New D3100 owners

solberg2004

Hi All. New to this forum. I made the step up to an SLR at the end of last year and purchased a D3100. I also purchased the 55-200 lens separately as the photography I am taking is mainly motorsport and standing from a 'safe distance' in the process. Slowly getting used to the camera more and more and getting more familiar with the manual settings and functions. Most of the shooting I do is in aperture mode, as I find I can adjust the F setting easily if I want to vary my shots from clear sharp moving images to blurred motion images.
I have attached some of my photos for commen,t and if there are any suggestions on where I can improve my work or use other settings, they would be most welcome.
_DSC0351.jpg

_DSC0179.jpg

_DSC0261.jpg

_DSC0589.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Murray

Hi All. New to this forum. I made the step up to a SLR at the end of last year and purchased a D3100. I also purchased the 55-200 lens separately as the photography i am taking is mainly motorsport and standing from a 'safe distance' in the process. Slowly getting use to the camara more and more and getting more familar with the manual settings and functions. Most of the shooting i do is in aperature mode as i find i can adjust the F setting easily if i want to vary my shots from clear sharp moving images to blurred motion images.
I have attached some of my photos for comment and if there is any suggestions on where i can improve my work or use other settings they would be most welcome.
View attachment 49563View attachment 49560View attachment 49562View attachment 49566
When I have done Rally Aus and V8 Super car photos I always used shutter priority, it gives me more control over the subject.

Examples are...

351GT.jpg

Get in nice and close, practice panning.

44294-86.jpg

Make the subject more appealable by adding in extra's ;)

44294-Roll-Over-1 (1).jpg44294-Roll-Over-2.jpg44294-Roll-Over3.jpg

Always use Continuous shooting, you never know when this will happen.

44294-Press-Evac.jpg

Keep your options open :)
All taken with D80 and 80-400mmVR

Last edited:

weebee

Came home from work and there it was, waiting to get opened! I see I have a bit of learning ahead of me. But, I'm ready.
DSCN0664.jpg

RubenAlonzo

Greetings Everyone, Ruben here from Texas and my wife purchased a D3100 for me on Valentines day! My previous DSLR was the Nikon D40 (loved it!). I am still learning and suspect it will surpass my abilities for time to come!

nickt

Is there a way to crop or edit photos right on the CS,era? What editing programs do you use?
Typo? Edit in camera?
Sure, you can do some limited edits in the camera. Look for the retouch menu in your instruction manual for details. I wouldn't bother though unless you are heading straight from an event to the store to order prints. You can use the software that came with the camera, Nikon ViewNX2 on your computer. That may be a little too much if you are very new to this. Picasa from goggle is a nice free program and very friendly to beginners.

TikritTourist

Hello All,
Former amateur photographer here (back in the film days...) who hasn't seen a darkroom for nearly seven years.
My "skills", as they were, seem to be forgotten (regarding working the camera manually).

I just bought a lightly used D3100 and took my first photos with it yesterday. I am pleasantly surprised at how strong the photos turned out, considering that I was in AUTO mode all day!

I'll be lurking and posting as much as possible, as this forum seems to be JUST the ticket to help me revamp my skills with the camera.

I've just purchased Lightroom and PhotoShop, and hope to be learning them at the same time.

See you on the forum!

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Hello All,
Former amateur photographer here (back in the film days...) who hasn't seen a darkroom for nearly seven years.
My "skills", as they were, seem to be forgotten (regarding working the camera manually).

I just bought a lightly used D3100 and took my first photos with it yesterday. I am pleasantly surprised at how strong the photos turned out, considering that I was in AUTO mode all day!

I'll be lurking and posting as much as possible, as this forum seems to be JUST the ticket to help me revamp my skills with the camera.

I've just purchased Lightroom and PhotoShop, and hope to be learning them at the same time.

See you on the forum!

Welcome.

You might want to introduce yourself here -
New Member Introductions Forum

nickt

BobB

I've had my D3100 for a little over three months now and all I can say is wow. This is my first DSLR camera and I'm still learning new techniques and tips here on the forum and by taking a couple of classes. I recently purchased a Sigma 150-500mm lens and am having a ball with this lens. Since purchasing this camera, though, I discovered that it is in fact a grey market camera (made in Thailand). Anything I should watch out for? This just gives me an excuse to upgrade to a D7100 and keep this D3100 as backup. ;)