Post your latest purchases.

SteveH

Today, I think I found Bag-topia! I have just finished "Moving in"!
Manfrotto Bag.jpg
Pro Light Camera Backpack: 3N1-35 PL MB PL-3N1-35 - Backpacks | Manfrotto

Also, at the same time, we bought these for my wife...

OpticronCountrymanBGAHD10x42RoofPrismBinoculars.jpg

Opticron - Countryman BGA HD

ETA: Photos aren't mine, they are from the manufacture's individual websites.

Last edited:

SkvLTD

Outfitted the bike a bit earlier - U lock and chain combo, back rack, bottle holder, set of lights, spare tube. Now to tinker with a basket or something like that for the backpack.

J-see

I got another Lowepro Hardside 300. Adding the D7200 I got short on space in the other two cases. I prefer having a case for each cam + the lenses I use most on them + their hoods. I dislike having to search around for those hoods all the time. Luxury problems.

Hardside-300_Left.jpg

Nero

It's not the Hoya HD but a friend was selling this for a decent price and after looking online I saw it had good reviews overall so I thought I'd take a risk. I'll be able to try it out soon hopefully.

IMG_20150516_160247.jpg

Vincent

I have trouble getting good pictures our lately, mainly behind in PP.

I still do not understand how, but I got into flashes.
Yes I had a SB800 on my budget, but looking at how to work with flash, it seemed like I would go for more flashes.
I already had a Sony HVL-F20M however that one is a pure replacement of the in body flash on the Sony A7 series (even if a bit better). I got upset at start since I could not find a good Nikon/Sony TTL solution, since TTL is very brand specific.

So after looking in the matter, in stead of a new SB-910 which is 399€ locally; I bought 2 SB24 flashes for 80€. Very good performers if you look at Speedlights Power Index | Speedlights.net
With this a very cheap (70EUR) remote rf system, 3X iShoot PT-04 C receivers (for 2 flashes each), hoping this would work on my A7s and it does. So there I was set for using 2 flashes off camera manually for the rare occasion.

Then a person offered a SB800 for 80 EUR, that is at a price I did not want to mis, it is now paid, hopefully posted. On the D70s or D7000 this can be used in iTTL off camera with the internal flash as controller. Then I found an offer 75 EUR, for a Minolta 5600 HS D, which I could verify now, does work TTL with my A7s + F20M.

High Speed I can do on the D70s with the CCD sensor (instant read out) in Manual up to 1/8000s, not having the flash fully on the shoe. First test with the A7s and the 5600 HS D on Manual, I was at 1/3200s when I noticed that HSS seemed to work. I took some pictures at 1/8000s but still have to check how good it is. On the D7000 with the SB800 it should be possible as well. The rest of the budget went on some reflectors and Manfrotto gear to complement my tripods as flash/reflector holders. Actually I went slightly over budget due to the special Minolta flash foot (iISO).

So now I end up being a natrual light photographer with 5 flashes, but on the budget of 1 top flash. The iShoot does work (all receivers tested) and quite far, but it is feeling cheap. The only real issue is making the Minolta work with the rest, but I bought adapters.

==================

To come back on why I got into flashes:
1) Natural light photographer is to say you did not get into flash photography yet. I do not fully agree, but flash photography is an important aspect of photography, so you should have done flash seriously before saying you do not like it. I still believe I will be a documentalist (showing what is) more then a picturalist (creating) photographer.

2) Some pictures are impossible without flash. Fast action in low light or high contrast sometimes can only be solved by flash. (I exclude HDR since mostly something in my scene moves and I generally do not like HDR effects)

3) Flash is better then lightroom. Sometimes it is better to improve a bit the light (be a photographer) then to try to use software tricks (be a retoucher) to recuperate the shadows. I take extreme high ISO pictures, do light painting, etc... but there are some things where a flash adds a lot of advantages.

4) Probably the last reason that came to me, but maybe the most important. Photography is about capturing light, flash allows you to master light and shadows. Once you master the light and shadows, a lot more creative photography becomes possible. You are not limited to time and weather, clearly the best is to find the ideal natural light, to support the scene, but with good flash technique you are not blocked by un-flattering light, you can manipulate the light and shadows, solve or improve the situation, when you have to ...

SkvLTD

To come back on why I got into flashes:
1) Natural light photographer is to say you did not get into flash photography yet. I do not fully agree, but flash photography is an important aspect of photography, so you should have done flash seriously before saying you do not like it. I still believe I will be a documentalist (showing what is) more then a picturalist (creating) photographer.

2) Some pictures are impossible without flash. Fast action in low light or high contrast sometimes can only be solved by flash. (I exclude HDR since mostly something in my scene moves and I generally do not like HDR effects)

3) Flash is better then lightroom. Sometimes it is better to improve a bit the light (be a photographer) then to try to use software tricks (be a retoucher) to recuperate the shadows. I take extreme high ISO pictures, do light painting, etc... but there are some things where a flash adds a lot of advantages.

4) Probably the last reason that came to me, but maybe the most important. Photography is about capturing light, flash allows you to master light and shadows. Once you master the light and shadows, a lot more creative photography becomes possible. You are not limited to time and weather, clearly the best is to find the ideal natural light, to support the scene, but with good flash technique you are not blocked by un-flattering light, you can manipulate the light and shadows, solve or improve the situation, when you have to ...

Its all about the light, so MORE and directional/controllable NEVER hurts. Natural light, indeed, can only do so much and less so when you lack it. I tried being natural light guy as an excuse not to get a flash back 2 years ago, but since I'm budgeting for more and more because I need them and 2 are already starting to not be enough. I did get lucky effectively getting my 910 for 565EX, so its almost the same level deal you got on your 800.