

Fred Kingston_RIP

Some Nikon dealers give longer than the Nikon 90 day warranty...

I bought a used D300 from Robert's Camera in Indiana, and the on/off switch failed during their 6 month warranty. (Yes, they warranted a used camera for 6 months.) They didn't have another Used D300 in stock in the same Grade as my camera, so they replaced it with a Nikon Factory refurb'd D300 with a 1 year warranty...

nickt

I have bought several lenses and one camera body as refurbs. I think I got them all at Adorama. They often have unbeatable deals on refurbs. Other places often have longer warranties, Cameta and Roberts come to mind.
I don't mind a refurb. They are likely returns during the first 30 days. I bet a good number are just people changing their minds. And if it was broken, oh well, I trust Nikon fixed it like new. I worked in manufacturing for 20 years, products don't always work right out of the gate or they fail within a few weeks and then live a normal life after that early repair.

480sparky

Refurbs have someone who is certified handle each camera to bring it up to the same standard as a new... something that even the new ones do not have.

I have bought lenses and cameras from Cameta and have been very happy with them all. They offer a full 1 year warranty on all their refurbished items. I have not seen a better price anywhere.

Deezey

If I have the option of going new or refurb....I will hands down go refurb. it just makes more cents. All of my refurb gear has preformed flawlessly. And I have bought gear from all the major online dealers. Save some cash and still get a fantastic product and at most places get a great warranty to boot.

carguy

Nikon has some pretty good prices on both. I know they only give a 90 warranty on there refurb products. New its a 1 year unless you buy an extended warranty depending on where you buy. Interesting to hear from anyone who has bought a refurb lens or camera from Nikon and how it performed and any troubles with the purchase after the sale? Be nice to know why it was returned but I do not think they will give out that info to the buyer. Feedback appreciated Thank you Bill

My D7100 and 85mm 1.8G are Nikon refurbs. Zero issues and I would easily do it again.

singlerosa_RIP

I've bought 2 bodies and 2 lenses from Nikon Refurb. They run a 10% off refurb pricing periodically, which make the pricing even better. I've also bought a couple of refurb lenses through online stores (Adorama, etc.). No problems with any of the gear bought refurbed and I've saved big $$$.

Prefrosh01

I purchased my D7100 from Adorama as a refurb and it only had a shutter count of 8! It has worked perfectly for me.

My brother purchased an 18-140 refrub from them as well with no issues.

I would highly recommend going this route as I will likely do it again for my next lens purchase.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Purchased my refurbished D7100 directly through Nikon because of a sale they were having at the time. Never had any problems with it, and I think there were only 39 shutter actuations on it. Refurbished items come in different boxes indicating they are refurbished--more of a whitish-grey color.

salukfan111

If I have the option of going new or refurb....I will hands down go refurb. it just makes more cents. All of my refurb gear has preformed flawlessly. And I have bought gear from all the major online dealers. Save some cash and still get a fantastic product and at most places get a great warranty to boot.
I got a refurbed 80-400G I never would have bought new. Ditto for a 600mm f/4 I picked up as well.