Shadow Removal

JJM

I have been down a salt mine in Poland and taken shots and forgot the lens hood was still on. This has left a semi-circular shadow at the bottom of each image.
Does anyone know a foolproof way of fixing this in either Lightroom or Photoshop?

J-see

I'm having a hard time imagining what this shadow looks like but did you try vignetting in lens corrections.

Horoscope Fish

I have been down a salt mine in Poland and taken shots and forgot the lens hood was still on. This has left a semi-circular shadow at the bottom of each image.
Does anyone know a foolproof way of fixing this in either Lightroom or Photoshop?
Without seeing some of the images in question I'd be inclined to suggest either using the Clone Stamp, or making a selection of the shadow, and seeing how Content Aware/Fill would handle it. You might need a combination of both techniques: use Fill to knock out the bulk of the problem and the clean up the remnants with a Clone tool or Healing Brush.

Last edited:

Eyelight

I'm guessing the shadow is of the lens hood from an on camera flash. Photo example would be good as mentioned.

If it is black shadow with no detail, then filling and cloning, as [MENTION=13090]Horoscope Fish[/MENTION] mentions, is probably the only options.

If the shadow has some image detail, you might be able to use the adjustment in LR to lighten the region. In PS, I would be thinking to copy the region into a new layer and work with the area to bring it up.

BackdoorArts

It all depends on how much detail is available in the shadow. If you're absolutely lightless outside of the flash then it's likely that the smartfill option is likely your best bet with additional cloning as needed. With some light information you may be able to use a combination of layer masks and adjustment layers with various blend modes to bring out the detail, but I suspect you'll not be able to get it seamless given the situation you're describing.

JJM

Thanks for all the replies. I did not actually use the falsh as the lighting was sufficient DSC_7551.jpgDSC_7552.jpgDSC_7553.jpg

JJM

Yes, correction, I did use the flash in these. The ones where the light was sufficient there is no lens hood shadow.

TedG954

I spent a few minutes with the Clone Brush in Corel. With more time it could even be better. They're not works of art but they will represent your trip in a better light (get it? better light)

DSC_7553.jpg

DSC_7552.jpg
DSC_7551b.jpg

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

The good news is that with most of these the spot requiring correction is indistinct enough that you should be able to fix it rather easily. If you have access to Photoshop, Smart Fill gets it done in a jiffy.

Pass 1 - select the entire area and fill:

DSC_7552-Fill 1.jpg

Pass 2 - Select the area cloned inappropriately and fill again.

DSC_7552-Fill 2.jpg

JJM

Many thanks TedG954 & BackdoorHippie. You have both shown it can be done. I don't have Corel so I will attemp it in Photoshop but I am new to photo processing.
So Smart Fill? I will have a go
Many thanks to all again.

JJM

Thank you BackdoorHippie,
You have shown it can be done. Now I need to learn how to do it. However, I have searched my Photoshop Elements 11 but cannot find Search Fill. Any chance of a blow by blow instruction or pointer to same? I would appreciate your help as I have about 20 images affected by my silly failure to remove the lens cap!
Many thanks

BackdoorArts

Yes, it's Content Aware Fill - sorry about that. Here you go, no searching necessary.

BTW, I omitted this from the video, but before doing this always duplicate the layer you're working on so you work non-destructively (i.e. you can always scrap the layer and start again).

JJM

Many thanks BackdoorHippie.
Amazing and just what I need to show me how. I will watch the video a couple more times and give it a go.
Thanks for your time.