External Hard Drive for Mac

floridafan

Hey there!
Does anyone have a strong opinion as to which external hard drives they will entrust their digital files too? We have had them crash in the past and right now are using a Western Digital version. I need to purchase another one and am wondering what others are using successfully.

Thank you very much!

Fred Kingston

I don't... but I think, having a S.M.A.R.T. drive program is tantamount to managing multiple critical drives... I use DriveDx...

A bit of technical background... Pretty much all hard drives now are what are called S.M.A.R.T. drive... What that means is, a very small internal portion of the drive has a database that tracks a plethora of drive statistics for each drive... It was originally intended by the drive manufacturers to monitor the usage of the drive for manufacturing quality control reasons... The manufacturers know what/why and when a drive fails... so they created a small database to monitor that... There are programs, DriveDX being one, that reads that database, and reports on that... Large data centers use them frequently to monitor many server farms and their drives so that pre-emptive replacement and maintenance can be performed...

I'd suggest, if you have multiple drives and are worried about their expected failure rates and times, that you look into one... DriveDX is for Mac systems. An equivalent program, CrystalDiskInfo is for Windows...

https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx

https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/77497/CrystalDiskInfo8_17_3.exe/

Siuuu

Any one ever tried Western Digital My Passport?:)> I found at here: Removed link

Last edited by a moderator:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Hey there!
Does anyone have a strong opinion as to which external hard drives they will entrust their digital files too? We have had them crash in the past and right now are using a Western Digital version. I need to purchase another one and am wondering what others are using successfully.
Desktop or laptop? Do you need to use while mobile?

Patrick M

I use a Synology NAS which are superb disc stations. Their support clearly lists which hard drives, both HDD and SSD are compatible with their disk stations.

Western Digital changed the features of its hard drives, so be wary Of that brand.

For information, I had 4 3Tb Red drives which performed very well…and listed as compatible. When one finally, as they do, failed, I re-ordered from my previous order but when I installed it, the disk station gave me the non-compatible error message. It’s almost impossible to tell, but there’s a digit in the serial number….what they did was a hardware change some how, but never the less, when I searched the internet I found a number of disgruntled buyers who, like me, thought they were buying the same product.