D7200 review

J-see

If you are referring to the wildlife shots which point out the advantage of the greater reach with the same focal length lens by the DX sensor vs an FX sensor, it is a very scientific approach since it compares the images at the SIZE THEY WILL BE VIEWED. Too many people simply look at 100% crops without regard to the real life size that the picture will be viewed in. Full frame pictures have to be cropped significantly to be the same angle of view as a DX sensor. The review takes this into consideration when making comparisons.

Clearly, when you can control camera to subject distance, the FX cameras will still have advantages. I can't get that crazy Kingfisher to come any closer and pose for me, though. :)

As far as I know you can't take an (identical) shot with a D7200 and a D810, magnify the D810 by 1.53x and get the exact same shot (digital size).

They're both a different resolution to start with so even when the shot has a crop factor difference, the digital end result does not differ 1.5x. When I'm displaying both shots identical, I can never have applied a 1.5 magnification and get identical sized shots. Something needs to be scaled up or down to get that.

In the end when shooting the D810 FX mode, there's only a 1.25x difference. Even with an 800mm attached, the sharpness difference isn't what's shown there. If, I have a D7200 that's malfunctioning.

Last edited:

J-see

I'm really struggling with the Tamron. The first time I tuned her there was a considerable difference between 150 and 600mm and after shooting, focus was not great. I tuned her again yesterday at 420mm and there she suddenly has a range from -4 to +4 which implies no tuning is required. I'm testing AF set to zero now and see how that goes. This far it's pretty ok when I shoot single point but the moment I use more, I get a lot out of focus shots.

_D720537.jpg

I have no idea what is going on but I'm sure it has more to do with the lens than the cam.

J-see

I took that review comparison to the test. It's not that the D7200 doesn't take a good shot; as you will see. It's that the comparison in that review is as reliable as a laundry commercial.

What I did here was take the same shot with the D7200 and the D810; both at max mode. I imported them in capture and exported those as TiFF to ensure there is no difference in sharpening applied. Then I cropped the exact same portions and saved those in an identical resolution for all. The D7200 has the advantage of being scaled down while 3 out of 4 shots of the D810 are rather close to 100% crops. There are slight differences in exposure (ISO difference). No sharpening, no noise.

Check for yourself:

_D720579.jpg _DSC7625-1.jpg

_D720585.jpg _DSC7678-1.jpg

_D720588.jpg _DSC7679-1.jpg

_D720590.jpg _DSC7681-1.jpg

As you see the D7200 does a good job but the D7200 shot in the review is being pimped.

After shooting the 300mm I see that my focus issues before are lens related.

Last edited:

J-see

This is an 6+ stopper (6400 ISO) which is pretty clean for a crop sensor. It required a bit of work and being able to start with "more" shot helps but even so; not too shabby especially when brightening up this much.

_D720618-1.jpg

I could not have done this with the D3300.

cbay

The only opportunity to try out the AF so far was this heron that flew by yesterday. There is no possible way to have done this even by accident with my D7000. Two out of three shots were in focus and didn't deserve either of them. Second shot is a crop of the first.

DSC_0035.jpg
DSC_0035-2.jpg

cbay

I'm wondering if i may have a setting wrong for burst mode. Comparing burst speed to the 7000 is a HUGE difference in that the 7200 is about half the speed. Could this be the file size causing this? I increased the shutter speed to check and no difference; maybe 2 frames per second at best.

J-see

I'm wondering if i may have a setting wrong for burst mode. Comparing burst speed to the 7000 is a HUGE difference in that the 7200 is about half the speed. Could this be the file size causing this? I increased the shutter speed to check and no difference; maybe 2 frames per second at best.

2 frames a second can't be unless you're using a floppy disk as storage. ;) There must be a problem since I don't have any issue shooting bursts. You're shooting C-h (release mode dial) I assume? If not, try that.

Last edited:

cbay

2 frames a second can't be unless you're using a floppy disk as storage. ;) There must be a problem since I don't have any issue shooting bursts. You're shooting C-h (release mode dial) I assume? If not, try that.
Checked, C-h , It's quieter than the D7000 and may be misleading me some, but no way it's shooting as fast. I'll play around with it today and see.

J-see

Checked, C-h , It's quieter than the D7000 and may be misleading me some, but no way it's shooting as fast. I'll play around with it today and see.

Are you maybe shooting burst with AF-C set to focus only? That could compromise your burst rate if it waits on focus confirmation.

cbay

Seems ok now, i went through a bunch of settings last night after i was done and maybe it was set to focus (?).

J-see you and Mike are both very helpful. :) Still not as fast as the 7000 though. :p

J-see

I think I got the Tamron about set on the D7200. The problem was habits. She's not sharp at the same apertures as on my other cams which is strange but true. At 420mm f/8 and f/11 at 600mm.

Anyways; something strange I noticed while fumbling with the lens. I was shooting with VR enabled, AF-C S and had the focal point at a bird's head but when I looked at the shot, it indicated the focal point above the bird. I did it several times and each time the focal point my shot showed was too high. Without VR the focal point was where I had it during the shot.

Anyone else notice this issue?

cbay

I think I got the Tamron about set on the D7200. The problem was habits. She's not sharp at the same apertures as on my other cams which is strange but true. At 420mm f/8 and f/11 at 600mm.

Anyways; something strange I noticed while fumbling with the lens. I was shooting with VR enabled, AF-C S and had the focal point at a bird's head but when I looked at the shot, it indicated the focal point above the bird. I did it several times and each time the focal point my shot showed was too high. Without VR the focal point was where I had it during the shot.

Anyone else notice this issue?

Often times when the VR engages and "clunks" i can see the image shift in the viewfinder. Shooting birds that are mostly static and using back button focus i often don't get a focus point to see after shooting - focusing on the head and recomposing.

On the burst rate issue, it's still pretty slow and i'm thinking it's because of shooting 14 bit. Do you guys shoot 12?

J-see

That the image shifts when VR activates is normal. That's the viewfinder algorithm that activates.

I shoot 14 bit. Are you maybe shooting RAW + JPEG or using the second card as backup?