Newbie question

Seniornewbie

Hello. Need some advice please. I purchased a Canon point and shoot SX70 and have used it a bit and decided to go for a dslr. Found a gently used D3400 with only 430 clicks with as 18-55 lens. I’ve since purchased an f1.8 and a 70-200 lens.
Question is twofold:
Any other lens I need, and although the SX 70 has 65x zoom do I really need it anymore?
Thanks!

Needa

Challenge Team
Welcome!

Any other lens I need, and although the SX 70 has 65x zoom do I really need it anymore?
Keep it for about 5 months if you don't use you don't need it.
Found a gently used D3400 with only 430 clicks with as 18-55 lens. I’ve since purchased an f1.8 and a 70-200 lens.
Any other lens I need
Use what you have for an extended period of time then you should be able to answer your own question, it will depend on what you like to photograph. If it small bird and animals you may want a 200-500 or a 150-600. On the flip side there are some who use only one fix fix focal length lens. You also may want a different camera and that may have an impact on lens choice. So just use what you have for now and see.

What focal length is the 1.8?

Seniornewbie

Welcome!

Use what you have for an extended period of time then you should be able to answer your own question, it will depend on what you like to photograph. If it small bird and animals you may want a 200-500 or a 150-600. On the flip side there are some who use only one fix fix focal length lens. You also may want a different camera and that may have an impact on lens choice. So just use what you have for now and see.

What focal length is the f1.8

Seniornewbie

Welcome!

What focal length is the 1.8?
35 f1.8

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Hello. Need some advice please. I purchased a Canon point and shoot SX70 and have used it a bit and decided to go for a dslr. Found a gently used D3400 with only 430 clicks with as 18-55 lens. I’ve since purchased an f1.8 and a 70-200 lens.
Question is twofold:
Thanks!
Welcome!

Please feel free to introduce yourself here - https://nikonites.com/forum/forums/new-member-introductions.35/post-thread

Clovishound

I agree with Needa. Use the camera and lenses you have for a while and learn what niche you really are interested in. That will lead you to what lenses you will need. As she hinted, there is a danger of buying lenses for the crop sensor DSLR you have now, and then you find that you want to move into either full frame or mirrorless. I started with film cameras, got out of the hobby for decades and then got back in with a D3400. I quickly found that I wanted to "move up" to something that suited my style more and got into a full frame mirrorless. All the camera manufacturers are moving to mirrorless, and Nikon is no longer developing any new DSLR models.

If you do buy another lens/lenses for your D3400, consider a full frame FX lens. That way you will be able to use it with either a full frame DSLR, or a mirrorless using an FTZ adapter.

Despite being a consumer grade camera, the D3400 is capable of producing quality images as long as you do your part. There is no way you will be able to tell any definitive difference between the images from my D3400 and my Z5 full frame, aside from low light performance.

Learn your camera. Have fun with it. Try lots of new things with it, and you will likely find your place and where you want to go with your photography.

Dawg Pics

If you shoot wildlife, you might find the zoom you have is lacking. Many of us have one that is 500mm or 600mm focal length.
Zoom, wide angle, portrait lens or macro. It just depends on what you like to shoot and what you wish you had while out shooting.

If you can figure out how to get the EXIF data on the images you like here on the forum, that might help you decide what lenses to start looking at. I think you need to download something for that.

Seniornewbie

If you shoot wildlife, you might find the zoom you have is lacking. Many of us have one that is 500mm or 600mm focal length.
Zoom, wide angle, portrait lens or macro. It just depends on what you like to shoot and what you wish you had while out shooting.

If you can figure out how to get the EXIF data on the images you like here on the forum, that might help you decide what lenses to start looking at. I think you need to download something for that.
Thanks