70-200mm f/2.8 with 1.7 teleconverter

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
For those who own the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRii lens and a Nikon teleconverter, what are your thoughts? I'm most interested in either the 1.4 or 1.7 teleconverter but don't know much about either one. Which one will work best with this lens?

I don't use my D7100 for much of anything, but rather than to sell it, I am wondering how the 70-200mm lens will work on it with a teleconverter. I'm not into wildlife like many others are, but it would give me an option to try a few birds/animals without buying a longer telephoto lens. And I want a teleconverter to use with my D750 and D610 anyway.

Can you please enlighten me as to the differences between the Nikon 1.4 and 1.7 teleconverters? I am not interested in the 2.0 at all. Thanks for any info.

480sparky

The difference between the 1.4 and 1.7 is exactly........... 0.3. jester.gif

I bought the 1.7 to go specifically with my 70-200, but rarely use it in that configuration since I got the 200-500. But as with any TC, the higher the magnification, the more IQ you're going to lose. If you pixel-peep, you will probably notice the difference. But in most real-life situations, you typically will not.

Woodyg3

Contributor
I use a 1.4x TC with my 300mm f/4 pretty much all the time, and the IQ is excellent, FWIW. The downside, of course, is loss of light. Your 70-200MM f/2.8 would become a f/5.6 lens with the 1.7 TC. Kind of a bummer.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I use a 1.4x TC with my 300mm f/4 pretty much all the time, and the IQ is excellent, FWIW. The downside, of course, is loss of light. Your 70-200MM f/2.8 would become a f/5.6 lens with the 1.7 TC. Kind of a bummer.

Wouldn't the 1.7 converter switch my f/2.8 to f/5 and the 1.4 converter to f/4.5? I realize the loss of light will affect the AF ability especially in lower light situations which is why I am leaning towards the 1.4 right now.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I also wonder why the older TC-14E II is compatible with more lenses than the TC-14E III. It does make choosing that much more difficult.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Wouldn't the 1.7 converter switch my f/2.8 to f/5 and the 1.4 converter to f/4.5? I realize the loss of light will affect the AF ability especially in lower light situations which is why I am leaning towards the 1.4 right now.

Yep, bad math on my part. :)

singlerosa_RIP

from Nikon's site.....

Amount of light lost when using teleconverters

• When using a 1.4x teleconverter, you lose 1 stop of light, so for example, when using an f/2.8 lens, the widest aperture you can use the lens at is f/4;
  • A 1.7x teleconverter will lose 1½ stops of light, so with an f/2.8 NIKKOR lens, you will end up with an effective wide aperture of f/4.5;
  • A 2x teleconverter loses 2 stops of light, so an f/2.8 lens drops down to a wide aperture of f/5.6.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
from Nikon's site.....

Amount of light lost when using teleconverters

• When using a 1.4x teleconverter, you lose 1 stop of light, so for example, when using an f/2.8 lens, the widest aperture you can use the lens at is f/4;
  • A 1.7x teleconverter will lose 1½ stops of light, so with an f/2.8 NIKKOR lens, you will end up with an effective wide aperture of f/4.5;
  • A 2x teleconverter loses 2 stops of light, so an f/2.8 lens drops down to a wide aperture of f/5.6.

Lol! I don't doubt you got the info from Nikon's web site, but their 1.4 and 1.7 converter calculations just don't make sense. Thanks for the info. Maybe someone who has a constant f/2.8 70-200mm with one of these converters can tell me what their aperture really is.

480sparky

Lol! I don't doubt you got the info from Nikon's web site, but their 1.4 and 1.7 converter calculations just don't make sense. Thanks for the info. Maybe someone who has a constant f/2.8 70-200mm with one of these converters can tell me what their aperture really is.

1.4 TC makes it an f/4. 1.7, f/4,8.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

480sparky

Thank you.

Now I need to decide whether to go with the 1.4 or 1.7 converter. If I go with the 1.4, the older converter seems to be compatible with more lenses. One lens that I have considered is a pre-owned 300mm f/4 (the one without VR). It isn't compatible with the newer 1.4 III converter though.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_INC/IMG/...eleconverter-Compatibility/EN_Comp_chart.html

Thanks for all the info. :cool:

Get both. Problem solved. :cool:

I originally bought the 1.7 the same time as the 70-200. It's still a nice combo although I don't use it now since I have the 200-500. I then found a good deal on a used 1.4. That pretty much stayed sandwiched between the 200-500 and my D7100.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I found a used Nikon TC-14E II (1.4x) Teleconverter that has a little dust inside for $249. Will the dust affect image quality?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I did wind up getting the used Nikon TC-14E II (1.4x) Teleconverter today. I'd like to find some type of small padded case for it so it doesn't move around inside my bag. I try not to carry more than I need at any one time. All I could find is this one by Op Tech. I am hoping to find one with either a velcro closure or a zipper though. Any suggestions?

OP/TECH USA Fold-Over Pouch #301 (Black) 7801042 B&H Photo Video
OP_TECH_USA_7801042_Fold_Over_Pouch_301_3_X1_5_1399039559000_902991.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
That's not a pouch... that's a soft lens cap.

Nikon sells their new TCs with a soft pouch.

CL-0918 Soft Lens Case from Nikon

You can probably find one on FleaBay for cheap.

Thanks for the info. The teleconverter I got wasn't listed as coming with a pouch on Nikon's site. The pouch you listed might work, but I am hoping for something with a little more protection. The pouch I linked earlier is a neoprene fold-over pouch, but I would prefer zippered if possible. I did find this one by Olympus that might work although possibly a little large.

Olympus Extra Small Barrel Style Lens Case for m.Zuiko 260347

olympus_260347_extra_small_barrel_style_1457642966000_1236283.jpg