Post your Insect shots

Ironwood

Excellent Brad! Are you manual or auto-focusing?

Pat in NH

Manual Pat. I have found for subjects close to the lens I am better off using manual focus, I just set the focus to almost 1:1 and just move the camera in and out to get the insect in focus.
​I can get the shots quicker that way before the insect takes off.

RockyNH_RIP

Manual Pat. I have found for subjects close to the lens I am better off using manual focus, I just set the focus to almost 1:1 and just move the camera in and out to get the insect in focus.

Thanks... I find myself more accurate but not sure it would be fast enough for the bee's. I will have to try it on one.

Pat in NH

Just-Clayton

I shoot this way quite a bit. It was hard at first. I use a mono-pod to help out.

Ironwood

Thanks... I find myself more accurate but not sure it would be fast enough for the bee's. I will have to try it on one.

Pat in NH
The speed will come with practice Pat, took me a while to get the hang of it.

I shoot this way quite a bit. It was hard at first. I use a mono-pod to help out.

I dont have a monopod, but will get one at some stage.
​How do you go when shooting things at different heights, do you adjust the height between shots, or just lay it down at an angle to suit each shot ?

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
The speed will come with practice Pat, took me a while to get the hang of it.

I dont have a monopod, but will get one at some stage.
​How do you go when shooting things at different heights, do you adjust the height between shots, or just lay it down at an angle to suit each shot ?

Brad, you're a woodturner, make an adjustable one.

Ironwood

Brad, you're a woodturner, make an adjustable one.

The store bought ones are adjustable Marilynne, same as a tripod leg.

I havent even seen one used before, so I am just wondering about how they are used. I imagine it would slow you down trying to adjust the height for each shot when shooting insects, so I am thinking they might be set to get the camera at eye height, then just lay the monopod over at an angle to get the height you need for each shot.
​As I said, I have never used one, so I might have it all wrong here.

WeeHector

Pollen-covered honey bee

Pollen-covered bee.jpg

Scott Murray

Robber Fly is amazing.
​I assume you used photo stacking for this but how did you get it to stay still?
I asked it very nicely, actually I was amazed at how close this little bugger would let me get and it wasn't until I "bumped" it with the lens when trying to use the tripod that it flew away. I also find that Damsel flies and Dragon flies of an evening allow you to get within touching distance.

Scott Murray

Your Robber Fly shot is awesome Scott. The detail in it is amazing.
​Did you use flash for each of those shots ?
Brad with my current set up I am always using onboard flash. I am posting a comparison with the difference between only flash and flash and homemade diffuser. Thats in my other thread.