Best of the D750

daveward

Re: Best of the D750!

He hasn't been active since 2015.
You can send him a private message. He might have alerts set-up or if he is still active on flikr, you might try to reach him there.

Thanks but I knew this was an old post and never expected the OP to respond. I was hoping others might have an idea....like..."in this situation I just crank up my ISO to the limit and pray"...or...is there anything about the camera that allows it to suggest a very high ISO....or..."it's just experience" and "luck". I was expecting that seeing this might prompt others to wonder how this shot was conceived. Thanks.

RocketCowboy

Thanks but I knew this was an old post and never expected the OP to respond. I was hoping others might have an idea....like..."in this situation I just crank up my ISO to the limit and pray"...or...is there anything about the camera that allows it to suggest a very high ISO....or..."it's just experience" and "luck". I was expecting that seeing this might prompt others to wonder how this shot was conceived. Thanks.

Don provided a solid answer. Since there are only three things affecting exposure (iso, aperture, and shutter speed), then its a mix of what’s needed to capture a particular feeling.

From the sample image you included, the room looks really dark. Options to properly expose would be: 1) very wide aperture, limited by the lens available and faster lenses mean more $$$. And what if all the children should be in focus? Shooting at f/1.4 not ideal 2) slow down the shutter to let in more light. As dark as this room is, that would probably be very slow to shoot hand held. Plus, shooting that Long opens the risk of motion blur or blur from camera shake. Kids tend to move quick, so faster shutter speed is probably best. 3) bump up the ISO. Sure dynamic range is reduced and noise will start to appear, but when weighed against the other options or not getting the shot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daveward

Don provided a solid answer. Since there are only three things affecting exposure (iso, aperture, and shutter speed), then its a mix of what’s needed to capture a particular feeling.

From the sample image you included, the room looks really dark. Options to properly expose would be: 1) very wide aperture, limited by the lens available and faster lenses mean more $$$. And what if all the children should be in focus? Shooting at f/1.4 not ideal 2) slow down the shutter to let in more light. As dark as this room is, that would probably be very slow to shoot hand held. Plus, shooting that Long opens the risk of motion blur or blur from camera shake. Kids tend to move quick, so faster shutter speed is probably best. 3) bump up the ISO. Sure dynamic range is reduced and noise will start to appear, but when weighed against the other options or not getting the shot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate the comments and understand what you and Don are getting at...but what prompted the OP to select 12,800 rather than 6,400 or something else? Is it simply because he could?

cwgrizz

Challenge Team

I appreciate the comments and understand what you and Don are getting at...but what prompted the OP to select 12,800 rather than 6,400 or something else? Is it simply because he could?
This is all an assumption, but I am guessing he had ISO set to Auto and the camera chose the setting. He probably had shutter speed and aperture fixed to get stop action of the child and focus in depth of field.

Skwaz

A walk round Skipton in NYorkshire
it’s about a half hr drive from us , a rural market town that has an impressive castle , but that’s for another time . As you will see from the shots the canal runs through the middle of it , it’s the Leeds to Liverpool canal and I believe was originally to transport cotton and coal across the Pennines from Lancashire to Yorkshire
The town has a thriving market I think , 3 days a week that serve a large rural community in the area . E660F62A-03C7-4CB5-9E6C-785A689DFCBD.jpeg
3D2C853E-8B8A-446A-9043-94F6474C00B9.jpeg
03BA2FF3-0858-4B91-BC69-4E1821D3E6C0.jpeg
A65CE232-C1AE-4E2D-8EC5-E6AEBFE01307.jpeg
8869FBC1-BC39-48A4-ADFA-C8460DF70B22.jpeg
BCBB70C8-70EE-4312-A6C5-E64DA9B37B00.jpeg

Attachments

• 39338DCE-2DA1-42D6-BBAB-E5779222CB3C.jpeg
    39338DCE-2DA1-42D6-BBAB-E5779222CB3C.jpeg
    429.1 KB · Views: 76