D3100 Won't record video

zaeek

So, i got myself an used d3100, Tooks great photos, but it just won't record. Live mode works well, but record button is not responding at all.

Tried different SD cards, formatted SD cards, updated the firmware but no luck.

Currently using with 18-50 kit lens.

BF Hammer

Shot in the dark since I cannot see your camera settings. Is there a lever or slide switch by the Live View control for changing to video? Perhaps set the mode dial to Auto. Unless that is where you change to video mode. I do know that generation requires you to change from photo to video mode.

zaeek

Have you tried a reset?
Yes, tried almost everything.

Shot in the dark since I cannot see your camera settings. Is there a lever or slide switch by the Live View control for changing to video? Perhaps set the mode dial to Auto. Unless that is where you change to video mode. I do know that generation requires you to change from photo to video mode.
Well yes, there is a lever which opens live view. I looked on youtube how ppl record on this camera, tried same things. Also, there is no video mode. Looks like its just a record button i posted a video asking for help on other sites but no luck. Here's the video that i took.

I also saw one guy solved the record problem with changing the lens. I cleaned the contact points of my lens and my camera with alcohol, also nothing. Maybe there is a problem with the lens..? idk.

BF Hammer

D3100 user manual can be downloaded here: https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/19/D3100.html

Pages 45-46:
  1. Rotate the Live View switch on
  2. Choose a focus mode with the "i" button at the lower left corner of the back
  3. Choose and AF Area mode as described on page 38
  4. Focus (perhaps you are on manual focus and not adjusted?)
  5. Record by pressing the movie record button in the center of the Live View switch
So basically, at least try to press the shutter-release button to acquire a focus before pressing the record button. The person in your video never tried that.

zaeek

D3100 user manual can be downloaded here: https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/19/D3100.html

Pages 45-46:
  1. Rotate the Live View switch on
  2. Choose a focus mode with the "i" button at the lower left corner of the back
  3. Choose and AF Area mode as described on page 38
  4. Focus (perhaps you are on manual focus and not adjusted?)
  5. Record by pressing the movie record button in the center of the Live View switch
So basically, at least try to press the shutter-release button to acquire a focus before pressing the record button. The person in your video never tried that.
camera is in Auto Focus mode, tried all of the focus modes. Nothing. I guess there is a problem with the lens, or the camera.