• IQ results are superb

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Low light performance

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • I wish I would have purchased something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dawg Pics

I notice 3 people have clicked 'High iso performance is good'. I would be interested what ISO number they were refering to as high?
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my D500 and it is my favourite camera ever purchased, but I wouldn't rate it as a great high iso performer.

I have a Part B to that question. What is good ISO performance? It all looks grainy as hell to me.

Peter7100

How high have you shot with it? Jake shared info on how well Topaz Denoise works. He has a few examples there in the following thread.

https://nikonites.com/post-processing/44269-topaz-denoise-ai-works.html#axzz72nD2EQyT

And if you go over to this thread, I posted a bunny image that was really underexposed (had my ISO capped at 4000). I was happy with it. Someone asked me a question there which I answered - so please be sure to read how I edited my image.

https://nikonites.com/wild-life/19700-post-your-mammals-45.html#post742627

By the way, I didn't vote in the poll at all - at least not yet - so none of those are my responses.

I can see you have had some good results by using various methods. I assumed the question in the poll referred to what the camera would produce without applying different noise software.

For me, I would say 1000 ISO is fine without applying any noise reduction, but I would say that is not 'good' compared to what other cameras can produce.

I haven't purchaed the Topaz Denoise as a friend with a similar pc spec to my own has had nothing but problems with it.

I wasn't even aware of the Nikon denoise software, so I will have a look into that.

Maybe we should have a new poll on what people think qualifies for a good high iso performance straight out of camera ;)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I can see you have had some good results by using various methods. I assumed the question in the poll referred to what the camera would produce without applying different noise software.

For me, I would say 1000 ISO is fine without applying any noise reduction, but I would say that is not 'good' compared to what other cameras can produce.

I haven't purchaed the Topaz Denoise as a friend with a similar pc spec to my own has had nothing but problems with it.

I wasn't even aware of the Nikon denoise software, so I will have a look into that.

Maybe we should have a new poll on what people think qualifies for a good high iso performance straight out of camera ;)

I think you might be referring to the Nik Collection, not Nikon denoise. The Nik Collection has a variety of options one of which is Nik Dfine. It works well for noise. Originally they charged for it. Then Google took it over and eventually offered it for free (you might still be able to find a free version somewhere). Then DXO Mark purchased the Nik Collection and updated it - which now costs money.

As for sooc files not being noisy, just remember RAW images don't have noise reduction added. In my experience, sooc jpegs at ISO 1000 aren't bad though.

Peter7100

And I just did - I checked everything except the last option. As far as DX bodies go, I've had the D90, D7100, D7200, and D500. The D500 is by far the best performer in Nikon's DX lineup.

I totally agree and probally by a huge margin, but my expectation of a 'good high iso performance' probably sits around iso 6400, as I see friends achieving great results with other bodies (eg d800 series and Canon's) by only applying LR NR from a RAW file. I can't get anywhere near that, but I still rate my D500 as a wonderful camera in so many ways.

Dawg Pics

@Peter7100 I just posted and 'almost' image of a bat where I cranked up the ISO to ...gulp...20000, and I had EV up as far as it can go. I turned it into a black and white silhouette image. :shame: