Aviation photography

m4ilm4n

Haven't posted for quite some time, but got this and many more last week from my driveway. The only post processing was a crop and a resize.
B017G Part 3 034a.jpg

mac66

If you took that from your driveway, I'm even more jealous. What a great photograph. If you don't mind, I'd like a copy of that one for my wall ;)

I went to the airshow a few weeks back. Like you said, the 55mm is no good for action shots, but I did get a lot of static images. Will have to post a few. I did however practice some of the action settings and static settings. Was a lot of fun, playing with them.

m4ilm4n

No problem Mac66 - feel free to use it. It's the EAA's Aluminum Overcast B-17G. It was at Manassas last weekend selling rides. Seemed like they knew I'd be out, because almost every time they made a trip they'd see me out in the street then make a big looping turn so they could come right overhead. Once, twice, OK that's coincidence - but six straight times?
B017G Part 3 028a.jpg
Oh - and this one came by a few weeks ago as well - CAF's Sentimental Journey (the nose art is awesome - they got permission to use Betty Grable's pinup).
B-17g 093a.jpg

mac66

Here is a cute little jet, I saw, on the way into the airshow. I believe it's a Dornier Alpha sub-sonic jet. Only wish I had been able to get some pics of it flying, was pretty awesome.

DSC_1594_8866-GS-sub-sonic blue.jpg

mac66

My son and I, had the pleasure to tour the Aluminum Overcast, when it came here two or three years ago. The amazing thing about these old bombers, is how cramped they were inside. Can't imagine spending ten hours cramped inside that thing, freezing your butt off over the Atlantic!

m4ilm4n

FYI - Culpeper Airfest (culpeperairfest) is hosting the Potomac Flight - a B-25, P-51 and about 28 T-6s (yes, 30 WW2 aircraft!) will fly from Culpeper to Andrews AFB, the Pentagon and Arlington National Cemetery. If you're in the DC area I highly recommend catching this.

Weather washed it out today but they plan to go between 11A-3P tomorrow. I saw the T-6s and the Trojan Horses (T-28s) practicing formations earlier this week, and the sound of the flyby is amazing. Hope to post a shot or two tomorrow.

mac66

I'm way over on the west coast, but thanks for the link. Look forward to your pics ;) Nothing going on here. The main airshow is over and the Warhawk, I think is done for the year. That said, I want to revisit the Warhawk Museum and see if I can get some good shots inside. I,m going to dig through my past photo's and see if I have anything good. Hope the weather cooperates out there. ;)

mac66

Just visited your link. What a show! See they will have a Hawker Harrier. Don't miss it! Was stationed at RAF W. Raynham in the mid sixties. We used to watch them test the Harriers. They had them tethered to the ground, while they practiced vertical take-off. One day, a pilot flamed out at the end of his tether and crashed to the ground, spilling jet fuel. The whole front end caught fire, and they had one heck of a time getting the pilot out. One day on our airfield, saw six jets approaching...all Harriers. They came to a stop in mid-air, probably only 2,000 ft or less above me. Hovered for a minite then zipped off. Only time I had seen them in the air.

m4ilm4n

Well - not as good as I'd hoped, the weather does not want to cooperate - but as promised, here's one from the first pass.
Patriot Flight 016a.jpg
Photobombed by the chase plane - LOL.

mac66

Quite a collection of warbirds. Oh well, some days better than others. Like I said, it's about over for us here, as far as aircraft go. I did happen by the park this AM, and got some good shots of fall colors. About the only thing I saw flying, was a gaggle of geese, lol!

m4ilm4n

As they used to say, some days you get the bear some days the bear gets you. Here's the flight back -
Potomac Flight 2 009a.jpg
A little saturation adjustment to make the colors pop and a bit of a sharpen mask, but dirty air is dirty air.

m4ilm4n

I did not get to see the Harrier - that got rained out, as did most everything else. I wanted to check on the local group's BT-13 restoration as well, but it was closed up due to the rain too.

mac66

I did not get to see the Harrier - that got rained out, as did most everything else. I wanted to check on the local group's BT-13 restoration as well, but it was closed up due to the rain too.

That's too bad. It's really a unique aircraft. I was looking over the BT-13. That must of been the next single engine trainer after initial training. My dad trained in the Ryan, but washed out and became a Nav Instructor. The BT, looks to have been the next step in training, is that right?

Not my image!

2145151025_63a591e22d_z.jpg

Flckr-
D. Miller
Ryan PT-22 Recruit The Ryan PT-22 Recruit is a military trainer aircraft used by the United States Army Air Corps and it successor, the United States Army Air Forces for primary pilot training. It was the first monoplane that the Army had used for primary pilot training, as all previous PT aircraft were biplanes.
Contents.
(Airventure 2005)
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Last edited:

m4ilm4n

Yeah as I understand it the BT-13 is sorta like a T-6 without retractable landing gear or hydraulic system; once basic in the Stearman or Ryan was completed phase 2 of training was in the BT-13 "Vibrator".

mac66

Yeah as I understand it the BT-13 is sorta like a T-6 without retractable landing gear or hydraulic system; once basic in the Stearman or Ryan was completed phase 2 of training was in the BT-13 "Vibrator".

That's good to know. I'm writing a book on the families military history. Never knew what the next aircraft would have been, had dad completed Primary. ;) I'll have to do a bit of research on the BT.

m4ilm4n

Nice - Bell 206 Jet Ranger, I believe. We don't get much crop dusting around here except the occasional AgCat; most of the spraying has been for gypsy moth control (I have a video somewhere from a few years back of a converted DC-3 spraying for moths).