Battery Grip & Lens Upgrade?

guitarman1956

1: Based on a recomendation from a friend who is a Cannon user and is serious about his "upscale" gear, says I should get a Battery Grip. And, he says to get one made by Nikon. He made the mistake of buying an off-brand grip and cost him a camera a couple of years ago. In my research, I'm finding Nikon does not make a battery grip. So, is there one you would recommend?

2: I'm currently using the D3200 for shooting video for guitar lessons, etc. Should I upgrade my lens or is the stock lens good enough?

Thanks

paul04

You can get some very good after market battery grips, as you use your camera for shooting video, an extra battery in the grip will come in handy.

If you find your kit lens is fine, then no need to upgrade,

Horoscope Fish

1: Based on a recomendation from a friend who is a Cannon user and is serious about his "upscale" gear, says I should get a Battery Grip. And, he says to get one made by Nikon. He made the mistake of buying an off-brand grip and cost him a camera a couple of years ago. In my research, I'm finding Nikon does not make a battery grip. So, is there one you would recommend?
Nothing against battery grips in general, and I do agree on buying Nikon-branded battery grips. Nikon does not make a grip for the D3100, though, and I really don't like *any* of the aftermarket grips. After a couple bad experiences I finally broke down and paid through the nose for the ones I have. More to the point though... Why does your Canon-user friend feel you need one?

2: I'm currently using the D3200 for shooting video for guitar lessons, etc. Should I upgrade my lens or is the stock lens good enough?
I agree with Paul on this one... Getting good results is what matters, not how much you've spent. The proof of the pudding is in the eating after all.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I find grips are mostly useful for someone shooting a lot of portrait oriented shots. Since you mentioned you are doing mostly videos, the camera should always be in landscape orientation. In your particular case, I don't see how a grip would benefit you. Getting a wider aperture lens would probably be a better investment. Just my humble opinion.