Post your Train shots!

Sandpatch

From the Wayback Machine (as crashton calls it :cool:) is this low-rez Kodachrome scan from July 1980, probably taken with my Dad's old Nikon EL-2. We're at Benny Interlocking, just east of the tunnels at Gallitzin as two Conrail SD-45 helpers drop downgrade for another shove.

1980-07 Bennington PA 3 - for upload.jpg

Last edited:

Blackhat

NS 776 running west through Coshocton, Ohio, on the Ohio Central, bound for the Progress Energy Hyco plant in North Carolina. (29 June 2018)

DSC_1044.JPG

Sandpatch

As a result of CSX's many operational changes, only one freight train remains on a portion of the SAL main north of Columbia, SC and I was happy to get a shot of it yesterday. The lighting at this spot is perfect this time of year.

2018-07-10 Elgin SC - for upload.jpg

crashton

Nice shot Sandpatch & a good catch.:encouragement: Nice view of those Geeps passing that Darth Vader signal. It looks like it is pulling that train up a hill or is that my old eyes playing tricks on me?

Sandpatch

Thank you. You're right - it is pulling up a hill. I wanted to include it in my composition and am glad it can be seen. The SAL main through central SC must have been interesting during the golden era of passenger service. The line was completed in the teens and was not built to a high standard with it's many curves and grades. To handle the tide of passenger trains, the SAL put in dozens of short passing sidings throughout its length. Long slow freights brought huge dispatching headaches. Most of the sidings are gone today, but the rolling and curvy right of way through the piney SC sandhills remains, if only for Amtrak's Silver Star at night and our lonely late afternoon weekday local. :(

Last edited:

Sandpatch

We must have all hung up our cameras for the balance of the summer. I seem to have little tolerance these days for sitting in the heat and watching creosote bubble from crossties waiting for something to happen. Did get a new hopper car for the model railroad. Nikon's 18-55mm kit lens does amazingly well in many applications, even close ups. This car is only 2-1/4" (57mm) long.

2018-08-07 002 Bluford 60403 PSEX 0238 - for upload.jpg

Needa

Challenge Team
We must have all hung up our cameras for the balance of the summer. I seem to have little tolerance these days for sitting in the heat and watching creosote bubble from crossties waiting for something to happen. Did get a new hopper car for the model railroad. Nikon's 18-55mm kit lens does amazingly well in many applications, even close ups. This car is only 2-1/4" (57mm) long.

View attachment 293589

Glad to see you post. Got that new layout running yet?

Sandpatch

Glad to see you post. Got that new layout running yet?

Not much visible progress yet. I'm still working on my control panel, messing around with LEDs and circuitry. It's been many decades since I've had the time to play around with electronics and I'm really enjoying the experimentation. The control panel case is all scrap oak from my late father's stash and the hinged panels are of black laminate backed with 1/8" plywood. The power pack/throttle will sit in the center, with block controls to the left and turnout controls on the right.

2018-06-08 DS&N Control Panel - for upload.jpg

Sandpatch

Thanks guys. I use my router table as a poor man's jointer and after enough passes, I can make my Dad's old lumber good and straight. I made a test panel as seen below to experiment with LED brightness, testing various resistor values to create a level of illumination that isn't blinding and that's consistent across the colors. It's a work in progress.

Boy, I miss Radio Shack. I used to be able to run to the store and what I needed, but now all must be mail ordered and as I discover and experiment, the shipping charges are killing me. :(

2018-08-13 Control Panel LED Brightness Test for Upload.jpg

Sandpatch

Caught stacker NS 211 (Croxton, NJ => Atlanta) at Crosswell, SC yesterday. The Engineer gave my wife and I a happy toot on the whistle. ;) That UP unit could use a serious bath.

2018-08-17 001b Crosswell SC - for upload.jpg

Sandpatch

After wasting a tank of gas and many hours fruitlessly searching for NS's Reading heritage unit this weekend, I finally hit paydirt today at Devine Jct. in Columbia, SC as she departed. I'd never seen the Reading unit before and I think it's one of NS's best. Railfanning is hard on equipment, but my obsolete D5100 keeps chugging along always at the ready.

Oh, note that I was able to include Columbia, SC's historic Capitol Dome to the left. The statehouse still has the marks of Union cannonballs on its walls remaining from Sherman's shelling in early 1865.

2018-08-2018 003a Columbia SC - for upload.jpg

Last edited:

Sandpatch

Also caught these shots yesterday while waiting.

Here's train 192 arriving from Macon, GA:

2018-08-28 004 Columbia SC - for upload.jpg

and a light engine move running west to pull an empty grain train:

2018-08-28 005 Columbia SC - for upload.jpg

crashton

Great shots Sandpatch. Your D5100 still has the stuff, so does the old guy lining up the shots & pressing the shutter button. :encouragement: