I don't get it... Nikon Nikkor Z 28-75mm F2.8 vs Nikon Nikkor Z 24-70mm F2.8 S

kevy73

1677069011108.png

It just doesn't make sense to me.

Clovishound

This lens is lighter and much less expensive than the S line 24-70. My guess would be that this is a very popular zoom range , and they believe it will sell very well. It should make a very attractive kit lens.

I, personally, would prefer to see them coming out with some affordable long lens offerings in the Z mount.

Fred Kingston

The 24-70 f/4 is a Nikon designed, Nikon manufactured S-class lens with superb sharpness.

The 28-75 f/2.8 is a Nikon-branded Tamron lens. It is not Tamron's current generation version of this lens but their previous generation.

So ... you trade likely lower quality with the 28-75 for one stop of extra light.

BF Hammer

As Fred says, the 28-75mm is a rebranded Tamron. Recently the news made it out that Nikon will only condone Z-mount 3rd party lenses that do not directly compete with what Nikon is making. That is why the odd focal range with the bargain f/2.8 series. Nikon just saw a way here to fill in a need for some less expensive f/2.8 zooms that also do not feature the extra stuff the 24-70mm f/2.8 gives. The extra data display window, programmable ring, ECT.

Clovishound

The S line of lenses are far more robust in construction, and are weather sealed. I consider the 24-70 F4 I got as a bundle with my Z5 a real bargain for the quality of the lens and price paid. Since this new lens is Nikon branded and has an additional stop, many will consider it to be a more attractive purchase than the slower F4 24-70 or the twice as expensive F2.8 24-70.

I don't see the 24-70 F4 offered as a bundle deal with the Z5 anymore, which is a shame, but probably makes more fiscal sense to Nikon. I wonder if they will discontinue the F4.